the NEW Nikon D300! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

the NEW Nikon D300!

sounds KICK ASS!

We are Happy to offer the Just Announced Nikon D300 Digital SLR Camera for Pre-Sale Now!

By placing your Nikon D300 Digital SLR Camera order today, you can firmly establish your place in line for this exciting new product.
# Our orders are always filled in the order that they are placed, and your credit card will not be charged until your order has shipped.

Order today and be the first to get this exciting new item!

Nikon today introduced its most advanced DX-format digital SLR camera, the D300. Engineered with pro-level features and performance, the 12.3 effective megapixel D300 combines brand new technologies with advanced features inherited from Nikon's newly announced D3 professional digital SLR camera to offer serious photographers remarkable performance combined with agility.

Similar to the D3, the D300 features Nikon's exclusive EXPEED Image Processing System that is central to driving the speed and processing power needed for many of the camera's new features. The D300 features a new 51-point auto focus system with Nikon's 3D Focus Tracking feature and two new LiveView shooting modes that allow users to frame a photograph using the camera's high-resolution LCD monitor. The D300 shares a similar Scene Recognition System as found in the D3 that promises to greatly enhance the accuracy of auto focus, auto exposure and auto white balance by recognizing the subject or scene being photographed and applying this information to the calculations for the three functions.

The D300 reacts with lightning speed, powering-up in a mere 0.13 seconds and shooting with an imperceptible 45 millisecond shutter release lag time. The D300 is capable of shooting at a rapid six frames per second and can go as fast as eight frames per second when using the optional MB-D10 Multi-Power Battery Pack. In continuous bursts, the D300 can shoot up to 100 shots* at full 12.3 megapixel resolution.

Nikon's D200 digital SLR camera was a runaway success for because it embodies everything that performance-conscious photographers demanded. With the D300, Nikon has raised the bar with remarkable new features, greater resolution and speed, and even higher image quality. The D300 delivers an unmatched combination of quality, performance and value that's hard for discerning photographers to resist.?

The D300 incorporates a range of innovative technologies and features that will significantly improve the accuracy, control and performance photographers can get from their equipment. Its new Scene Recognition System advances the use of Nikon's acclaimed 1,005-segment sensor to recognize colors and light patterns that help the camera determine the subject and the type of scene being photographed, before a picture is taken. This information is used to improve the accuracy of auto focus, auto exposure and auto white balance functions in the D300. For example, the camera can track moving subjects better and by identifying them, it can also automatically select focus points faster and with greater accuracy. It can also analyze highlights and more accurately determine exposure, as well as infer light sources to deliver more accurate white balance detection.

The D300 incorporates Nikon's new Multi-CAM 3500DX auto focus module that features an intelligent array of 15 cross-type sensors and 36 horizontal sensors. These sensors can either be used individually or in groups, with the option for Single area AF mode and Dynamic AF modes using groups of either nine, 21 or all 51 focus points. The system also features 3D tracking with automatic focus point switching that takes advantage of all 51 AF points as it uses color and light information to accurately track the subject. Nikon's new Scene Recognition System and improved focus algorithms also contribute to the impressive performance of the new 51-point AF system.

Nikon's new Picture Control System makes it easy for users of all experience levels to select and apply adjustments to how their pictures are rendered and create optimized settings to suit their individual preferences. The same settings produce consistent picture tone, even when using different camera bodies. The Picture Control System offers four basic setting options - Standard, Neutral, Vivid and Monochrome. These can be directly modified for easy adjustment and customization of image parameters, such as sharpening, tone compensation, brightness and saturation. Photographers can customize and store up to nine customized options in the D300 and export up to 99 to a CF memory card, enabling photographers to share settings among multiple cameras that feature Picture Control System.

Taking a cue from the popularity of Nikon's D-Lighting technology, the D300 features a new Active D-Lighting mode that, when enabled, provides remarkable real-time highlight and shadow correction with optimized image contrast. Active D-Lighting produces broader tone reproduction in both shadows and highlights by controlling highlights and exposure compensation while applying localized tone control technology to achieve a more pleasing level of contrast across the entire image. And because the advantages of Active D-Lighting are applied as images are captured, image editing time can be shortened.

The D300's LiveView feature offers two modes for confirming subjects and composition on the new 920,000-dot, high-resolution 3-inch LCD monitor while shooting. The Tripod mode is designed for precise focus and accuracy when the camera is on a stable platform and the subject is not moving. In this mode, the camera focuses on the subject using focal-plane contrast and any point on the LCD screen can be selected as the focus point for the picture. The second mode, called Handheld mode, allows photographers to use the camera's conventional TTL focusing system, with all 51-points and 15 cross-type points available. When using this mode, the camera activates focusing immediately when the shutter button is pressed, to ensure accurate focus.

The D300 also employs a new self-cleaning sensor unit. Four different resonance frequencies vibrate the optical low pass filter in front of the image sensor to shake particles free and reduce the appearance of dust.

Refined Ergonomics and Usability
The D300 inherits one of Nikon's most streamlined, functional and aesthetically pleasing layouts in a digital SLR camera, designed to enable photographers to take pictures with less fatigue, greater accuracy and comfort.

The camera's viewfinder provides virtually 100 percent coverage so pictures can be framed accurately, while an ultra-high definition 920,000 dot VGA LCD screen on the rear of the camera displays images with vivid color and clarity. Its 170-degree wide viewing angle makes it easy to compose shots using the LCD screen in LiveView mode.

The D300 features rugged magnesium alloy construction and the camera's shutter mechanism is tested up to 150,000 cycles. The 3.0-inch LCD is strengthened with tempered glass and the D300's rubber gaskets and seals protect vulnerable entry points from dust and moisture.

Price and Availability
The D300 will be available from Nikon Authorized Dealers beginning in November 2007 for an estimated selling price of $1,799.95**. With the introduction of the D300, Nikon's current lineup of digital SLR cameras now includes the new D3, D2XS, D300, D200, D80, D40x and D40.
** Estimated selling prices listed are only an estimate. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Did you end up buying a camera yet?

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

nope, not exactly.

i have 2000 set aside now for that D200 Kit with the body, lens etc.

but now i think i wanna go for the D300 why not, but now i gotta save some more hope they come out with D300 kits by Xmas time. ill wait till then at least to see what kinda bundle kits they put out for Xmas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM
mmhhhmmm

Sportbike: I am currently accepting donations
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to lady_yamaha
Pretty...

http://www.myspace.com/jsmith2

"What the body does is immaterial as long as the imagination is free"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
nope, not exactly.

i have 2000 set aside now for that D200 Kit with the body, lens etc.
Since you are saving money for a mack-daddy camera, you might as well go for the D300. I assume you understand the impact of the full-frame lenses? Since you don't have anything yet, it's probably a good time to start with the full-frame stuff and go from there.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
You first. I'll do it if you do it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

this sites going to turn into chicagolandphotographers soon....

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 PM

get the d3
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Since you are saving money for a mack-daddy camera, you might as well go for the D300. I assume you understand the impact of the full-frame lenses? Since you don't have anything yet, it's probably a good time to start with the full-frame stuff and go from there.
I just went from 30d to 40d...
I had considered holding out for the d300 as I only have a couple lenses.. and my wifes brother has.. lots (including the 70-200f2.8 vr) which is.. woo

I have been trying to talk him into going with the d3 over the d300.. i guess we'll see.. btw.. not sure if i misread.. you know the d300 is dx.. right? 1.5 crop factor..

the d3 is ff.. and.. wow.
then again.. canon will never be beaten up top (d300 vs 40d.. yea.. nikon pretty much takes it..) but .. mark 3 or 1ds mark 3... canon beats even the mighty d3 coming out soon.

and lets not forget lenses.. canon has the best line of them...
I have been renting lenses from calumet photo.. so far been pretty happy with that

Expect to see 2 of these or maybe 1 of these and 1 of these around all the guys at the track in the dorky vests with the long white lenses... Damn.

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 09-27-2007 at 12:59 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Smart man there.

I was only lookin to get the new 24-70 f/2.8 lens, but the more I read about the D300, the more I want it as well.

I've put my D70s up for sale, so I'm pretty serious about the upgrade.

Ken, unless you can get a D200 on a killer deal, jump on the D300.

I'm not sure if you are the kind of guy that upgrades regularly if you need to or not, but the D300 is feature rich enough to keep you busy for a LONG time.
I personally want to upgrade for the better low light capabilities, since I find myself shooting low light more often then I'd like...and I'd like to be using my Pro Level Zoom lenses rather then primes for a lot of this lowlight stuff.

If the D300 is as good as the specs look (and Nikon is known to be conservitive about specs and features), then it will be a major jump up from the D200, which is already a fantastic camera!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post

and lets not forget lenses.. canon has the best line of them...
I have been renting lenses from calumet photo.. so far been pretty happy with that
That's a pretty bold statement.

Each brand has their weaknesses, and Canon pro's will bitch about the wide angle and "kit" lenses where Nikon has it in spades.

Canon has some Rockin' long lenses, but Nikon's latest releases help shore up an outdated telephoto lineup.

Now if Nikon can update a bunch of their lenses and get some of those cool specialty lenses (that Canon already has) like a fine wide angle Tilt/Shift lens, then the lens issue will be moot.

As for body technology, Canon is spanking Nikon in the sports/photojournalist catagory with that high speed monster they came out with....but Nikon hasn't unveiled their high speed sports camera yet!! So far they've only shown us the D300 which is the high end amateur camera, and the D3 which is their "Pro Studio" or simply a "Pro" camera.

With Nikon dropping *most* if not all of their film production, their factories are now geared up towards producing digital and hopefully catching up with their other shortcoming which is GETTING THE DAMN PRODUCT OUT AND ON THE SHELVES. Canon being a MUCH larger company has the facilities to R&D and get product out sooner and in larger quantities then Nikon.

Nikon is doing pretty well considering how small they are (compared to Canon).

As you can tell, I'm a Nikon fan, and I try not to Canon bash. Each has their strengths and weaknesses...you really need to go with what works for you, and has the lenses and bodies that suit what *you* need the camera for at a price point that suits *your* budget.

OK, 'nuff rambling. Just trying to get a more balance point out there.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
You can sit here and at each other about Nikon vs. Canon for ever....

There is one thing to understand here they (Nikon) started late in the digital game, but if ya ask me, they're doing alright keeping up since they don't even make their own fucking sensors.

Yeah, Canon does have a lot more glass to choose from, for booku $$$. I laugh at people who say one is superior over the other. I was grandfathered into Nikon and like their ergonomics more than Canon, but they are both top of the line DSLR's, and I can't say one is better than the other.

Hey Eric, WTF are you talking about the low light is better on the D300, I haven't read this anywhere... Just wondering...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Quote:
I have been trying to talk him into going with the d3 over the d300.. i guess we'll see.. btw.. not sure if i misread.. you know the d300 is dx.. right? 1.5 crop factor..
You are correct, the D300 is still DX 1.5x field of view, I mixed it up the D3.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Nikon vs Canon. they are both excellent cameras. the arguments are lame as it usually boils down to specs that dont make a difference except for the 1% of critical eyes with magnifiers. when it comes time to print they both make beautiful images. this new d300 does look like an awesome camera, If I wasn't already invested in Canon Glass I would be thinking about it.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post

Hey Eric, WTF are you talking about the low light is better on the D300, I haven't read this anywhere... Just wondering...
Besides the fact that I chat with Pro's who have been using Pre-release versions of the D300 for months now.....better low light sensitivity and noise handling were some main design points of the new CMOS sensor.

The 15 Cross type AF sensors are going to help in both motion tracking (like shooting at the track) and low light focusing. This is also a major plus for me as I don't care much for the single line focus sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Nikon vs Canon. they are both excellent cameras. the arguments are lame as it usually boils down to specs that dont make a difference except for the 1% of critical eyes with magnifiers. when it comes time to print they both make beautiful images. this new d300 does look like an awesome camera, If I wasn't already invested in Canon Glass I would be thinking about it.
Well said. Being invested in lenses is a key point. As is Ergonomics IMHO.

But with both Nikon and Canon coming out with such fantastic new lenses, I'd have to be heavily invested in one over the other! LOL

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
That's a pretty bold statement.

Each brand has their weaknesses, and Canon pro's will bitch about the wide angle and "kit" lenses where Nikon has it in spades.

Canon has some Rockin' long lenses, but Nikon's latest releases help shore up an outdated telephoto lineup.
As you can tell, I'm a Nikon fan, and I try not to Canon bash. Each has their strengths and weaknesses...you really need to go with what works for you, and has the lenses and bodies that suit what *you* need the camera for at a price point that suits *your* budget.

OK, 'nuff rambling. Just trying to get a more balance point out there.
Woah Woah Woah! I didn't mean to bash either.. Had no idea that was such a touchy subject, but thinking about it.. I should have realized it would be as touchy as say Mobil 1 vs Motul)

I certainly didn't mean to bash either.. My brother in law is a nikon guy (has a d200 now.. talking about d300.. i am trying to talk him into just getting the d3)
I had went back and forth on the whole canon nikon thing.. Having access to his lenses was a huge selling point... From what I had read.. Canon had Nikon for sports photography.. (only issue being.. that really isn't at most of our level of the game.. Canon had Nikon at the 1ds level.. I can't afford an 8k body)

When I said Canon had Nikon on lenses.. I was basically quoting him.. He probably had 8 lenses or so (like i said earlier.. he has the nikon eq of the lens I want.. the 70-200mm F2.8 VR - I have rented the Canon version (basically the same name, add an L((and like a grand)) to it) when I was saying Canon beat Nikon on lenses.. I wasnt referring to kit lenses.. I was referring to lineup of lenses... and quality of the L line of lenses.. that said.. we all know the problem with L lenses (unless you won the lottery recently) they run well up over 10k for a single lens (the 600mm is.. i think 11k retail. you can find it in the high 8's online i believe.. not popping another window to look)

So.. Definately no bashing on either brand..
It's like bashing an R6 over a GSXR6 over a 600rr. They are all so damn good.. and really none of us are good enough to get out of them all they can do.

I took this pic at Joliet Motorspeedway IRL race a couple weekends ago.. Think this guy is compensating for anything? (that's not a lens, that's a fricken telescope)

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 09-27-2007 at 11:20 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Consier, what I said wasn't against you...I just wanted to get more clear info out there so people can make their own decisions. I didn't mean to imply that you specifically were bashing any brand, sorry if I sounded that way.

I just see too much that people say something like Canon lenses spank Nikon lenses or vice versa, without any details or reasoning, and other people quote it like gospel but don't know why....

Personally, I think Canon is a silly brand, and I'd love to bash them...but Nikon has too many faults of their own for me to start in on anything. LOL

Let's all hope that Sony and Panasonic get their shit together and start producing some useful products! While they won't put much of a dent in Canon and Nikon's market share, they might just force the big two to drive prices down a bit! I'm all for that!

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Quote:
It's like bashing an R6 over a GSXR6 over a 600rr. They are all so damn good.. and really none of us are good enough to get out of them all they can do.
Bingo.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 AM

I was talking about my brother in law who is the nikon guy (d200 now - trying to talk him into d3.. probably going for d300)

Thought I would post a link to his profile up here.. I like his stuff and thought maybe some of you would as well...

He also shot my wedding.. so if you want to see that.. it is there (cant imagine you do.. but.. figured i should warn you)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kungpaolam/

Just a few samples from poking around his site while I wrote this post...

Tried talking him into going to the track with me this year.. He shot that track and field even above instead.. I'll try again next year...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode