Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

18 - 200 Nikkor VR lens for sale

2K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Lonely Raven 
#1 ·
I need to consolidate my collection and originally bought this lens as a walk around lens, but never use it.

Its in perfect condition and works great! I have a couple UV filters for it, and I think I have a step-up ring also, 72-77mm metal ring...

Asking $500, I think it retails for $800 something.

#5 ·
I don't think so, I'm going by my old house to get all my equipment rounded up, I might be selling more... I'll let ya know...

call the cell though, I don't have very good computer access at home, dad doesn't trust me since the AOL phishing 10 years ago :lmao:

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry, it is sold.

It is the VR not VRII, I got it when this thing first came out. The VR still works, but I mentioned to (ETA: the buyer)____ that if it starts to fail or have problems, Nikon is aware of the issue.

I got it thinking its a great lens... it is, but not for what I like to do, it is a good snapshooter... I like faster f/ stops and shallower DOF's... Great walk-around lens, just not for me.

#14 ·
From what I understand, all of them are VRII, none are VR.

And if you got it when it first came out, it came from the Japan plant where the pro Nikkor lenses come from, and not the Taiwanees plant that the current 18-200VR come from.

Personally I don't think it matters since QC is so high with Nikkor, but some people feel the Japanese made ones are better.

Either way, great lens for what it is.

#15 ·
Yep, picked it up last night and love the lens. I was on the fence about getting on the 3 month wait-list for one at retail price, but I jumped on this post when I saw it.

Thanks again Mort, heading out for lunch right now and will try it out in the daylight :)

#18 ·
Wow, is it still sold out? Why is it still so popular? I understand it's a wide zoom range, but I like having my 18-70 and then a 70-300. Yes swapping lenses is no fun, but it ain't all that bad, and I like the zoom.

#19 ·
I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but the large influx of DSLR's that are becoming more attracting to the prosumers cause the P&S don't cut it... the shutter lag, and stuff, I guess.

But everyone is going DSLR now that digital has become dependable and trendy. This lens is the perfect walk-around lens for the prosumers and hobbyists who don't want to change lenses or whatever.

Not trying to bad mouth prosumers and hobbyists(as I am one of them), just saying, DSLR's and this lens are in high demand and their production lines are having a tough time keeping up.

I got lucky, there was like a 30 minute window when it was available about a year ago, and I got one...

#20 ·
I guess it's a fad like anything else. I do see a fair amount of guys buy nice cameras and then walk around with them on auto mode taking photos that look identical to those of P&S. But hey, that's America I guess and cameras aren't exempt from being a fad item too.

#21 ·
Unfortunately this is very true.

I jumped into D-SLR when my friends got into it. I went to the library and got some books on photography, read all sorts of forums and online journals and blogs about photography...and within weeks I was talking like I knew how to use the camera (in theory if not in practice), and I was shocked to find all my friends who got cameras months before me were still running them on Auto! And worse yet, the "specs" of a lens, or more specifically the range it covered was more important to them then performance. Reminded me of people who brag about a 1000watt home stereo (that sounds like shit), and are confused by my 5 watt tube amp sounding so good.

Again, the 18-200VR is a good lens for what it does. It's probably the best "all around" lens and I know many pro shooters who use it for carry around, P&S style shooting. That alone says something about it.

#24 ·
Point taken. The term pro is used very loosely so I like how you put it in quotes. It's not for everyone, especially considering people shoot differently. I'd still give the lens a try for a walk around lens.

#28 ·
Here are some from a local rock band Jostlen Weed... I know them through a couple friends and wanted to try out my 50mm f/1.4 in low lighting. No flash was used, I hate flash, and everything was handheld, most were shot at about ISO1600 and came out pretty decent...

ETD: extra image.

Thanks for asking, thought I'd never get to show off my shots! HAHA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.