I like this shot - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I like this shot

Took this today while crusing around Wisconsin w/ 20 other Skys and Soltices:

I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, but the lone corn husk and the yellow in the Sky make a neat photo.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

See if saturn wants to use it, for a fee of course.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Oh yeah, nice shot.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

cool shot.

but personally and thats the whole thing with pictures. could it be possible to make the whole thing clear and in focused? the tree line maybe not. but the car and the corn would appeal to me more in focus.

once again this is just a personal thing.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:27 PM
YO MAMA

do you mind if i take your picture and change some things in it.
i will post my results, and if you dont like just let me know and ill delete it.

and no i wont play some stupid joke on you.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM
mmhhhmmm

Sportbike: I am currently accepting donations
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to lady_yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
well looks like you signed off, so i hope i dont over step my bounds. if so i am sorry let me know and ill delete this.

but i just composed it a little better for you.

again this is personal, and maybe i am totally wrong here.

let me know what you think.

see when i look at my version it makes me think, saturn clean running car, safe for the environment.

while the car is the overwhelming part in your shot the focus of the corn pulls you to it.
gives a good focus point when some of that excess space is taken out.

http://www.myspace.com/jsmith2

"What the body does is immaterial as long as the imagination is free"
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
YO MAMA

figures

i deleted it, because he didnt say yes.

so ill wait till tomorrow if he does ill post it.

thanks though.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

"Saturn..

We'll make your stalk rise."

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 AM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
"Saturn..

We'll make your stalk rise."
e85 makes my saturn run!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Colors are real sharp, great contrast, and technically, looks really good.

Dunno what you used, but maybe if you opened up the aperture a little bit, you DOF would be a little larger giving the car some focusing attention...

That green is super sharp and love it!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I've been shooting at F8 at lot with that lens as that seems to be the sweet spot for sharpness.

I'm comfused by the 'open up the aperture a little bit' statement, though. From what I understand 'open up" means 'stop down', meaning a lower f/stop value. If I stop down to f/4.5 or somthing lower (aka larger opening) that will in fact decrease the Depth of Field (making it more shallow), not increase it. I need to stop up to a much smaller aperture size to increase the DOF, bringing more of the foreground and background subjects into focus, like Ken would prefer.

So I totally hope you just have a typo, as I thought I has this whole DOF vs. Aperture thing straight in my head

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
I've been shooting at F8 at lot with that lens as that seems to be the sweet spot for sharpness.

I'm comfused by the 'open up the aperture a little bit' statement, though. From what I understand 'open up" means 'stop down', meaning a lower f/stop value. If I stop down to f/4.5 or somthing lower (aka larger opening) that will in fact decrease the Depth of Field (making it more shallow), not increase it. I need to stop up to a much smaller aperture size to increase the DOF, bringing more of the foreground and background subjects into focus, like Ken would prefer.

So I totally hope you just have a typo, as I thought I has this whole DOF vs. Aperture thing straight in my head
yeah, typo my bad! was trying to think before my coffee!

Although, you can shoot at a lower f/stop value with a small focal range and get a good amount of depth... but you get my point...
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

My mom just got an '08 Sky turbo. Some things are just not fair.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Why Does My Finger Stink?

Sportbike: Bikes I had Prior to being run over! 05' Adventure 950 - 05' 525 EXC - '01 MILLE - '95 SPRINGER
Years Riding: 1981
How you found us: Shrek told me!

I like the photo compostition but am really confused on what it is that you are trying to photograph... The Corn or the Car??? If it is the Corn then get the car out of the picture... If it is the Car then get it in focus (not the corn)!

I think you need to read a couple of photography books (not the one that came with the camera )

If you want I will give you some books to read on how to compose your work and general RULES of Photography. NOT the internet crap! There are real rules on composition and such that would help everyone. I think you could do really well once you have this knowlege, but I am not going to just hand it out you have to earn it like the rest of the pros, or purchase it!

TIP #1
Go the the local college / university book store and get the text book(s) for the Photography 101 course! Start there, good luck.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
I like the photo compostition but am really confused on what it is that you are trying to photograph... The Corn or the Car??? If it is the Corn then get the car out of the picture... If it is the Car then get it in focus (not the corn)!

I think you need to read a couple of photography books (not the one that came with the camera )

If you want I will give you some books to read on how to compose your work and general RULES of Photography. NOT the internet crap! There are real rules on composition and such that would help everyone. I think you could do really well once you have this knowlege, but I am not going to just hand it out you have to earn it like the rest of the pros, or purchase it!

TIP #1
Go the the local college / university book store and get the text book(s) for the Photography 101 course! Start there, good luck.

Thanks. I didn't want to say it. I'm sure people are tired of me preaching photogrpahy.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:44 AM

My take is also a bit confused. I really like the idea that it's an attempt at something different. Not simply the "ooh, pretty view, here's a picture", but a nice attempt at a sharp contrast. I think that one of a couple things would have worked better for me. Better framing of the car with maybe more focus on it and the background being the field and sky. Or simply a different backdrop for the car that would compose the shot better. Anyway, it's different and interests me because of that fact.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I don't care if anyone else likes it, I like it the way I took it. I'm not a pro or an artist, I just shoot what looks neat to me in the viewfinder. I understand the 'rules' but to me the first rule is 'there are no rules'.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Sportbike: Bikes I had Prior to being run over! 05' Adventure 950 - 05' 525 EXC - '01 MILLE - '95 SPRINGER

Well there obviously was a misunderstanding... None is saying that your shot is bad just that we are confused at what you are trying to do.

First of all with everything there are 'rules'. Without them nobody could get good enough to break the 'rules'. This goes with everything, riding included. Imagine how you would look if you had the "THERE ARE NO RULES" attitude while riding, if were trying to keep up with a couple of us you would CRASH! You can figure out the rest... Now imagine what your photo looks like to the rest of us that know and follow MOST of the rules... You look and sound pretty silly!

You needed to be shown the path, so that you can take your skills (which I pointed out that you have a good eye) and build on them and create your own 'style'. Thats all I was trying to say. I hate forums for this reason, lost in translation problems and fragile egos.

Next time don't publish your crappy picture if you don't want someone to comment on it.

Take it in stride and move forward, learn from the comments especially if they come from Pros and experienced shooters. If they took the time to say something they most likely saw something that was good... Oh you didn't think of that did ya...

My rant is over!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I understand your point, I just don't want this forum to turn into a 'everyone please critique every photo'. I'd like to see people just share pictures without the fear of the 'pros' dropping the hammer on them every time

This photo was not something that I wanted a review of my skills rated on, I just thought the corn vs. yellow car was an neat suprise, as I wasn't thinking that when I shot it.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3

Last edited by shadrach; 09-02-2007 at 08:58 AM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Well if you don't want people to comment on your photo then do one of two things...

1)Don't post it

2)Or don't post it in here
(ie Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here).

Also I don't know who you are referring to when you say PROs and what is dropping the hammer??? Are you making reference to me and my previous comment? If so stop right there and go read it again. I gave plenty of help to you to explain your idea PLUS giving you a couple of tips you could use without attacking or "dropping the hammer" on your photo.

I have my pictures TORN apart by other Pros (people that make millions of dollars a year being a photographer) and I don't ask for their opinions but they hand them out from time to time when I post them up, I take their comments and knowledge (no matter how cruel)apply it to my work and go from there. Knowledge like this cost thousands of dollars and great amounts of time to gather, so it is a real gift when someone tries to help you.. and hands it to you for free. Remember we are all little fish in a big pond to someone else!

Show some F#$%in' Respect.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM

amen! wowwwww
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
The Benchwarmer

its a cool picture in that alone

i agree that its hard to understand which of the two things corn/car you're trying to photograph IF you look at it from a "professional" point of view. but you posted it just cause you thought it was a cool shot, and it is and thats what I take it as.

if he wants to take the advice of those on the forum he would most likely ask for it and for the criticisms, he just posted and said "hey i like this shot, its neat".... thats all. and thats what it should be taken as.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Show some F#$%in' Respect.
Jeez, I don't even know how to reply that. First you say that your weren't saying it wasn't a bad picture, then you say not to post my 'crappy' pictures online.

I wasn't being disrespectful of your original post, but respect is earned not given.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Jeez, I don't even know how to reply that. First you say that your weren't saying it wasn't a bad picture, then you say not to post my 'crappy' pictures online.

I wasn't being disrespectful of your original post, but respect is earned not given.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Quote:
I understand your point, I just don't want this forum to turn into a 'everyone please critique every photo'. I'd like to see people just share pictures without the fear of the 'pros' dropping the hammer on them every time

This photo was not something that I wanted a review of my skills rated on, I just thought the corn vs. yellow car was an neat suprise, as I wasn't thinking that when I shot it.
I agree with ya that's why I stopped posting pictures. I personally don't care about any "rules". The pictures I take and keep are because I like them, I don't need them judged as they aren't for sale. I'm on a photography forum for picture critiques. No where in the description of this forum does it say "photo critique".

"This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here."

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 AM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
I agree with ya that's why I stopped posting pictures. I personally don't care about any "rules". The pictures I take and keep are because I like them, I don't need them judged as they aren't for sale. I'm on a photography forum for picture critiques. No where in the description of this forum does it say "photo critique".

"This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here."

+1

maybe from now on when posting pics put like..

* critique welcome

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:11 AM

For you guys that want your photos professionally critiqued....

www.photographyreview.com
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
If you wanted your backs patted then please post I'm a sissy so don't hurt my feelings before posting pics. Criticism good or bad is always good in my opinion.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
If you wanted your backs patted then please post I'm a sissy so don't hurt my feelings before posting pics. Criticism good or bad is always good in my opinion.

Are you kidding? I don't believe he was looking for compliments rather just sharing some of his photos. Some of you people are unbelievable. He wasn't asking for criticism... Didn't your mommy ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything? I'm glad you have an opinion but that doesn't mean everyone else shares your same views.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Whether you are looking/asking for complements or not doesn't matter. It is understood that when you post your pics up, people will critique them. Some will like them and some won't. It has nothing to do with having something nice to say or not. That's the nature of photography. People will critique your work whether you like it or not. If you want a back patting circle jerk forum, go somewhere else.

Welcome to the real world. Watch your step.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode