Can't wait to see some Nikon 16-85 samples! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Can't wait to see some Nikon 16-85 samples!

This is looking like a yummy lens to trade my 18-70 in for. Never wanted to jump to the 18-200 since I have a 70-300 and this just might be the next new lens! VR too!

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2178
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

At an asking price of $800, its a bit pricey for a consumer zoom if you ask me.

Here are some samples:

http://lensbuyersguide.com/hu/lens/s...#sample-photos

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Looks like a hell of a lens, 800 isnt bad for something that will get that much use.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Where's the price listed at? Or are you converting off the UK price listed?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Where's the price listed at? Or are you converting off the UK price listed?
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-16-85mm-...2312479&sr=8-6

Nesba #611 Advanced
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Kinda pricey for just 2mm more on the wide end. And VR on an 85mm zoom? Sort of overkill.

Another review:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/16-85mm.htm

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Kinda pricey for just 2mm more on the wide end. And VR on an 85mm zoom? Sort of overkill.
I have VR on my small zoom, it's great in low light handheld conditions.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Another review:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/16-85mm.htm
This is generally the primary lens aside from a 50mm for most I would think. All your family vacation shots, party shots, etc...are probably going to be with this lens assuming you have no others in that focal range. So to get VR and wider zoom range it seems worth it to me. That VR will make a world of difference on some indoor shots I think.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
This is generally the primary lens aside from a 50mm for most I would think. All your family vacation shots, party shots, etc...are probably going to be with this lens assuming you have no others in that focal range. So to get VR and wider zoom range it seems worth it to me. That VR will make a world of difference on some indoor shots I think.
My thoughts exactly, i have a lens close to this in the canon lineup, that almost never comes off my camera http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=10511
It is like an SUV, it just does everything well, low light, bright light, indoors, out doors, stills action. I cant complain, it's just the perfect lens.

- Ronald Reagan

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

That 12-24 does look nice though. Sheesh I can't get a 4th lens, must not...must resist...
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
My thoughts exactly, i have a lens close to this in the canon lineup, that almost never comes off my camera http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=10511
It is like an SUV, it just does everything well, low light, bright light, indoors, out doors, stills action. I cant complain, it's just the perfect lens.
Is it just me or does that Canon lens appear to be a helluva lot shorter than both the Nikon lenses? Maybe it's just the pictures.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

it's just the picture. I looked twice at it as well as I own it and know what it looks like.

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

I just don't understand the point with as good as the 18-200 is. If I look at the majority of my walk-around photos, they are +85mm range.

If you don't mind switching lenses then maybe this 16-85 plus the 70-300 would a nice combo.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Hey guys, I am interested in keeping up with the lens discussions as I shoot a lot and am always looking at bodies and lenses. Would you mind including the F on these lenses for discussion purposes?

For example, this discussion is about a 3.5-5.6 lens. That works great for outdoor shots, but is relatively worthless for sports shooting in most high school gyms. Anyone shooting with 2.8 straight or better lenses?

Heck, at that F range, I'd love an 18-200 since it fits most requirements, but most my shooting requires 2.8 and would like even better.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

The 18-200 is an incredible lens.. my brother in law has one and shot most of my wedding with it...
That said.. I think he said it was a bit slow.. If I remember right he was referring to the af....
I could be wrong though...

I need to go pickup a Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS L lens for my cam.. I have rented it a handful of times... gah gah.

My brother in laws friend just got the new d3 and the new nano crystal coated 14-24
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/14-24mm.htm

Looks like Nikon just announced a new batch of lenses

http://www.nikonusa.com/announcement08_lens/index.html
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just don't understand the point with as good as the 18-200 is. If I look at the majority of my walk-around photos, they are +85mm range.

If you don't mind switching lenses then maybe this 16-85 plus the 70-300 would a nice combo.
I have a 70-300 which I rarely use when walking around. I prefer using my feet as zoom since that will provide a better shot about 90% of the time. There's times you want to shoot something that's out of walking range and that's when the 300 comes out, but I'd rather have the extra reach of that 70-300 than just a single 18-200. I think that for most of what I personally do, the 18-70 is perfect...having that extra bit to 85 won't hurt and what I'd really be gaining is a stop from the VR. Plus for me, I think on average you're getting slightly better photo's from something like that 16-85 since it doesn't have as big of a focal range to cover. You shouldn't have to search for that sweet spot as much. But then again a true side by side comparo will tell that difference. But if I can get a better shot with a 16-85 than the 18-200 I'll take it.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Hey guys, I am interested in keeping up with the lens discussions as I shoot a lot and am always looking at bodies and lenses. Would you mind including the F on these lenses for discussion purposes?

For example, this discussion is about a 3.5-5.6 lens. That works great for outdoor shots, but is relatively worthless for sports shooting in most high school gyms. Anyone shooting with 2.8 straight or better lenses?

Heck, at that F range, I'd love an 18-200 since it fits most requirements, but most my shooting requires 2.8 and would like even better.
Yes, this lens would be pretty bad indoors for anything fast unless you're sitting right up front and don't have to zoom in, then you bump the ISO and have at it, but you'll still tend to get better shots with anything 2.8.

For you, if you're doing indoor sports shots, why not go for some prime lenses, then you have f/1.4 or f/1.8 to play with on glass that's going to give you a better shot each time anyway? Just grab a 50 and an 85 f/1.4 and go nuts.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Prime doesn't work for indoor sports. The targets move all the time. For portrait work and a variety of other fixed distance indoor applications, primes are a FAR better solution.

Of course bumping the ISO tend to introduce noise to the image as well... unfortunatley, gym lighting varies SO much from one gym to the next.

At the moment, I shoot 2 main 2.8 straight zooms. An 28-80mm 2.8, and a 70-200mm 2.8. They are the best I can get at the moment, but I need to upgrade my body to a newer chip so that I can get higher ISO levels with greater quality.

I have been shooting a D300 the last two weeks, and it has a 17-55mm 2.8 and a VR 70-200mm 2.8. That fits the bill, but NOTHING compared to what I got shooting the D3 with the same lenses. That was an awesome camera.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
The 18-200 is an incredible lens.. my brother in law has one and shot most of my wedding with it...
That said.. I think he said it was a bit slow.. If I remember right he was referring to the af....
I could be wrong though...
Aside from the lens-creep, I love mine. It's a wonderfully versitile lens.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Prime doesn't work for indoor sports. The targets move all the time. For portrait work and a variety of other fixed distance indoor applications, primes are a FAR better solution.

Of course bumping the ISO tend to introduce noise to the image as well... unfortunatley, gym lighting varies SO much from one gym to the next.

At the moment, I shoot 2 main 2.8 straight zooms. An 28-80mm 2.8, and a 70-200mm 2.8. They are the best I can get at the moment, but I need to upgrade my body to a newer chip so that I can get higher ISO levels with greater quality.

I have been shooting a D300 the last two weeks, and it has a 17-55mm 2.8 and a VR 70-200mm 2.8. That fits the bill, but NOTHING compared to what I got shooting the D3 with the same lenses. That was an awesome camera.
As far as prime goes... I agree... That said with as high of megapixel as the cam your shooting is you could always crop out all of the extra in post processing.. right? (personally .. I would do it as you are doing.. just a conceptual question)

My brother in law has a d200.. wants a d300 and I keep trying to talk him into a d3.. but he is being cheap... his friend got one.. and the tone of his voice when he called me telling me "dude we are sitting in a room with all of the lights off taking handheld pictures of pages in a dictionary from across the room" said more about that camera than any review I have read to date.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yep, VR wont do anything to help stop motion. Its a great feature for panning and camera shake, but a fast lens is what is really needed.

Even at F/2.8, I have found it to be a little slow for indoor sports. While the D300 can crank up to ISO6400, I would really like that to be a last resort option.

Primes can work well for indoor sports, however. If you plan it right, you can use a 50/1.4 for your closer distances, and an 85/1.4/1.8 or 135/2 for the distant stuff.

If need be, both Canon and Nikon make awesome 200/2 with IS/VR in them. These are the ultimate lenses for indoor sports, but make sure you stand far enough back. 200mm indoors is a looooong lens.

So far I have been relatively happy with my current setup: D300/D50, 12-24/4, 18-50/2.8, 50/1.8, and 70-200/2.8 VR.

I would like to get a 35/1.4, but Nikon seems to be taking their sweet old time with producing an autofocus variant of theirs. The Sigma 30/1.4 is an option, but I want to see what Nikon comes up with before I pull the trigger.

Nesba #611 Advanced
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Wink,

I'm in a similar situation with my girls. Gymnastics doesn't allow flash and the lighting indoors is horrible. In fact, they aren't in real gymnastics competing, but I try to follow the rules of no flash.

I used to shoot some volleyball as well. A lot of gyms these days have skylights for extra light, and that really screws with my white balances making it near impossible to get quality shots.

Heck, I even tried switching back to film for a couple days with some ISO 1600 and 3200 film. Still no luck.

I found that the prime is tough to use for sports as well. I have the 17-55 f/2.8 and that is my primary lens. It works for me on the D80, but would love to see what it can do on the D300. Also, I'd love to try out the 70-200 f/2.8 and see what that thing can do.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:46 PM

Mort,

Have you tried renting lenses?
Calumet photo has a huge selection and it's pretty cheap.. I have rented over a couple weekends, which only counts as one day... So 35-40 bucks to rent a couple thousand $ lens for a weekend.. not bad...

My brother in law has the 70/200 2.8 VR.. He loves is.... As far as for motorcycles the Canon eq is excellent..

From what I heard the way the lights make light in gyms makes shooting them very difficult (they strobe thru a # of colors quickly - at least the sodium and mercury lights do).. Are you shooting raw and messing with wb when you touch up or shooting jpg?
I am not an expert obviously..
More curious as to how others are doing it than offering advice...
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:50 PM

I would try a Jpeg shot with auto white balance, and based on that, I would either tune the WB temperature, or just shoot RAW and fix it in post.

If you have to push your camera and lens to its limits, its probably best to just shoot RAW anyways. You will be able to recover the mistakes much better, and end up with some pretty good shots for the very crappy conditions.

Nesba #611 Advanced
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Haven't shot in a while, but I would shoot in JPG/RAW combined. I usually like the JPG one's indoors better

I gotta shoot!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

I like turtles.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Thought you liked snakes.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode