Photography classes - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Photography classes

Anyone taking or taken a photography class in the chicago area that can recommend a school? I'm looking for something DSLR specific (no interest in film). I'm not looking for a "degree" class, I want something practical, maybe that incorporates photoshop? Also, I've self taught the basics: Aperture, Shutter speed, camera operation, etc. So I'd rather not waste the money on a basic class. I'd really like to learn more about metering, white balance, and photoshop processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

I haven't taken a class myself but various community colleges might have the photography classes.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I took one at College of Lake County. Digital Photography was the name of the course, and it sucked.

There were morons in there that didn't own a digital camera, and those that did were using P&S's and didn't know how to turn them off or charge them.

The few of us that had the basics already down pat spent a lot of time helping the other students. I learned a lot about Photochop, that was the main reason I took the course.

As far as a photography "degree" course, I don't know what the you are talking about. You can be a "film major" or of the sort. The course I took was 3 art credits and could be applied toward a degree if need be.

Take the class, and read some books. It'll all be really fooking confusing if ya don't do either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
I haven't taken a class myself but various community colleges might have the photography classes.
You'll get the most comprehensive training at a class at a comm college. I learned all the basic SLR stuff plus photoshop there (although back in those days, it was on version 1.5 ).

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

id think they would have good courses downtown at fine art institutions like american academy of art or columbia where my cousin majored in photography

i know those are degree courses like you said you dont want but just a thought. maybe check out local recreation community center for either a photography class or club?

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot

Last edited by Village Idiot; 10-09-2007 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
I took one at College of Lake County. Digital Photography was the name of the course, and it sucked.

There were morons in there that didn't own a digital camera, and those that did were using P&S's and didn't know how to turn them off or charge them.

The few of us that had the basics already down pat spent a lot of time helping the other students. I learned a lot about Photochop, that was the main reason I took the course.

As far as a photography "degree" course, I don't know what the you are talking about. You can be a "film major" or of the sort. The course I took was 3 art credits and could be applied toward a degree if need be.

Take the class, and read some books. It'll all be really fooking confusing if ya don't do either.
Do you even read posts? lol... I've read quite a few books. I DON'T want exactly the type of class you posted about. Looking more for an "adult learners" type class for people that just want to be able to take good photos and have a good understanding of digital SLR's and photoshop.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
Do you even read posts? lol... I've read quite a few books. I DON'T want exactly the type of class you posted about. Looking more for an "adult learners" type class for people that just want to be able to take good photos and have a good understanding of digital SLR's and photoshop.
You asked if anyone in Chicago or the Chicago area has taken a photography class can recommend a school to you. I recommend going to your local community college because it is still informative with a real instructor who knows what they are doing, and because it is more affordable than blowing $1k on something like the New York Institute of Photography.

The class I posted about was the intro course, there was the advanced one after that which required a prerequisite of the intro.

Photography takes more than just understanding the fundamentals and technical aspects, it takes an artistic eye, which not everyone was blessed with (I suck at art, but can take a decent picture). Sure, you can take a good picture, most digital cameras will let you do that, but not all of them are photos that pop out at you grabbing your attention, drawing you in and making you want to look at it more.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya, I just don't think I'm going to gain an artistic eye by taking a class. That's something you either have or you don't.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I hear ya, I just don't think I'm going to gain an artistic eye by taking a class. That's something you either have or you don't.
If you're looking for an artistic eye, then a class might not help that much. Go look at what others do on forums such as http://dpreview.com and participate in discussions. Hands down one of my other favorite sites for critique and some photoshop work is http://www.radiantvista.com/

So if you're looking for that artistic edge and some ideas, then a class probably won't help you. Learning white balance and metering are no different than learning aperture and shutter, they are just another part of the camera to use in your composition...so for something like that you really don't need a class. The only thing you might look to take a course on is Photoshop, but you can also download lessons and learn it on your own as many others have. Mostly you'll learn by example and practice.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
If you're looking for an artistic eye, then a class might not help that much. Go look at what others do on forums such as http://dpreview.com and participate in discussions. Hands down one of my other favorite sites for critique and some photoshop work is http://www.radiantvista.com/

So if you're looking for that artistic edge and some ideas, then a class probably won't help you. Learning white balance and metering are no different than learning aperture and shutter, they are just another part of the camera to use in your composition...so for something like that you really don't need a class. The only thing you might look to take a course on is Photoshop, but you can also download lessons and learn it on your own as many others have. Mostly you'll learn by example and practice.
HOLY #)$*)(@#*$)(@#$)@#$)*@#)$* DUDE. Did you read the sentence you quoted? I KNOW I'm not going to suddenly gain an "artistic eye" from a class. That's what I just said!!! I want a class on photoshop and more advanced camera techniques.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Serious inquiries only

Wat?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Do you even read posts? lol...
I'd imagine when in a post-whore battle with another newb you don't have time to read the message

Wolf Camera offers complimentary classes with camera purchases, but I believe you can sign up for them. That might be a good way to cover the material you are looking for, assuming the teacher knows his stuff.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Take a Photoshop class. OCC and Harper both have them, thats the only way you will learn anythign about photoshop.

Take a REAL film photography class and then read you cameras manual on how to apply to digital camera. Pictures are pictures, film or digital, digital just allows more fine tooning ability in the camera.

Ian
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

MM- that's what I'm going to do. I think I can get by then without the photography class.

Might buy myself a christmas present this year...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM

try this one:

http://www.hydeparkart.org/

You can also check out:
http://www.chicagophoto.org/newweb/index.php
I treid them out and thought they were a bunch of pompous a-holes. So I left and got a refund. But many people say they love it there. They will not ley you bypass their intro class though no matter how much experience you have.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I've decided to continue with the self-teach method.... Bought a couple PS CS3 books today and have already learned a lot. Working on stitching and cloning now. Hopefully I'll have some cool pics to work with tomorrow.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Nick, I'd be mega-jealous if you get the D300. Since my computer croaked, I had to dump some decent cash into a new one, and gave up on the D300 for now.

Anywho, I have some stuff for you. PM me and I'll hook you up. Especially now that you've decided to go down the self motivated path.

Also, what camera do you have currently?

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Nick, I'd be mega-jealous if you get the D300. Since my computer croaked, I had to dump some decent cash into a new one, and gave up on the D300 for now.

Anywho, I have some stuff for you. PM me and I'll hook you up. Especially now that you've decided to go down the self motivated path.

Also, what camera do you have currently?
Here Eric, Just to tease you and rub it in how nice that camera is.

If you haven't already seen any samples.

Here are some D3 samples

Motorcycles, computers, cameras, and no $$ leftover
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Here Eric, Just to tease you and rub it in how nice that camera is.

If you haven't already seen any samples.

Here are some D3 samples

Motorcycles, computers, cameras, and no $$ leftover
Bastid!

I told you the high ISO performance was better!

There is a full rez shot going around the web shot at the highest ISO on the D300, and the blacks are actually black! Not that mottled black with bright blue and red specks like I get with my D200.

That new camera is going to be so HOTT!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode