Wish me luck with this... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Wish me luck with this...

OK, I've been talking about doing this ever since I first got the SV. As stupid/cool/crazy/awesome as this could be, wish me luck with this!

(Edit: Really sorry for the blown photos...I was giggling like a school girl and didn't take good shots with the D200)

It consists of a Bogen Super Clamp which can easily hold the camera and any lens (I can afford) on it, plus a quality 3 direction camera mount, and My Nikon D300 with Tamron 12-24 Ultra-Wide.

The camera is activated by a remote switch that's currently zip-tied the handlebars. I want to get it on the right thumb spot so I don't have to let go of the throttle to slap the button (as I will have to now). There is even an open spot on the SV for me to wire something in!

For now I have the Super-Clamp gripping the radiator guard without touching the radiator. I can clamp it on hard enough that I could pick up the front end of the bike with it, so I feel good about the camera being on it. Though I will make a nylon tether of some sort in case the clamp does some how let go, so the camera won't actually hit the ground. I'm also going to Loctite the snot out of all the fixed joints on the clamp/mount/camera combo.

The super clamp has enough range that I could clamp the camera to the handle bars, frame, forks...pretty much anything from 1/2" to a couple inches.

And yes, the front element of the lens is protected by a high end UV filter. In fact, I'm considering doubling up the filters if it doesn't muck with my photo quality too much.

So, feel free to laugh if you see me on the side of the road sweeping up camera pieces. Till then, wish me luck getting some great shots!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Um ya, thats a lot of cash to be hanging off the side of your bike. But then again, it's a nikon, they're not worth much anyway

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Um ya, thats a lot of cash to be hanging off the side of your bike. But then again, it's a nikon, they're not worth much anyway

What was that quote I read the other day that made me think of you...oh yeah!

"I wish there was an iPhone app to help you with your personality"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

beat ya to it

somewhere in the directory i have some of the shots i took while riding around the track with it like that

from 07 at RA
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Looks fawkin pimp but I keep seeing scenarios of massive june bugs commiting suicide front and dead center on your lens then oozing its glorious insides through the tiny cracks between filter, lens and body.

or....

large pothole causes chunks of road to break off and create rock missles to be launched from underneath truck tires at the fragile lens or body.

but I'm sure 20 meg images of debris flying at your camera in stunning detail will be all worth it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Hell of a frame slider. I like how you used blue zip ties. It really ties the bike together. Haha.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Looks fawkin pimp but I keep seeing scenarios of massive june bugs commiting suicide front and dead center on your lens then oozing its glorious insides through the tiny cracks between filter, lens and body.

or....

large pothole causes chunks of road to break off and create rock missles to be launched from underneath truck tires at the fragile lens or body.

but I'm sure 20 meg images of debris flying at your camera in stunning detail will be all worth it.
Fragile? You must be thinking of Canon's cameras. The Nikon is a magnesium frame and polycarb body. Lenses are typically polycarb, aluminum, and stainless with a very durable coating on the glass (for the 'tards that don't know how to clean them). I'm confident the Nikon with stand up the elements, I'm only worried about something hitting the front of the lens fast/hard enough to go through a protective UV filter and the front glass element. So you won't see me with $1000 lenses on there unless I'm being paid to take photos with a $1000 lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Hell of a frame slider. I like how you used blue zip ties. It really ties the bike together. Haha.
Fuck you and your Mickey Mouse tattoo! How did I know you'd be the one to point out the blue zip tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
beat ya to it

somewhere in the directory i have some of the shots i took while riding around the track with it like that

from 07 at RA
Yeah, I think I remember you posting that, and I had like a dozen questions for you about it. I just never felt it was the solution I wanted. Firebretha was going to help me build a bracket, but he's all talk unless I let him put LEDs on it. When I (re)read about this superclamp, I was all stoaked to try it out!

Let me see some of your photos? I'm not sure I'm taking my rig out tonight...I want to pick up some locktight and rig up a tether in case things don't work out the way I hope.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Why not just get a tank bag, put the camera in there all set up, and stop when you want to take a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Hm, that looks one good case where you really could use camera insurance

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Someone mentioned LEDs.

Whats going on in here?

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

shenannigans! looks good but I would be more tempted to mount it above the front tire since right now it looks like a frame slider
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Yeah, I think I remember you posting that, and I had like a dozen questions for you about it. I just never felt it was the solution I wanted. Firebretha was going to help me build a bracket, but he's all talk unless I let him put LEDs on it. When I (re)read about this superclamp, I was all stoaked to try it out!

Let me see some of your photos? I'm not sure I'm taking my rig out tonight...I want to pick up some locktight and rig up a tether in case things don't work out the way I hope.
LR... It wasn't so much of a rig for shooting as it was a way to transport the camera around from corner to corner.. RA is a big place and the 70-200 f2.8 is a pretty big lens (easily twice if not over twice the weight of my camera) figured it was safer to mount it on the mount than try to carry it or sling it in a pack

with a remote shutter by the throttle.. it'd be kind of neat

I think I am just going to mount some video cameras and snap stills.. but I can't imagine they will hold a candle to stills from your rig
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

I couldn't resist taking the SV out to get gas (And loctite). Man it sure does need locktight. I had to tighten two particular joints at every stop. And I couldn't figure out where "level" was. I also realize I need more light to take photos from a V-twin. Dusk shots don't work well on a vibrating bike. LOL

Oh, and if I lean to far, the camera thinks I'm trying to do a portrait. I was flipping through the photos and I'm like...fuck, I don't remember laying the bike on it's side. LOL I'll have to remember to shut that off next ride.

It's a good start. After some tweaks I'm sure this will work great.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Pretty cool idea. Get some shots with a great new perspective.

Just a thought; is the mount easily movable to another bike part? Like the frame, it might give a cool detail to frame the side of the picture with a fork and a wheel on the road. It'd be similar to the picture you took of Brianne in the woods when you held the camera by the ground and shot upwards.

EDIT: spent some time looking for the damn post but I finally found it - https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...7&postcount=30

Personally, I really like that picture, instead of just a low angle it has a sense of speed and movement

Last edited by Ninja 13; 05-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
How did I know you'd be the one to point out the blue zip tie.
It was an obscure piece on the bike. The scoot looks great. Don't tell people it is portrait, tell em you are railing.

Last edited by Dave13; 05-01-2009 at 09:25 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Former Chicagoian

Sportbike: 950 Super Enduro / FZ6 / 640 ADV
Years Riding: Never enough!
How you found us: SBN

More pics please!

A superior rider uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require superior skill.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Eric that would make for awesome group riding photos. Maybe even help others with turning by by them and others see what they were doing. That last pic is the start of supermoto road. I had a blast riding the speed tables on a sportbike. It would be a hoot on a SM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja 13 View Post
Pretty cool idea. Get some shots with a great new perspective.

Just a thought; is the mount easily movable to another bike part? Like the frame, it might give a cool detail to frame the side of the picture with a fork and a wheel on the road. It'd be similar to the picture you took of Brianne in the woods when you held the camera by the ground and shot upwards.

EDIT: spent some time looking for the damn post but I finally found it - https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...7&postcount=30

Personally, I really like that picture, instead of just a low angle it has a sense of speed and movement
Quote:
Eric that would make for awesome group riding photos. Maybe even help others with turning by by them and others see what they were doing. That last pic is the start of supermoto road. I had a blast riding the speed tables on a sportbike. It would be a hoot on a SM.
These are my plans exactly, and why I didn't just want to go with a tank mount. I'm very excited to see what I can come up with, the next nice day out!

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
But does Canon have better ads than this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

man that would suck if you were riding and watched your camera fall off and hit the ground

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Test #2.

Took a 13 mile ride over to Firebretha's for a dinner that look looked like it came from the Exorcist but tasted The Awesome! And took a run around the block with Rick to see what the photos looked like with another ride in the frame. I feel very secure that the camera isn't going to fall off, though I still have a nylon tether just in case. I think my only problem thus far was bugs hitting the protective filter in front of the lens, and dirt. I'm still working on dialing in the settings on the camera, and where to mount the camera in relation to the front wheel. I'd like to get more of the SV in the shot if I can.

Vibrations are still a problem with sharpness. I'm going to have to figure out a way around that before I get sharp photos all the time.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Personally, much prefer some bike in the shot. Really digging it. If the road in that first picture was curvy that's an A+ motorcycle ad.

Well, maybe not with the zip tie on the fork
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Crap, you rode with Rick today? I thought he only stored that bike.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja 13 View Post
Personally, much prefer some bike in the shot. Really digging it. If the road in that first picture was curvy that's an A+ motorcycle ad.

Well, maybe not with the zip tie on the fork
Thanks! I'm always open to suggestions. I'm still just a beginner, so anything that others see that I'm not, I'm totally open for.

Quote:
Crap, you rode with Rick today? I thought he only stored that bike.
Well, he did have to put it back together before we rode...and he was so excited to see the shots, that he forgot to lube his chain...which was the excuse we came up with for riding around the block for 5 minutes.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

danke for the quick five minute cruise! sucks I forgot to lube the chain. tomorrow I need to go out to mcmaster car and get a new sandblasting bit, I might have to pull it out of storage again. lol.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 PM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 AM

So how much does a clamp like that run? Looks like it would be a blast just to take some pics with even if your not a photo enthusiest like me.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser33 View Post
So how much does a clamp like that run? Looks like it would be a blast just to take some pics with even if your not a photo enthusiest like me.
It's a three piece setup consisting of the Bogen "Super Clamp", a 3 way camera mount, and a brass stud that combines the two (which needs LOTS of loctite! LOL). I think I paid $65 shipped.

I'm also looking to try HD cam mounting soon, and seeing if I can find a fisheye lens for some neat tricks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode