Any D300's want to hang out? :) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Any D300's want to hang out? :)

Was curious to do some comparo tests of my own. I'd bring my D80 by and lenses and slap them on your D300 to get some sample shots and compare results. No D3's though that might be too tempting j/k I'd bring beer and lenses...the beer you can keep. If inspired, Mort82 might join me in the drooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Oh, you guys would probably beat me in the head with a bat, take my D300, and leave me dead in a ditch..

No way!

Seriously, if you want to try the D300 out, I would be glad to help, but just make sure you have $1800 ready to go because you will be picking one up on your drive home.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Leaping to the D300 from the D80 isn't exactly like going from my old FZ-30 to the D80. From the few minutes that I've tinkered with it, there's a lot more. I need to figure out if it's even worth considering. My guess is that the sensor and LCD with improved FPS will be on the upcoming D90 (let's assume the successor to the D80 is the D90 for this conversation). So perhaps it's better to wait for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER View Post
Seriously, if you want to try the D300 out, I would be glad to help, but just make sure you have $1800 ready to go because you will be picking one up on your drive home.
I'd love to attend, but until I can steal $1,800 worth of Mao's motorcycle parts and ebay them, I'll have to sideline it.

I know it is a great camera. I tinkered with Lonely's for 3 minutes the other night. (Guess the cat is out of the bag, huh?)

Awesome camera, major jump and lots of manual reading. I'm ready to leap, but my wallet can not!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Its really not that big of a jump. I came from a D50, so a D80 should be even easier of a transition.

Its all the same basics, but there are just more custom options you can do.

For the most part, you can keep a lot of the settings at their defaults, and use more post processing to touch up the photos. Thats what I'm doing right now. I need more seat time behind the lens to find out exactly what I would like to change with the cameras picture controls, some of its auto focus settings, and all that other jazz. The best part is that I can adjust all these settings and save it as a shooting bank for the specific shooting needs.

So if I'm at the track shooting, I can adjust all the settings to work for that task, and set it as shooting bank A. Then if I am doing portrait shooting, I can adjust the settings to work best with that, and save that as shooting bank B. And so on and so forth... I believe there are 4 different shooting banks I can save.

Basically, once you have it all set up, it should be really easy to just go out and shoot. Less thinking about your settings and more thinking about your composition.

Nesba #611 Advanced
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yea I dunno...I tinkered with it for a few minutes. Hell the Live Feed confused the hell out of me. Even Lonely Raven secretly fessed up to me that it confused him From another thread I know to avoid Wink...I'd leave his house wanting a D3 and a Mac!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Yeah, the D3 is one hell of a camera, but it just doesn't work for my shooting. I want the crop factor to give my lenses that extra 50% length. So it was a very easy choice for me between the D300 and D3.

Nesba #611 Advanced
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Yea I dunno...I tinkered with it for a few minutes. Hell the Live Feed confused the hell out of me. Even Lonely Raven secretly fessed up to me that it confused him From another thread I know to avoid Wink...I'd leave his house wanting a D3 and a Mac!
No secret on the Live View. I've just not had time to read the manual. I'm just using the D300 exactly as I used the D200. The core features and settings are all there as you'd expect them to be...and that's all I need for now.

But before the weather gets nicer, I promised myself I'd crack open the manual and learn live view, practice some moving target shots, and setup shooting banks (the camera has an option to setup preset banks of your favorite settings A-B-C...which I'd setup for Low Light, Motion Tracking, and Flash/Aquarium Photogrpahy)

No matter which Nikon you have, I'd suggest looking into Thom Hogans Ebooks.

www.bythom.com

He's a Nikon Pro that will give you some real world skooling and suggestions on your Nikon cameras.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode