Going in RAW - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Going in RAW

Ok, now that the Z car show is over I can use my memory sticks for more of what I want to take pics of. I want to play with RAW. Do any of you have any tips and/or advice? I don't know what I'll taking pics of because I typically just carry my camera with me everywhere I go and just take a pic of whatever.

Still, so far I've found out that a good piece of software to use is Adobe's Camera RAW. Anyone use this or something similar?

I'm just trying to get familiar with this type of photography. It's very new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

RAW is just the uncompressed picture. Basically the digital camera's "negative". Taking pics is the same in RAW as it is in JPEG.

As for programs to work with RAW.. Adobe CS, CS2, CS3, your camera's maker should have a program you can buy (should be free with the price of some of these cameras), Corel Paint SHop Pro X & XI, JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 (before Corel bought them and JASC is a better program IMO), The Gimp (free) and a few others. Those are teh biggies I know of (use CS & PSP9 myself. Havent tried Firewire MX yet with raw files.). If you are on XP, make sure you locate the RAW image viewer update. Lets you preview raw pics like you can with jpeg.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
RAW is just the uncompressed picture. Basically the digital camera's "negative". Taking pics is the same in RAW as it is in JPEG.

As for programs to work with RAW.. Adobe CS, CS2, CS3, your camera's maker should have a program you can buy (should be free with the price of some of these cameras), Corel Paint SHop Pro X & XI, JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 (before Corel bought them and JASC is a better program IMO), The Gimp (free) and a few others. Those are teh biggies I know of (use CS & PSP9 myself. Havent tried Firewire MX yet with raw files.). If you are on XP, make sure you locate the RAW image viewer update. Lets you preview raw pics like you can with jpeg.
I have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, CS2 (about to get CS3) and Lightroom. All have been great to use. I guess I was leaning towards more of experiences with RAW too. I know RAW deliver better quality because it's a compressed losslessly and to a lesser degree than JPEG. They also give a wider dynamic range and allow more changes.

Knowing all that I now want to use this format. There is a potential show coming up in Dallas and I want to go out and take some pics of ideas I have. And RAW seems to be the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I shoot in RAW 99% of the time. Mostly because I am too lazy to white balance and set exposure. With RAW you can go back and do it all in post processing. I don't shoot a thousand pics a day so RAW works for me. The only time I shoot in JPG mode is when I have to take a lot of pics in one session.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm opposite of maoisn...unless I know I'm shooting a picture to frame it, I simply use the cameras processor. I don't have the time or desire to go through and edit every raw picture...might as well use the power of the D80 and it's processor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:58 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Even in RAW I can still use the camera's processor. I use Nikon Capture to automate the settings and I can resize multiple photos with just a few clicks. I just prefer RAW as it gives me the option to go and change settings later on IF/WHEN I so choose.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I tried raw for a while. Although it got to be cumbersome having to go through and edit each photo, and I found automating didn't really work well for me. I'm back to shooting Jpeg's and occasionally if its something important I'll switch to jpeg/raw mode where it store both at one time so I have the raw backup shot.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode