"Protective" filters in front of your lens? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

"Protective" filters in front of your lens?

So, I've got some 0% financing and I'm doing some research for my next lens purchase....I figure I was going to get it for my birthday in November anyways...I might as well finance it now and enjoy it all summer, right?

Anywho, I stumble into this great post while researching my two lens choices. For those that don't know, Thom Hogan writes comprehensive Nikon books, teaches, and is a great all around photographer that specializes in outdoor shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MasterOfGoingFaster wrote:
> Does anyone have any _ scientific _ data on this?

No, but I can add some anecdotal evidence. I have never used protective filters in now 40 years of shooting. In that time, I've damaged one lens' front element (and my treasured 70-180mm, at that) by managing to scrape something against the front element and damage the coating. I could not detect any difference in performance of the lens after the small scratch, but I had the front element replaced, anyway.

In teaching workshops for the last decade, I've had hundreds of students crawling over the landscape with me. I'm not aware of any of them having damaged the front element of their lens, either.

I think a lot of the discussion really boils down to "prudent care" versus "I don't want to pay any attention." The most serious shooters pay prudent care to what they're doing and what they're exposing their equipment to. The might take a chance, but it's a calculated chance. They use lens hoods. They sometimes are using other filters for effect (grad, polarizer, etc.). They're not perfect. They make mistakes (drop equipment, etc.) but understand that this happens and that you pay to have it fixed in order to get back to 100% capability.

The truly casual shooter has a different attitude. I got an email the other day from someone who bought an expensive lens and wanted to know what protective filter to buy. He even included "and don't tell me to use a lens hood, because I never bother to, it's too much trouble." Well, I have to question why he bought an expensive lens, then. It seems really silly to buy a top grade lens and then start doing things that will compromise what it can produce. I did a quick test on my charts: he would get better MTF results with the 18-55mm VR with hood and without filters than he would with the expensive lens he purchased without hood and with the $20 filter I pulled out of my closet (I don't even know why I have it, but it was there so I tried it). So what we know about this case is that the person is more worried about protecting their "investment" in gear than producing the kinds of images it is capable of.

The curious thing is that the same casual shooter will think nothing about using something like a G10 or P6000 without a protective filter. This tells us something about the genesis of the "protective filter requirement." If a camera doesn't easily take filters, stores don't make the pitch that "you need a protective filter with that." If it does, they do, and mostly because it allows them to up their margin on the sale. Once the notion is in someone's head, they don't challenge it and it lives on for all their other lens purchases.

My philosophy is this: if you bought a DSLR and lens because you wanted high quality images, then you don't do things to compromise that quality. That includes adding two air/glass surfaces that will remove 5% of your contrast. If you're more worried about the cost of replacing or repairing your equipment than your photos, then do what you want and add ten filters to your lens (after all, if one filter protects against modest impacts, two would protect against a harder impact, and three against an even harder impact... ;~).

--
Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Depends on what I'm shooting. Motorsports, yes. Been pelted by rubber bits before and even with a lens hood, they still hit the lens. Rain, yep. Indoors general, no.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

my old SLR camera 35mm had a protective lens. Never really noticed a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
TMC

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders

I use UV filters mostly as protection. I've cracked one, and seen one other person crack one while I was with him and in both cases the lens was fine. So, I'll sacrafice the filter rather than the lens.

Plus, I've never been worried about any degredation from the filters and never really been disappointed with their use.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Why Does My Finger Stink?

Sportbike: Bikes I had Prior to being run over! 05' Adventure 950 - 05' 525 EXC - '01 MILLE - '95 SPRINGER
Years Riding: 1981
How you found us: Shrek told me!

What was the question(s)? Or where you just posting this to post?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode