Official Photo Contest #7 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Ride or Die! Die to Ride!

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Riding since '92 baby!!!
How you found us: A friend told me about you.

Send a message via AIM to saQ "C" 1 Send a message via Yahoo to saQ "C" 1
Official Photo Contest #7

R U L E S:- The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You post ONE image (only first image by one person will be judged) that is relevant to the challenger theme. You can change your image as many times as you like before the deadline.
- The host chooses a winner *AND* runner-up after closing. The decision of the judge (the Host!) is final. The judge is *not* eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, tells everyone when the photo's must be posted by (give some reasonable amount of time like a week), runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. Winner/Host, please post a reasonable topic that someone who's not a pro photographer can be a part of. Remember it's not just cool shots, but the story that can be told for some.
- If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 48 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.
- Any picture you've taken is eligible regardless of time taken and camera it was taken with. You can do all the post processing you want. However, it is most helpful if you list your camera, lens and exposure info along with your photo.
- All levels welcome. If you don't have the best lens or just a plain old pocket camera but your shot tells a wonderful story then there's no reason you can't win! This is about overall photo's and their story, not just about expensive equipment.
- Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you a piece of constructive criticism, ask for it...after all we are here to learn too and practice.
- Provide any additional information concerning your entry you want. Explaining how the shot might relate to the topic could help too.
- Winner/Host, please copy and paste these rules into the topic and thread that you post because some might start doing contests later and miss the first one.

-New Rule, no camera phone pictures. This is an artistic contest and nothing about a camera phone shows good composition or technique.

Official Photo Contest #7 Topic

This week's topic is going to be "Night Shots - always a surprising colour; the camera can see what we cannot!"

I agree with what Lonely Raven said in his last post about this giving us a chance to sharpen our skills and learn from one another. I'm still having difficulty with taking night shots, so I'm taking this as an opportunity to learn from you guys and see what kind of "night shots" you have. I can't wait to see what you guys will be posting up. Please also post the conditions and settings you used to take the shot. The weather is getting nice out, so it should be easier for us to get out there and take some cool night shots. So get out your tripods and slow down those shutter speeds and take some pics!!! Happy shooting!!!

Due Date: 4/9/2008

~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris
'11 VROD MUSCLE
'09 Speed Triple - R.I.P.
'02 R1 - R.I.P.
'05 Star - R.I.P.

XBox Live Gamertag: saQ C 1

chris saquido photography

Last edited by saQ "C" 1; 04-03-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

I'll go first..
Love this shot

2.5 Second exposure... No lights or flash.. All of that light in the pic is due to the muzzle flash and the long exposure - middle of Kentucky.. Full auto M16

Date Modified 2007-04-14 1902
Date Taken 2007-04-14 1902
Camera Canon EOS 30D
Exposure Time 2.5s (25/10)
Aperture f/3.5
ISO 400
Focal Length 28mm (44.8mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3504 x 2336
File Name IMG_0994.JPG
File Size 2.52 MB

Detailed
Flash flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program unknown
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode auto
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

Was tempted to use this one..

SV650 - Heading from upper to lower wacker towards LSD
If the picture was taken in Florida, I guess they could impound my motorcycle permanently for that little move... You guys know vtwin grunt... Sometimes it get's a bit "lofty"

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 04-02-2008 at 11:38 PM.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Formerly RwS Films

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Snow Fiddy
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Other

Send a message via AIM to PaulieRedCoat
Taken pre-DSLR days.

HP R717
f/2.8
1/5 sec
ISO400

Only Photoshop was resizing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 0281.jpg (52.5 KB, 49 views)

Namaste

To the times I'll never remember, with the friends I'll never forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Former Chicagoian

Sportbike: 950 Super Enduro / FZ6 / 640 ADV
Years Riding: Never enough!
How you found us: SBN

42CASTLEBERRY2007

Summer Night in the Country

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Sportbike: 91 hawkgt & 05 rc51
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: fellow rider mvrc51

another great subject
hard to choose just one

this was done with the canon g6
i do remember the exposure was like 12 seconds but not much else
sitting on a small webcam tripod
0 photoshop done to it

link to full size imagehttp://photo.ringo.com/182/182500283RL919029501.jpg
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Alright, I should be able to post a picture before the deadline.... I only need two more posts.

Last edited by Illuminati44; 04-03-2008 at 07:47 AM.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Here is one I enjoy, I don't know if this is what I will use.

The moon was about 3/4 full at my back. Not 100% on the specifics, but was a few seconds at f/5.6 ISO around 200 with the 12-24 lens on my D80
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Is it just me or are the same pics from other threads poppin up again? Picture recycling? All I have is the camera on my phone so I'm not allowed to participate.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM

I've got a Canon Rebel Xti, and a completely different landscape than all of you... I wanna play!
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Is it just me or are the same pics from other threads poppin up again? Picture recycling? All I have is the camera on my phone so I'm not allowed to participate.
I popped this one in the end of my industrial topic to remind people about trees being impordant to our environment. Seeing all of the concrete smoke stacks made me ill, and someone else too...

"Breath of fresh air"
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Edinburgh Castle

f/4.5
4 Sec Shutter

Ian
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Awesome subject! And one subject that I've been meaning to explore more. I did a bunch of night photography when I first got my D70s two years ago, but it was all so terrible. I had all the gear in the world, but no skill. Now is a great time for me to try out some ideas!

Phil, I know there is a no camera phone rule, and the stated reason is "This is an artistic contest and nothing about a camera phone shows good composition or technique" which I completely disagree with.

I've seen this one artist who worked for years with a cheesy 2MP Sony P&S camera that took photos that would put even Trident to shame. People were in awe of his ability to capture feeling and project emotion with such a junk old camera. Because it *is* all about "framing and technique", not about the hardware. The quality of the hardware just gives you more artistic options. Much like an artistic painter with one brush for painting an exterior of a house, vs an artistic painter with a whole slew of art brushes and tools. It's still the artist that makes the art, not the hardware.

I humbly request that the "no camera phone" rule be re-thought, or at least reworded as currently I feel the "camera phone shows no composition or technique" line is bullshit. Again, because composition and technique (the art!) is in the hands and the heart, not the hardware.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 04-03-2008 at 08:48 AM.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Sunrise from my living room. SD450 in full idiot mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunrise.jpg (53.1 KB, 74 views)

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I started that rule because ME personally was sick of seeing foggy out of focus pictures of random junk being entered in the contest. I have nothing against a older or lower MP camera picture. Not to mention a camera phone has no ability to change anything unlike a basic point and shoot which still lets you modify and add your touch to a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Awesome subject! And one subject that I've been meaning to explore more. I did a bunch of night photography when I first got my D70s two years ago, but it was all so terrible. I had all the gear in the world, but no skill. Now is a great time for me to try out some ideas!

Phil, I know there is a no camera phone rule, and the stated reason is "This is an artistic contest and nothing about a camera phone shows good composition or technique" which I completely disagree with.

I've seen this one artist who worked for years with a cheesy 2MP Sony P&S camera that took photos that would put even Trident to shame. People were in awe of his ability to capture feeling and project emotion with such a junk old camera. Because it *is* all about "framing and technique", not about the hardware. The quality of the hardware just gives you more artistic options. Much like an artistic painter with one brush for painting an exterior of a house, vs an artistic painter with a whole slew of art brushes and tools. It's still the artist that makes the art, not the hardware.

I humbly request that the "no camera phone" rule be re-thought, or at least reworded as currently I feel the "camera phone shows no composition or technique" line is bullshit. Again, because composition and technique (the art!) is in the hands and the heart, not the hardware.

Ian
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I simply think there would be more participants and the chance to see something totally random/candid that you normally don't see since nobody carries around thier DSLR everywhere. I thought the whole point of these photo contests was the share photos good or bad and have fun. This is a motorcycle board, not some DSLR snob fest photog board.
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Buckingham fountain
Shot with Sony Cybershot
Night setting
Flash on
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
I started that rule because ME personally was sick of seeing foggy out of focus pictures of random junk being entered in the contest. I have nothing against a older or lower MP camera picture. Not to mention a camera phone has no ability to change anything unlike a basic point and shoot which still lets you modify and add your touch to a picture.
Quote:
I simply think there would be more participants and the chance to see something totally random/candid that you normally don't see since nobody carries around thier DSLR everywhere. I thought the whole point of these photo contests was the share photos good or bad and have fun. This is a motorcycle board, not some DSLR snob fest photog board.
Unfortunately, I agree completely with both your points.

I don't need foggy shots of someone on the toilet, but at the same time, I'm sure someone here will surprise me with a great shot that otherwise couldn't have happened.

Phil, tell ya what. I have a spare P&S camera...but I have no memory for it. I'd be happy to loan it out to you for this shoot if you have some ideas you want to tackle. I just don't have the Sony memory stick Pro crap-proprietary-BS memory handy. I've been meaning to order a stick off eBay (seems to be the cheapest place), but I doubt I'll get it here in time.

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I agree completely with both your points.

I don't need foggy shots of someone on the toilet, but at the same time, I'm sure someone here will surprise me with a great shot that otherwise couldn't have happened.

Phil, tell ya what. I have a spare P&S camera...but I have no memory for it. I'd be happy to loan it out to you for this shoot if you have some ideas you want to tackle. I just don't have the Sony memory stick Pro crap-proprietary-BS memory handy. I've been meaning to order a stick off eBay (seems to be the cheapest place), but I doubt I'll get it here in time.
Thanks for the generous offer Eric! I have a p&s at home but I almost never have it on me when I see something I want to take a pic of. I always forget it at home as well. I know some shots may not be worth posting but I say we need to take the good with the bad. Plus, how many artists in the history of the world were scorned and ridiculed until after they died or way after? There is only one judge in these contests and the decision is final so why not let everyone participate for the sake of fun whether the picture is deemed worthy or not?
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Thanks for the generous offer Eric! I have a p&s at home but I almost never have it on me when I see something I want to take a pic of. I always forget it at home as well. I know some shots may not be worth posting but I say we need to take the good with the bad. Plus, how many artists in the history of the world were scorned and ridiculed until after they died or way after? There is only one judge in these contests and the decision is final so why not let everyone participate for the sake of fun whether the picture is deemed worthy or not?
Well then you just need to bring that fugger everywhere with you!

post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM

space aliens invading our camp site

post #21 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
It's funny as I was thinking the same thing when re-reading the rules. Flickr has some great camera-phone pics. Not great quality 'images' but great composition can be captured with a shoebox and a pinhole.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #22 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
It's funny as I was thinking the same thing when re-reading the rules. Flickr has some great camera-phone pics. Not great quality 'images' but great composition can be captured with a shoebox and a pinhole.
Word!

post #23 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
Got a question. Does it have to be outdoors? I mean the shot I took that I like is in doors, it was night and it's a dark pic. Just wondering.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #24 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Here's my night shot. This one is when I was playing around w/ the camera well before I got deployed.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash fired
post #25 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Seriously?

This picture is from Napa, this is where we stayed. On a vineyard. It was the most beautiful thing ever. So this is a night shot of that. I don't remember the exposure or anything like that. Had to balance the camera on top of the car.

Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING

Last edited by Hunny; 04-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
post #26 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

I agree with Raven.
While I understand the reason for the rule, let's remember it's possible to take crap with a very expensive camera as well (although admittedly sometimes the good camera will make lemonade out of lemons more often than a camera phone will)

I went looking for the Rockwell article where he compared the camera phone to his 5d... Found something else.. I won't post the whole thing here as it's very long, but it's a good read.. Click the link if you are interested

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

oh and here are some camera photos...
I think this guy would do fine in our contests.. and they are taken with a camera phone
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archang.../sets/1322389/
Appears a good subject, timing and composition is more important than what your picking it up with.
post #27 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Seriously?

This is the one in doors but at night, but the pic is dark and I really like it.

<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING

Last edited by Hunny; 04-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
post #28 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
I agree with Raven.
While I understand the reason for the rule, let's remember it's possible to take crap with a very expensive camera as well (although admittedly sometimes the good camera will make lemonade out of lemons more often than a camera phone will)

I went looking for the Rockwell article where he compared the camera phone to his 5d... Found something else.. I won't post the whole thing here as it's very long, but it's a good read.. Click the link if you are interested

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

oh and here are some camera photos...
I think this guy would do fine in our contests.. and they are taken with a camera phone
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archang.../sets/1322389/
Appears a good subject, timing and composition is more important than what your picking it up with.
Rules are rules. If you want them changed then wait till you win and then you can change them. I agree camera shots should be allowed but I did not make the rules
post #29 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
G2G

Edit

Last edited by G2G; 04-03-2008 at 02:43 PM.
post #30 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
This is the one in doors but at night, but the pic is dark and I really like it.
Oh snap! Now that is a killer photo! Hunny =

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode