canon lens - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
venit, vidic, vicit

Sportbike: 07 r6
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: walter t

canon lens

i picked up a canon 40D DSLR a few weeks ago. this is my first ever DSLR. i am very impressed by it. i wanted to get a nice lens for it. do you guys know of any good for everything lens that's not that expensive. what do you guys use more, a macro lens or a telephoto lens?

Who's your homie? FUKUDOME!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
what do you mean by not expensive? whats your price limit?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpro1 View Post
i picked up a canon 40D DSLR a few weeks ago. this is my first ever DSLR. i am very impressed by it. i wanted to get a nice lens for it. do you guys know of any good for everything lens that's not that expensive. what do you guys use more, a macro lens or a telephoto lens?
There is no real "good lens for *everything*. If there was, we wouldn't have 150 different lenses from each brand.

That said, an acceptable lens that covers a lot of ground would be of the 18-200mm variety.

I'm not sure how Canons 18-200mm fairs, so you may have to look into third party like Tamron.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

What kind of photography are you most interested in? Without that info and a price limit it's hard to say.

Most of the Canon L-series glass are great lenses but there are a few with problems depending on what you're trying to do and none of the L-series is exactly cheap.

I've also got a couple of Sigma EX HSM lenses that are pretty impressive.

For example for landscape and city shooting the Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM is a very nice lens, but it's NOT cheap!

The Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM is also very nice for around the same price, also NOT cheap! I use this one a lot for candid portrait shots.

These are high-end lenses that give GREAT results and (I think) well worth the money for serious photography.

Dave
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Lowpro if you arent starting to figure it out yet, I'll tell ya... the camera you just bought..........

......Ya that was the cheap part of this hobby.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Lowpro if you arent starting to figure it out yet, I'll tell ya... the camera you just bought..........

Ain't it the truth!

The only thing more expensive is buying a similar lens twice because you discover the limitations of cheaper glass. You can get good results within the limits of cheaper glass. If you push the limits, you begin to see why not to skimp.

You're best bet on a budget is to do a lot of reading and decide if the weaknesses of the lenses are going to limit what you want to be doing. Cheaper glass generally has the most limits in the extremes of focus or lighting. Sometime they focus too slow if you're doing action. Some work well on certain cameras, especially in the area of auto-focus in low light.

Dave
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Cheap and large range are possible, but everyones definition of "nice" is different. If I were on a limited budget and needed something that I could use for almost any situation, I would probably get the Tamron 18-250 F/3.5-6.3.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...report--review

The reviews aren't that bad for it, and at ~$450 its not a bad price. Its not the brightest of lenses, but your 40D can do some pretty clean ISO 3200 shots, so I wouldn't worry about turning up the ISO.

If you are new at this and don't know exactly what you like to shoot, or at what focal lengths you like to shoot at, then getting an all-rounder probably isn't that bad of an idea.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Which lens came with the camera?

- Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Heh, the less the zoom the better the glass. Your prime lenses that don't zoom at all are some of your best quality glass because the glass is designed and cut optimally for just one setting.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Heh, the less the zoom the better the glass. Your prime lenses that don't zoom at all are some of your best quality glass because the glass is designed and cut optimally for just one setting.
yup 10-4, my 50 prime is responsible for some of my most favorite images and it was my cheapest lens.

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
venit, vidic, vicit

Quote:
what do you mean by not expensive? whats your price limit?
it all depends. i really didn't want to spend more then 700 for a nice all around lens.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
venit, vidic, vicit

Quote:

LOL. yeah i noticed.....

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
venit, vidic, vicit

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER View Post
Cheap and large range are possible, but everyones definition of "nice" is different. If I were on a limited budget and needed something that I could use for almost any situation, I would probably get the Tamron 18-250 F/3.5-6.3.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...report--review

The reviews aren't that bad for it, and at ~$450 its not a bad price. Its not the brightest of lenses, but your 40D can do some pretty clean ISO 3200 shots, so I wouldn't worry about turning up the ISO.

If you are new at this and don't know exactly what you like to shoot, or at what focal lengths you like to shoot at, then getting an all-rounder probably isn't that bad of an idea.
that's what i was looking for. an all-rounder

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
venit, vidic, vicit

it came with a 28-135 IS USM kit.

I'm really into taking action shots from a distance and scenery shots. so i'm leaning more towards a telephoto lens.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 AM

$700 is an interesting price point to be at...it's not really here or there. Using Nikon as an example they have a 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 (I think those are the f stops) and that lens goes for around $700. It's a nice all around lens, but it's not as nice as the $1100 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. And for $700 it's the same quality glass as you get with Nikons older 18-70mm which can be had for around $200.

Now for about $1000 shipped you can get a very nice lens...the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 Good or bad photographer, the images are simply better, end of story.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Inc-_-30998028

The lens you buy is going to be around most likely longer than the camera body. If you stick with it and get better, you'll learn quickly the 400's limitations and want to bump up to a 5D or whatever the next body is. Buy good glass first, then a better body later.

You are more limited on zoom with the 17-55 obviously...learn to use your feet instead. Or if you really need the reach, a mid level zoom lens can be had since the more pro quality L glass costs a small fortune.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSXR750 (street/track), 2003 ZX6R 636 (track)
Years Riding: I think Im on my 3rd now
How you found us: From other web forums (SBN, NESBA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpro1 View Post
it came with a 28-135 IS USM kit.

I'm really into taking action shots from a distance and scenery shots. so i'm leaning more towards a telephoto lens.
Oh, well if thats the case, then perhaps the 70-300 IS USM would be a good choice. I wouldn't suggest the 70-200L as that lens' range is mostly covered in your current lens. The 70-300 IS USM is a nice lens, and has very nice optics for its price point.

I wouldn't get the Tamron knowing that you already have a 28-135 IS. If your budget is around $700, then the 70-300 IS USM and a 50/1.8 should fit easily within that budget.

Tom DeCoste aka "Tommy Tarmac"
Nesba #611 Advanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode