give me your recommendations on a DSLR or what not - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

give me your recommendations on a DSLR or what not

well i am wrapping the camera back up and going to return it.

i have seen the limitations of this camera, and well i am not happy with what it can do.

looks like i need to join the DSLR family.

SO what i pose to you none professional/new hobbyist in this hobby from what you know. is what would would you spend 2000.00-2500.00 on?

find me the best in that PRICE range.

mid range lens and camera body.

open to all suggestions.

wanna stay in the Nikon or Cannon family line since it seems they are the top dogs right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM
that punk kid

Sportbike: '05 ZX-6R (636)
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to AdrenalinJunkie Send a message via Skype™ to AdrenalinJunkie
What are you thoughts on the Rebel EOS Xti?

Adrenalin Junkie
- '05 Suzuki GSXR 1000
- ** retired ** '05 Kawasaki ZX-6R
- NESBA "A" #616
- Founder/President - Creatix, Inc.
- Founder - BartendChicago - BartendChicago.com

Wikipedia - Adrenaline Junkie - An adrenaline junkie is somebody who feels as if they are addicted to adrenaline. Adrenaline junkies may enjoy competing in extreme sports like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle racing, or anything else that gets their heart rate up. This sort of addiction is brought on by enjoying the (adrenaline) "rush" gained from these activities.
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Nikon D40 or D80.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

You probably already know waht I'm going to say. IMO the best bang-for-buck out there is the D40. The Rebel XTi is just a little bit more, but is very comparable.

I went round-and-round for a month or two boucning between the Nikon D40, D50, D70, D80 and Canon EOS XT, XTi, 30D before finally pulling the trigger on the D40.

What I learned was that (1) as long as you go Canon or Nikon you'll have excellent suport for info and gear, (2) they are all awesome cameras so it's basically how much you want to spend, and (3) you have to test-drive the bodies. On paper I was going to get the XTi but I LOVED the feel of the D40 and the controls are top notch. Consider that the most important aspect of the body is 'taking pictures' and realize that without fast, intuiative controls you'll be fumbling will missing a potential photo-op.

I also think that for the hobbiest the Nikon is the slighty better choice while Canon is better for the more serious person willing to drop big coin on L-glass.

What I would/have/will do for that range is:

Camera Body:
D40 w/ kit lens (18-55mm) <$600

Lens:
18-200 VR lens $750
Get on the list, they are on 3 month backorder and it's probably the only lens you'll need or want until you get into wide angle or need longer reach (300mm+ for the track days)

- 2G Ultra II or Extreme III SD Card
- Good bag/backpack/shoulder bag
- Lens filters/covers/hoods

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3

Last edited by shadrach; 06-11-2007 at 12:22 PM.
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Wasn't the manual for that point and shoot challenging enough? "Hooked on phonics, it worked for me!"
Got to vote Nikon.

Under200
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
You probably already know waht I'm going to say. IMO the best bang-for-buck out there is the D40. The Rebel XTi is just a little bit more, but is very comparable.

I went round-and-round for a month or two boucning between the Nikon D40, D50, D70, D80 and Canon EOS XT, XTi, 30D before finally pulling the trigger on the D40.

What I learned was that (1) as long as you go Canon or Nikon you'll have excellent suport for info and gear, (2) they are all awesome cameras so it's basically how much you want to spend, and (3) you have to test-drive the bodies. On paper I was going to get the XTi but I LOVED the feel of the D40 and the controls are top notch. Consider that the most important aspect of the body is 'taking pictures' and realize that without fast, intuiative controls you'll be fumbling will missing a potential photo-op.

I also think that for the hobbiest the Nikon is the slighty better choice while Canon is better for the more serious person willing to drop big coin on L-glass.

Camera Body:

Lens:
18-200 VR lens $750
Get on the list, they are on 3 month backorder and it's probably the only lens you'll need or want until you get into wide angle or need longer reach (300mm+ for the track days)

L-glass?

post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
D80!

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
D80!
i played with the D80 today as i returned that camera. i liked the layout of the features.

i think nick is not gonna like his D40X "if thats the newer model" you have the access the menu screen to go through the setting instead of on the top window on the fly adjust.

i heard that D200 is a bad mutha fucka!

post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
L-glass?
the term for Canons, professional shit. If you want top of the line, it's what you buy.

Mikon and canon both build great rigs. Like I told you before, if your going to be asking me for help buy a canon, if your going to be asking bill for help, buy a Nikon.
The D40 is the best "deal" going out there right now. I like Caonons personally as there is an endless supply of lens choices available in every price range, and theres no waiting lists.

If you want canon, look at either the 30D or the XTI like mine. Best buy had a 30D in thier sale add yesterday, with a lens but I dont remember which one.

as far as Canon lenses, For zoom I have a 70-300 with Image Stabilization that was about 500 bucks through amazon.com. Everytime I use it is when my photos get compliments.

I also have the standard kit lens which rarely ever comes out anymore.

Another is my 17-55 with Image stabilization from amazon, that was another $500.00

then I have a 50mm Prime lens (no zoom range) that was believe it or not, only 79 bucks through amazon but takes awesome portrait type shots.

then your going to want to invest in filters for all of it. Circular polarizers and UV filters, plus any specialties filters you may feel the need for.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

ahhhhh good info tony.

Last edited by HDTony; 06-11-2007 at 01:35 PM.
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Camera Body:

Lens:
18-200 VR lens $750

+1 on everything said above however I would also consider the D80 as someone else stated. The D40 and Rebel xTI feel uncomfortably small in my hands. When I went out for the day with the Rebel that I borrowed from a friend, it was not as nice to hold for extended periods of time like the D80 is which is much bigger.

Go hold a D40 and then hold a D80 and ask the store to put on a bigger lens so that you can see how they feel when they are weighted forward more. One thing I didn't like about the Rebel was that there is only one screen. I really like having my menu/preview picture screen and having the settings screen on top near the trigger. Overall you can't go wrong with picking any of the cameras, it's pure personal preference there. Worry more about which lens to get once you have the camera.
post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
ahhhhh good info tony.
Also if you end up just buying a body and no lens as you want to buy a good lens, you can borrow my kit lens till you get what you want, but of course thats only if you go Canon.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

thanks dog.

ill play it by ear on which brand to learn towards when i have a good sit down with bill too.

i know taste and opinions differ.

post #14 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Oh ya, the canon versus Nikon debate can be worse than the Amsoil v Mobil1 v Rotella debate. My suggestion would be pretend you have both, and start shopping for lenses, then choose which camera is going to work with the lenses you want.

check the reviews section on Fredmiranda.com look at the canon lens review section as well as the Nikon section. Some of your best info is right there. This will help you make your decision. either camera can do what you want, but your glass is where you are going to spend your money and expand. I've spent more on glass then I have my camera and thats very normal.

- Ronald Reagan

post #15 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM

And to note, that no matter what camera you get, there's nothing wrong with the super zooms/SLR-Like cameras like the one you had. I probably have dozen or so framed shots which I took with my old Panasonic FZ-30...one of them a nice beach shot that's printed 24x36 and framed over my fireplace.

I think you had the right idea in getting an SLR-like camera for starters. Master the shots, and then move on. You might be more frustrated since you are taking closeups which are not the specialty for that camera.

Last edited by BIGGY; 06-11-2007 at 01:50 PM.
post #16 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
And to note, that no matter what camera you get, there's nothing wrong with the super zooms/SLR-Like cameras like the one you had. I probably have dozen or so framed shots which I took with my old Panasonic FZ-30...one of them a nice beach shot that's printed 24x36 and framed over my fireplace.

I think you had the right idea in getting an SLR-like camera for starters. Master the shots, and then move on. You might be more frustrated since you are taking closeups which are not the specialty for that camera.
thats why i bought it from best buy with there 30 day return.

crash coursed the last few weeks of reading and camera usage and photshop learning.

returned it all! and got my money back.

man i love corp America sometimes

post #17 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
thats why i bought it from best buy with there 30 day return.

crash coursed the last few weeks of reading and camera usage and photshop learning.

returned it all! and got my money back.

man i love corp America sometimes
I guess. My timescale was more like a couple years before I got rid of the FZ30
post #18 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I guess. My timescale was more like a couple years before I got rid of the FZ30
Ya but you take breaks for things like work, sleep, food etc. Ken has not showered in a week and has done nothing but take pictures and read shit

He is a tad bit OCD when it comes to new hobbies

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Ya but you take breaks for things like work, sleep, food etc. Ken has not showered in a week and has done nothing but take pictures and read shit

He is a tad bit OCD when it comes to new hobbies
all true except the showing part. IF i was single! i probably wouldn't have showered.

BUT since i have access to 24hour wife booty, i shower at least once a day

post #20 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
all true except the showing part. IF i was single! i probably wouldn't have showered.

BUT since i have access to 24hour wife booty, i shower at least once a day
Ok, in that case, go and buy the D80 today. Get 5 different lenses of your choice, the extended warranty, SB-800 flash, battery/grip extender, and some Manfrotto tripods/monopods, UV and CP filters (one of each for each lens).

Then next week get the D200 and upgrade all your equipment
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, in that case, go and buy the D80 today. Get 5 different lenses of your choice, the extended warranty, SB-800 flash, battery/grip extender, and some Manfrotto tripods/monopods, UV and CP filters (one of each for each lens).

Then next week get the D200 and upgrade all your equipment
This is Ken we are talking about. do you honestly think this scenario wont happen?

- Ronald Reagan

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i have a feeling it will take me longer to master the art of a good photographer then it will to learn how the functions work and correlate between each other and alter them for the desired finished product.

but i already picked up a manfrotto mono pod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_Section.html

also gonna order this tripod up soon too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...60_Tripod.html

post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

You need the vest too

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...st_Medium.html

- Ronald Reagan

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

already got 1 , IN BLACK!

post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:50 PM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

ok back on topic please.

we have plenty of time to make fun of me when i get all geared up with my vest and French hat with smoking pipe taking photos..lol

post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

One common complaint I see from people the is the ergonomics of the common bodies. The Rebel is notorius for having a cramped right-hand grip, while the D80 is MUCH larger than the D40.

I personally like the D40 as it's comfortable, small, and light.

If the camera is to annoying to carry around then it doesn't matter how awesome the pictures might be.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
One common complaint I see from people the is the ergonomics of the common bodies. The Rebel is notorius for having a cramped right-hand grip, while the D80 is MUCH larger than the D40.

I personally like the D40 as it's comfortable, small, and light.

If the camera is to annoying to carry around then it doesn't matter how awesome the pictures might be.
on the flipside of that, I don't want a camera to be any bigger than it has to be, as it's more of a pain in the ass to carry around. this is why I dont put the extended battery grip on mine.

- Ronald Reagan

post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Here is a list of things for you to spend money on Ken.

Start here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25235

http://www.thepierceco.com/tripods/320205.htm

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=2139#

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2151

This should keep you busy for a little while.

And a good read for ya > http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200...d40-5d-xti.htm

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

well let me tell you since most of the body sizes and grips are a personal issue.

i need something BIG in my right hand. its very use to grabbing onto large things, lets just say

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode