Cheap Place to find... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Canon Flash Help

Hey photographers... My g/f has a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and she wants a flash for it. I was looking at the Canon Speedlite 430EX and was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions and also do you know of a place or site that I can get it for cheap.

Thanks!

Last edited by suh-c; 12-11-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Anyone???
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I either use:

www.amazon.com
www.adorama.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Noodles, rep sent.

Try this place: www.newworldvideodirect.com - I found it for $210, cheapest so far...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Thanks Noodles, rep sent.

Try this place: www.newworldvideodirect.com - I found it for $210, cheapest so far...
Whenever buying camera stuff, always check reseller ratings. Here's a run down on the link you posted:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rect_nwvdirect

I only read the first page, but most of the people were very satisfied. Sounds like they will call you and say it's on back order and offer a knock off instead, but if you hold your ground, you should be good to go.

Just make sure you don't by a gray market camera from a store in New York, or you could end up with a $900 brick like my D80

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

While I was searching around I saw those gray market products and was wondering what the heck that was. Thanks for the tip and there's no link to click on to buy at this site which means it is probably out of stock. I think I'm better of sticking with Amazon... is Amazon safe though? I've never bought anything off of there...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
While I was searching around I saw those gray market products and was wondering what the heck that was. Thanks for the tip and there's no link to click on to buy at this site which means it is probably out of stock. I think I'm better of sticking with Amazon... is Amazon safe though? I've never bought anything off of there...
Unfortunately, I found out the hard way what a gray market camera is. Pretty much, for Nikons at least (not sure on Canon products), but NikonUSA is the only company that is allowed to import Nikon products into the US. They give their own serial numbers to the products as well as a warranty. A gray market is when some company other than NikonUSA buys the products overseas and sells them domestically.

My D80 is gray market and is no longer writing to the memory card. No where will touch it, even if I pay for the repairs. I have to find a independent shop to fix it, but haven't had time to get the estimate.

Amazon is safe, just make sure you read the ratings on the sellers to make sure you aren't getting a gray market. If the company is based in New York, that's usually a pretty good sign.

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:

Grey market cameras (lenses also) are items NOT intended for sale in the US. Not that they are illegal, but the manufacturers will NOT warranty and in some cases even FIX said grey market item.

As for whats safe, if the store is from the NYC/NJ/Long Island area, AVOID AT ALL COSTS with these exceptions, B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Photo and Cameta Camera. THose are the ONLY honest online shops in the area IMO.

For the flash, did you look at Ritz/Wolf camera, Helix or Calumet in the chicago area?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
Its kinda like taking a Chinese pocketbike to a Honda dealer. Most wont even put the chain back on for you, since it's kind of a conflict of interests.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
Grey market cameras (lenses also) are items NOT intended for sale in the US. Not that they are illegal, but the manufacturers will NOT warranty and in some cases even FIX said grey market item.

As for whats safe, if the store is from the NYC/NJ/Long Island area, AVOID AT ALL COSTS with these exceptions, B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Photo and Cameta Camera. THose are the ONLY honest online shops in the area IMO.

For the flash, did you look at Ritz/Wolf camera, Helix or Calumet in the chicago area?
Thanks Rob, I ended up buying from Amazon and the reviews on the place that was selling them on Amazon were mostly good (fingers crossed). I made sure it said USA warranty before I bought it too. Ritz was the most expensive and Calumet site was confusing and me "A.D.D" kicked in and I didn't know about Helix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137 View Post
Its kinda like taking a Chinese pocketbike to a Honda dealer. Most wont even put the chain back on for you, since it's kind of a conflict of interests.
good analogy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode