Need to decide on post processing software....Help!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Need to decide on post processing software....Help!!

As you all know I switched to Mac a while back.

Well since this switch I have been experimenting with different post processing software which is starting to get confusing.

I am currently using:
Adobe lightroom
Photoshop cs3
aperture 1.5 (considering the jump to 2.0)
iPhoto

I like all of them, but I only have a few months of experience with all of them. Is there one that stands out above the rest that I should settle on, or should I keep playing with them all. It's really starting to get to be a pain trying them all.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Not sure if you are familiar with them (I am not) but I get a pretty good deal on this.. I am not even sure if it works on Mac's or not.. Just thought it might be something your interested in.. Also, do you dual boot your mac or no?

The Spiel: World-renowned color correction software. Used by SmugMug and many other professional labs.

The Deal: Purchase Home Edition for $50 (regular price $65), Standard Edition for $90 (regularly $325), and Professional Edition for $150 (regularly $600).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

Tony,
it all comes down to how many photos you are post-processing and why.

What kind of post processing work? Color corrections? Effects?

Photoshop will probably do 99.99% of all that you need to do. However, there are better batch processing software around. (Not that you can't run actions or scripts with Photoshop).

If you are after top notch post processing software look into Phase One; For high end professionals, but very costly.

If you already have the latest Photoshop (I think CS3) then I would stick with that, especially if you are doing small post processing color corrections and effects.

Short answer - Photoshop.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
Not sure if you are familiar with them (I am not) but I get a pretty good deal on this.. I am not even sure if it works on Mac's or not.. Just thought it might be something your interested in.. Also, do you dual boot your mac or no?

The Spiel: World-renowned color correction software. Used by SmugMug and many other professional labs.

The Deal: Purchase Home Edition for $50 (regular price $65), Standard Edition for $90 (regularly $325), and Professional Edition for $150 (regularly $600).
If this is world-renowned color correction software, then it should work on a Mac.

Also Tony, are you going to be printing your photos are just keep them on your computer?

Glenn
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

I recently switched over to the mac family as well and I am in the same boat as Tony trying to decide which post proccesing suite I sould go with. I am currently using the trial for aperture 2 and was wondweing if anyone here knows if i can get a trial copy of photoshop for the mac anywhere?

NESBA #341 Beginner
- Mike
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Go ahead, shoot!

Personally Lightroom does me just fine. Unless I want to do something in the sense of "graphics" Lightroom develops the picture.

It reminds me of being the darkroom when I started with film. Simple and straight to the point. Plus the learning curve is small compared to most other Adobe software and other products.

The reason is you took a picture and want it to look proper.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Grover View Post
Tony,
it all comes down to how many photos you are post-processing and why.

What kind of post processing work? Color corrections? Effects?

Photoshop will probably do 99.99% of all that you need to do. However, there are better batch processing software around. (Not that you can't run actions or scripts with Photoshop).

If you are after top notch post processing software look into Phase One; For high end professionals, but very costly.

If you already have the latest Photoshop (I think CS3) then I would stick with that, especially if you are doing small post processing color corrections and effects.

Short answer - Photoshop.

Glenn
big +1

-Zach
http://www.myspace.com/zachreborn

PSN: reborn29
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Photoshop all the way.

I have Capture NX, Lightroom, Photoshop, and I think one more, but I always come back to Photoshop for editing my final images.

Capture NX (a Nikon product) is okay, but sloooooooooowwwwwwww. Lightroom, is okay, but kind of basic, and is better suited for mass image editing. Photoshop has just about every little thing you could ever need for editing photos and images.

Also, for my RAW image editing, I prefer Bibble. Unfortunately, my new D300 requires an update for Bibble if I want it to open the RAW files taken by this camera.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

Since the concensus here for flexibility and average post processing work seems to be for photoshop, I think I will give that a try. Before I go and buy a copy does anyone who follows that program know if there is an update releasing soon? I just don't feel like buying something this week only to have to update in in two months.

NESBA #341 Beginner
- Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Why Does My Finger Stink?

Sportbike: Bikes I had Prior to being run over! 05' Adventure 950 - 05' 525 EXC - '01 MILLE - '95 SPRINGER
Years Riding: 1981
How you found us: Shrek told me!

Tony you have to best tools for doing what you (and pros) need! Just go learn how to use them! You are sitting on a perfect suite to do it all! There are a couple of pro seminars coming to town, they teach you all the tricks but it is not cheap.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Thats the problem I think I have too many tools. I'm being all A.D.D and playing with them all.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Why Does My Finger Stink?

Sportbike: Bikes I had Prior to being run over! 05' Adventure 950 - 05' 525 EXC - '01 MILLE - '95 SPRINGER
Years Riding: 1981
How you found us: Shrek told me!

Yeah you are... Start with CS3 and learn how to use it, Beeotich! Don't buy anymore $%#king software, you are set for a LONG time.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

I like you, you make me laugh....... buy software.... thats rich

I know how to use cs3 (for the most part and more than most people) but its a very tedious workflow. I like lightroom, and aperature for that reason.

- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode