Building a Light Tent/Box? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Building a Light Tent/Box?

I have a bunch of products I need to take pictures of to eventually make their way onto my wife's website for the business she is starting. I was looking into buying this from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/VRPSIABAG.htm...rama&item_no=2

But I think paying $60 plus shipping is a little ridiculous for what it is. I did some searching on the web and found this site that has pretty good instructions on how to make on yourself for a lot cheaper:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Has anyone ever made or used one of these light tents before and have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

It always comes down to time/money/usability/durability. Each person has their own opinion of what those are worth to themselves.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

reminds me of this
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...ePage102215550

Tabletop Photo Studio
Hammacher Schlemmer 73033
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Check with Lemarche, a sponsor on here. He has a professional light table and would cut you a good rate to do the shots professionally for you.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I know Lemarche does great work, but it's not really cost effective at this point in my wife's business to go out and get professional photographs taken.

I have the means to take the pictures (D80, 50 mm 1.8 lens). I get fairly good pictures with that set up, but I like the look that a light box gives.

I guess I really want to know what makes a "professional" light table. The products I'm taking pictures of are only 6" ^3 about, so I was just going to build a pvc frame. I wanted to know if anyone had opinions on fabric for the outside, as I've seen some sites say use a bed sheet and others recommending using some really expensive material. I actually liked the way the bed sheet photos came out better though

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

I've built the PVC light box you posted a Link to. In fact, I've built a few of them and sold them to others (who were too lazy to build their own).

For lighting I used your basic clip-on work light with the "daylight" compact flourescent bulbs (both from Manards).

I didn't do much with the setup so I don't have anything to show for it...I got distracted by aquarium photography and completely forgot about the light box and wound up selling it.

I have to say, the biggest improvement was finding the right lightbulbs for the setup. Those "daylight" compact flourescent bulbs were the key to getting everything a nice neutral white.

Go try it, it's totally worth the effort!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Actually, now that I think about it...after I sold the light boxes, I converted the clip on work lights to aquarium lighting. You can see the three work lights I used mounted to this board (painted black) and hung over my 55 gallon acrylic tank. You can see how pure white the "daylight" bulbs are!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I really need to make some homemade light ear for portraits. I want to take better shots of my daughter as she grows up. anyone got any ideas for that?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I've built the PVC light box you posted a Link to. In fact, I've built a few of them and sold them to others (who were too lazy to build their own).

For lighting I used your basic clip-on work light with the "daylight" compact flourescent bulbs (both from Manards).

I didn't do much with the setup so I don't have anything to show for it...I got distracted by aquarium photography and completely forgot about the light box and wound up selling it.

I have to say, the biggest improvement was finding the right lightbulbs for the setup. Those "daylight" compact flourescent bulbs were the key to getting everything a nice neutral white.

Go try it, it's totally worth the effort!
Awesome. That's what I was looking for. Did you just use the bedsheet they suggest or try something else?

Thanks!

Quote:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Awesome. That's what I was looking for. Did you just use the bedsheet they suggest or try something else?

Thanks!
I found the lights made a bigger difference then the sheeting. I used several different materials ranging from white linen to white plastic (umbrella like material). As long as it was WHITE, it really didn't matter much. The thicker the material, the more wattage of light bulb needed. The key is really to diffuse the light as much as possible, and keep from having hot spots on whatever you are photographing.

I'm almost positive the vacuum tube shot I posted in the Photo Contest #2 was taken with the first light box I built. It was a small box I used for tubes and jewelry. I later built a really tall one for taking photos of flowers in vases (winter photography practice), but never got around to using it.

I thought I had a diamond photo from Brianne's engagement ring...but I apparently haven't posted it online. I'm pretty sure I used the light box for that photo as well.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
I really need to make some homemade light ear for portraits. I want to take better shots of my daughter as she grows up. anyone got any ideas for that?
Tony, just get yourself some good flash units and set them up wirelessly. Learning flash is just as challenging as learning to use the camera. But it's worth it in the long run.

Here is a blog with awesome information on how to use a flash. This is a MUST read for EVERY photographer. Real word stuff, and not on a multi-thousand dollar budget, but real working mans stuff.

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Clever Girl

Quote:
I found the lights made a bigger difference then the sheeting. I used several different materials ranging from white linen to white plastic (umbrella like material). As long as it was WHITE, it really didn't matter much. The thicker the material, the more wattage of light bulb needed. The key is really to diffuse the light as much as possible, and keep from having hot spots on whatever you are photographing.

I'm almost positive the vacuum tube shot I posted in the Photo Contest #2 was taken with the first light box I built. It was a small box I used for tubes and jewelry. I later built a really tall one for taking photos of flowers in vases (winter photography practice), but never got around to using it.

I thought I had a diamond photo from Brianne's engagement ring...but I apparently haven't posted it online. I'm pretty sure I used the light box for that photo as well.
Sweet. I think I actually have some of those clip lights laying around in a box somewhere from when I had a lot more reptiles. Now I just got to find them.

Quote:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I hate flash photography. No flash FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
I hate flash photography. No flash FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typically I agree with you (as you've seen from my gallery and shooting style), but there are times when it's the best/only way to get things done.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
Typically I agree with you (as you've seen from my gallery and shooting style), but there are times when it's the best/only way to get things done.
If I could use one to get a good picture, I would. 99% of flash photography taken by n00bs like myself turn out like a P&S flash shot.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:48 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
If I could use one to get a good picture, I would. 99% of flash photography taken by n00bs like myself turn out like a P&S flash shot.
You mean like this shot that I was too embarrassed to post in the Wine Tasting thread?

No amount of boobage is going to save that photograph...I ruined it good!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Serious inquiries only

Quote:
You mean like this shot that I was too embarrassed to post in the Wine Tasting thread?

No amount of boobage is going to save that photograph...I ruined it good!
Yeah! Just like that too! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode