New Lens - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 279
Location: N/A
Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A
           
New Lens

After getting everyone's opinion, I decided to go to Wolf Camera to use the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. After two pictures I knew it's the lens I wanted. So this morning, I went ahead and purchased it from Amazon.com. Before I bought it, I was looking through the uploaded photos by people who bought it, and came accross HD Tony's Jeep, ha ha. The pictures you posted of that Jeep were motivation alone to purchase the lens. I should have the lens tomorrow, I'm impatient. This weekend I'm getting a good tripod and a remote.

I'm hooked.
Big Frost is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Order up a circular polarizer also. I used one for those Jeep shots. (Hoya)

Congrats, your gonna love it.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Serious inquiries only
 
Mort82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Never-Neverland
Posts: 13,775
Location: Never-Neverland
Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google
           
Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Order up a circular polarizer also. I used one for those Jeep shots. (Hoya)

Congrats, your gonna love it.
+1 Circular polarizers can make a big difference in bright sunlight.

I don't know if you know about regular UV/MC filters just for added protection... I keep one on all of my lenses at all times, but to each his own.
Mort82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
+1 Circular polarizers can make a big difference in bright sunlight.

I don't know if you know about regular UV/MC filters just for added protection... I keep one on all of my lenses at all times, but to each his own.
+1 I keep a UV filter on mine at all times as well.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 279
Location: N/A
Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A
           
Thanks guys, I'm picking those up as well!
Big Frost is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
The Halo hides my Horns
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 12,687
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
           
OK, I can only bite my tongue for so long.

If you do feel you need to get a good UV or clear "protective" lens, make sure you get a good quality one! It doesn't help putting a cheap $30 piece of glass in front of a $300+ collection of high performance glass elements!

Drawbacks of adding UV/Clear "protective" filters are often Internal reflections, and loss of contrast...two things that can spoil a good photo, and are part of what the lens engineers work so hard to make sure you're lens doesn't have!

Typically the hard coating on the front of your lens are far stronger and more reliable then a cheap protective filter. If you are using your lens hood (hoods are there for a reason...no, several reasons), then the only time you really need a protective lens is if you are shooting under "adverse conditions"....something like, sand storm, hurricane, in the arctic during a snow storm, or at Strats when BurntAsh is doing a wheelie.

A quality microfiber and hot breath are all you need to keep your front glass clean and new looking, assuming you are using your lens hood.

Granted, this is one of those debates like using Fram filters or Amsoil or something…but you should at least know the facts and figure out for yourself if you really need a filter for protection. Again, if you are going to do it, at least get a quality piece of glass equal to or better then that of your front element.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Ya but I'm a clutz, so I have them on all my lenses. I'd rather replace a filter than a lens




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Serious inquiries only
 
Mort82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Never-Neverland
Posts: 13,775
Location: Never-Neverland
Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google
           
Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
OK, I can only bite my tongue for so long.

If you do feel you need to get a good UV or clear "protective" lens, make sure you get a good quality one! It doesn't help putting a cheap $30 piece of glass in front of a $300+ collection of high performance glass elements!

Drawbacks of adding UV/Clear "protective" filters are often Internal reflections, and loss of contrast...two things that can spoil a good photo, and are part of what the lens engineers work so hard to make sure you're lens doesn't have!

Typically the hard coating on the front of your lens are far stronger and more reliable then a cheap protective filter. If you are using your lens hood (hoods are there for a reason...no, several reasons), then the only time you really need a protective lens is if you are shooting under "adverse conditions"....something like, sand storm, hurricane, in the arctic during a snow storm, or at Strats when BurntAsh is doing a wheelie.

A quality microfiber and hot breath are all you need to keep your front glass clean and new looking, assuming you are using your lens hood.

Granted, this is one of those debates like using Fram filters or Amsoil or something…but you should at least know the facts and figure out for yourself if you really need a filter for protection. Again, if you are going to do it, at least get a quality piece of glass equal to or better then that of your front element.
Jeez Eric, give us that whole schpeel and then don't offer to us any good filter companies?

I forget, maybe Shcneider/B+W or something.
Mort82 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered User
 
VTEC_EATER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waukegan, Illinois
Posts: 404
Location: Waukegan, Illinois
Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)
           
I use filters on all my lenses. And the grade of filter is dependent on the grade of the lens. My 70-200/2.8VR and 12-24/4 share a Hoya S-HMC Pro 1 UV filter, and they once shared a S-HMC Pro 1 circular polarizer, which fell and shattered... So these are both top of the line filters that are well above the $100 range for 77mm.

My 18-50/2.8 Sigma gets a slightly lower grade of Hoya filter. I think its just the regular HMC version. My 50/1.8 get some shitty Quantaray filter. And my 70-300 gets some sort of Tiffen filter.

I do need to replace my 77mm circular polarizer however. Thats like $150 on ebay for that one. Ouch. But it does really make the sky pop, and minimize surface reflections.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
VTEC_EATER is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 AM
The Halo hides my Horns
 
Lonely Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 12,687
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Ya but I'm a clutz, so I have them on all my lenses. I'd rather replace a filter than a lens
Yeah, that's the thought right...but experience (not mine luckly) shows that when you drop a lens with a filter on it, the filter shatters and damages the front glass (Glass on glass) and the metal filter ring gets imbeded into the filter threads on the lens causing *more* damage then if you just had a hood on the front.

I talk to pro shooters who are all over the world and whos lenses looks like gkotli's track bike. They will only use filters if it's *needed* because experience has shown that they can and do effect image quality, and an impact on the front *with* a filter is often worse then without.


Sorry Bobby, you're right. Sorry. B+W is always my first choice. But the Hoya Pro Digital lineup is a good budget option as well. There is a shop on eBay that imports Hoya from their shop in China with pretty good prices.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome