Brand Names - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Brand Names

Ok, I'm a Nikon photographer. But the lenses I would like from Nikon are um, PRICEY!

My question to other photographers here is have you tried Tamron and/or Sigma lenses?

They seem to be way cheaper and offer some great features. Anyone chime in.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Lonely Raven uses Tamron/Sigma, not sure which one.

He'll be in here shortly to help you out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I have used Sigma. They are decent.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
never tried any aftermarket ones. But I have heard that it's either sigma or tamron that nikon and canon use as their manufacturer

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

I have a Tamron 70-300/4-5.6, and a Sigma 18-50/2.8. The Sigma I use as my walk around lens. It works very well for the price point. The Tamron, is a bit slow to focus, and due to its slow aperture is really only good in bright conditions. If I am out shooting with that focal length, I prefer my Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR to the Tamron.

Right now I'm really turning into a brand snob. I guess it just comes from using the pro Nikkor glass. The third party stuff is nice, but when you try the first party stuff against it, you really start to see why the third party stuff is priced how it is.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
pardon my ignorance in all things nikon, but what is the differnce between nikon and nikkor?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

I like turtles.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
pardon my ignorance in all things nikon, but what is the differnce between nikon and nikkor?
Nikkor is just what Nikon calls their lenses.

Instead of saying, "I use Nikon lenses," you just have to say, "I use Nikkor's."

Its just what they do.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM

Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A

(For Canon)
After seeing samples from a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens, I have decided that will be the next lens I purchase.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I have Tamrons along with a nikkor. Tamron's SP series is top notch. All the pics I took at the Milwaukee Zoo were with a Tamron SP 28-75 2.8. Pics here.

Sigma and Tamrons are the top 2 aftermarket lens manufacturers. Tony, Canon and Nikon both make their own lenses. Promaster & Quantaray usually are either rebranded Tamrons or sigmas. Nikon makes its own glass also. I believe Tamron and Sigma get theirs from Hoya (so I heard).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

I have OEM, Tamron and Sigma. As expected, the OEM versions are better. My Tamron and my Sigma lenses work just infe though and were well worth the money.

For saving money, I would encourage you to use eBay. I have bought a few lenses there (from camera shops) and done very well in saving TONS of money on them.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
I have Tamrons along with a nikkor. Tamron's SP series is top notch. All the pics I took at the Milwaukee Zoo were with a Tamron SP 28-75 2.8. Pics here.

Sigma and Tamrons are the top 2 aftermarket lens manufacturers. Tony, Canon and Nikon both make their own lenses. Promaster & Quantaray usually are either rebranded Tamrons or sigmas. Nikon makes its own glass also. I believe Tamron and Sigma get theirs from Hoya (so I heard).
A couple of the budget Nikon's are rebranded Tamron. There was a big bruhaha a few years ago about Nikon changing the specs and drawings of one of their posted lenses because someone noticed the drawing (3d view of all the elements) was exactly the same between a Tamron and Nikon on their web pages.

Most of the world uses Hoya glass, Nikon and Canon included. I'm not sure how much of Nikon glass is still made internally. I'm not sure if they even have a team that hand grinds glass anymore.

As for 3rd party lenses. If I had to choose, I'd take Tokina first. Though Tokina's gear is starting to look dated on paper because Tokina has no AF-S nor VR features. Tamron, has some Nikon features like AF-S due to the reason mentioned above. Sigma is left to reverse engineer many of the Nikon features, and often mucks it up. If you do a little research you'll hear about people having to have their Sigma lenses "Rechipped" to work with some new Nikon body, feature, or even firmware. This is again because Sigma is left to reverse engineer all the features so as not to have to pay Nikon a license fee.

I've owned Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar, and I'm sure other (MF lenses) Nikon mount lenses. Even though Tokina is behind in features, I'll always look to them first. Their regular line is as well built as Nikon's Pro lineup (minus AF-S and VR). In fact, Tokina is founded by Nikon lens crafters who went out to form their own company...something that doesn't happen often in Japan.

Sigma is known for making some really fantastic Pro lenses to fill gaps that Nikon has in their lineup. Like the 30mm f/1.4 that I have, or the Sigma 400-1000mm

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...49&navigator=3

Tamron basically has traditional focal lengths and makes some Pro-ish lenses. They seem to be concentrating their efforts on *sharpness* since that's what the average joe can pick out of a photograph...and they do hit their mark pretty hard on a couple lenses.

Build quality I'd take Nikon/Tokina, then Tamron, followed by Sigma. Sigma has some fine Pro-level builds. But because of their backwards engineering and spotty QC, I have to knock them down a notch.

Really though, all that rambling said...when you need a lens, you have to look at what focal length and features you need, then do some research as to who can give you what you need at a price range you can afford. My Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a good example of that. The closest thing out there is the Nikon 35 f/2, and that just wasn't fast enough for me. So Sigma it is. Another example; I needed a Macro lens for my electronics photography. It needed to be up to medical/surgical quality, and I didn't feel Nikon had that. So I had to track down a Tokina lens built in the 70's. To this day, Nikon has yet to make a lens as sharp and detailed as this lens from the 70's (which was designed on super computers of that era).

So figure out what you *need*, then hone in on the models that do what you need, then research what *real* photographers say about those lenses in *real world* use. Reading the specs and looking at charts only tells you maybe half the story.

Oh, and I like turtles.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Thanks everyone for you input. It makes a difference.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I have a couple of Sigma EX lenses. I get good results but I have to admit I like the Canon L glass better. I use the Sigma EX 70-200 HSM a lot.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode