Looking at 2 lenses... 70-200mm f2.8IS / 100-400 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Looking at 2 lenses... 70-200mm f2.8IS / 100-400

thus far
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...0&modelid=7469
has been my favorite lens.. I always rent one when going to a race.
This is a rather long trip.. and I think it makes more sense to buy/resell (who am i kidding?) the lens.. rather than to pay a few hundred a week to rent it...

So..

Looking for opinions
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...0&modelid=7469

or the newer.. longer... slower

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...0&modelid=7344

I am leaning towards the 200.. it's such a good lens.. 2.8 might not be needed for racing.. and 200 isn't very long..
I can buy an extender (around 300 for a 1.4 or a 2.0) .. kills a stop or 2.. but.. I lose a stop or 2 on the 100-400 anyway...

I'd love some external opinions.. So I am bouncing it off here

btw.. Truth in 24 (the Audi racing documentary) the movie is free on itunes.. Just downloaded it...
(that's my freebie thanks for looking.. and what I will be doing for the next while underground on the train.. so I won't be able to reply for a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Of the 2, the 70-200 2.8. The 100-400 is a push pull and heard from a few canon guys that it likes to inhale dust when zooming.

How about the 70-200 F4? WOuld be cheaper.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
Of the 2, the 70-200 2.8. The 100-400 is a push pull and heard from a few canon guys that it likes to inhale dust when zooming.

How about the 70-200 F4? WOuld be cheaper.
thought about it.. but for handheld track stuff the IS is nice.. as is the 2.8 at full zoom

pricewise... if I want IS i am looking around a k for the f4 and 1.6k for f2.8

Resale is pretty good on them as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

side note.. Canon has a 200$ rebate on the 70-200 2.8 IS right now..
but it looks like the shops all just raised their price a bit and included it.. so.. it's pretty much the same
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

It is mine.
a little broker.. but I got it!

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...p8_is_usm_c16/

Expect to see it at some track days this year... Hopefully

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 07-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:10 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Awesome choice! The Nikon analog is a very, very good lens. I can't imagine not having it. The 2X isn't bad as long as it's quality glass and passes the lens information to the camera. I don't know how good the canon extenders are compared to the Nikon ones, so I can't suggest anything.

As for the push-pull dust thing. That happens with any/all push-pull lenses unfortunately.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Awesome choice! The Nikon analog is a very, very good lens. I can't imagine not having it. The 2X isn't bad as long as it's quality glass and passes the lens information to the camera. I don't know how good the canon extenders are compared to the Nikon ones, so I can't suggest anything.

As for the push-pull dust thing. That happens with any/all push-pull lenses unfortunately.
Thanks!
I know it's more than I need. But if I went one or two steps down I would always be thinking I should have just.... I'm sure you k ow why I mean. I've used this lens multiple times. Took it to the AMA races all but this year (this year I took the non-is version as they were out of is. Last year I used a 1.4x (1 stop) and. I am torn on it. It was crappy weather (as always) and I think the rain/hazy conditions messed up what would have otherwise been a lot of good shots. I am not sure if it was just the stop or the stop + whatever else. But the shots weren't as sharp an I had a lot of blurring issues

sorry if post is off. On iPhone in Russian tea room drinking a baltika 3 (never heard of. But tastes really familiar)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I have the 70-200 F4L. It is a great lens for the track. especially if using a monopod. but if you can afford to go 2.8 I would totally go for it. I couldn't afford that kind of price jump at the time. Personally if track use it what your getting it for, I wouldn't be too concerned about IS, most of the time I have it off since I am panning, and it's very bright out.

Heres a shot I took last season, with this lens.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 07-03-2009 at 06:05 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
I have the 70-200 F4L. It is a great lens for the track. especially if using a monopod. but if you can afford to go 2.8 I would totally go for it. I couldn't afford that kind of price jump at the time. Personally if track use it what your getting it for, I wouldn't be too concerned about IS, most of the time I have it off since I am panning, and it's very bright out.

Heres a shot I took last season, with this lens.

Sweet pic

Tracked on a monopod?

I knew you had the 70-200 F4 (wasn't sure IS or not)

The 70-200 f2.8 IS has 2 modes of IS ... so you can still pan on h axis or lock it full on

I know it is a bit spendy... I figured it's a great multi use lens.. Everyone I know with one raves about it.. and I have talked to more than a few who bought a non-is or a f4 and then upgraded.. figured I'd just start where I'd want to be.. or I'd constantly what if.. know what I mean?

I imagine in bright light I won't need 2.8... but anything less it's going to be a help.. plus shooting handheld most of the time the IS helps - I do not plan on having a large lens collection.. so I am going for middle to high of the ones I want (1 x closeup zoom - 1 x 50mm prime - 1 x 70-200 - and maybe an extender (although my one and only time using the 1.4 I was less than impressed...) I'd love one of the longer ones.. but they cost sooooo much money.. and when it starts coming down to a new gixxer 750 or a lens... bike is gonna win
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

oh and Eric...

Canon has 2 lines of extenders.. Prosumer glass.. and L glass... Obviously they are not interchangable ... and also obviously the one with the white paint job is a bit more pricey...

So I would technically have to buy 2.. but I would probably only by the L one - for the long lens... If I needed to extend my 135mm I'd just be using my 200 anyway

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 07-03-2009 at 10:49 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

congrats on the purchase! I would love to have this lens. IS is pretty much useless when panning or taking action shots, but is very useful in low light conditions. I have a Sigma EX 70-200 F/2.8 and while it's no Canon L glass, it's pretty sweet and at 700 that I paid for it did not break the bank.

here is my take from the trackday with this lens:

and another action shot:

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Love the shots...
Thanks for the buyers remorse guys
I just bought a lens that costs more than my camera.. *with* it's lens ... and you guys are posting up awesome shots

In any case... The whole - no is for panning.. actually.. I listed that in the + column..
Specifically due to the dual mode IS.. ie you can have x/y access IS or just x access..
So say you are on a monopod.. flip to mode 2 and you can track sith it but not have up down..

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00KHTK

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00PGQK

side note.. when I have used this lens most of the time.. it has been so fast there is not a lot of tracking going on.. When I open it up and fire away it's running 1/1000 of a second or so at 2.8

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 07-03-2009 at 11:00 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

was half tempted to grab this one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
<600 bucks.. and I bet 80% or more of the time it would work perfectly
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
plus shooting handheld most of the time the IS helps
Also holding the camera while keeping your elbows against your body does the same thing. How do you think we did it BEFORE image stabilization was even thought of?

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
well, I didn't see this until just now, but I would have told you to get what you got also. Last year I borrowed a very similar nikon lens (80-200 2.8) with a 1.7x (I think, it may have been 1.4) teleconverter when I went to F1 Canada. It had decent reach and still plenty fast enough for the outdoor summer lighting.

I'm with you on regretting a mediocre purchase when you realize it wouldn't have been much more to get what you really wanted or should have got in the first place.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A

You made the right choice...cause if you do get the extender, yeah it will drop a stop (or two for the 2x) but you'll have your 400mm of reach, at close to the same speed as the 100-400mm without an extender...but the plus side is without the extender, you have 2.8, which I'm sure you'll find makes that lens the winner. Enjoy the purchase and post some pics when you get it!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Also holding the camera while keeping your elbows against your body does the same thing. How do you think we did it BEFORE image stabilization was even thought of?
Tripods?

seriously though. I considered the non is model. Would have saved me about 400$ from IS. I shot with a 70-200 non IS at the AMA race this year at the shutter speeds I was using IS probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. That said I figured there are a number of scenarios where it will come into play... And it would be nice to cover as many bases as possible with as few lenses as possible. Both from cost and logistics perspectives. It's amazing how much shit I have to lug around just for a day trip now. I am limited to one bag for camera stuff (and 4 for baby)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Frost View Post
You made the right choice...cause if you do get the extender, yeah it will drop a stop (or two for the 2x) but you'll have your 400mm of reach, at close to the same speed as the 100-400mm without an extender...but the plus side is without the extender, you have 2.8, which I'm sure you'll find makes that lens the winner. Enjoy the purchase and post some pics when you get it!
That was pretty much my thought process

The 1.4x eats a stop. The 2.0x eats 2 stops

need more than that I'll just start playing lotto. Maybe I can get a 1200mm like Jim jennard . I think they make less than a dozen a year. Or maybe that was a dozen total. Then of course... Put a 2.0x extender on it
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Tripods?
Couldnt use tripods on the sidelines at night HS football games. Bad enough I carried 2 cameras and a fanny pack full of film rolls. Luckily the school had fast lenses for me to use. A 50 1.4 on on F3 and a 80-200 2.8 on the other F3. Only had one motor drive though. Usually had it on F3/50 combo. Had to run out of the way a few times. Really sucky part was I had to develop my own film PLUS 2 of the other school p-togs film since they didnt know how.

Really funny part is I had better gear than the local newspaper sports p-tog.

Last edited by YZFRob; 07-04-2009 at 01:03 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 AM

Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A

Quote:
That was pretty much my thought process

The 1.4x eats a stop. The 2.0x eats 2 stops

need more than that I'll just start playing lotto. Maybe I can get a 1200mm like Jim jennard . I think they make less than a dozen a year. Or maybe that was a dozen total. Then of course... Put a 2.0x extender on it
LOL.

I'm still using the 70-300mm IS, but as soon as I can, I'm going for the same exact lens as you, with the 2x extender for track pics. The money is beyond worth it.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
well, when you want a real lens you can get something like this.....

Nikkor super telephoto zoom 1200-1700mm

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofyl View Post

Looks like a sigzilla

I really should go nikon. Bro in law has a large lens collection I know he'd let me borrow. But I like the feel of the canon more. Obviously neither is a slouch and you can't go wrong either way...
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 AM

canon has one too....I wasn't trying to start that war.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...l-L-Lenses.jsp

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Couldnt use tripods on the sidelines at night HS football games. Bad enough I carried 2 cameras and a fanny pack full of film rolls. Luckily the school had fast lenses for me to use. A 50 1.4 on on F3 and a 80-200 2.8 on the other F3. Only had one motor drive though. Usually had it on F3/50 combo. Had to run out of the way a few times. Really sucky part was I had to develop my own film PLUS 2 of the other school p-togs film since they didnt know how.

Really funny part is I had better gear than the local newspaper sports p-tog.
Yeah.

me thinking I can elbow in 3 stops is a lot like my belief that I can squint down perfect vision

that said you did that then cuz you had to. Almost all the pros use It now especially on the long stuff

look at the old bikes. Wanna go back to rock hard tires and dual bouncy shocks like they used to race on (well still do in some cases right? ) I imagine you wouldn't want to go racing a 600rr on a cb750

Everything moves on and this post has moved on since I started it on my phone an hour ago

so just hitting done and getting back to the little ones
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
canon has one too....I wasn't trying to start that war.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...l-L-Lenses.jsp
Familiar with that or . That's the one I mentioned earlier that Jim jennard (sp?) owns. He has a bit of money though. Being the founder of Oakley and all
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:17 PM
TMC

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders

Quote:

funny that he's shooting a Canon body...

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
funny that he's shooting a Canon body...

Just gonna post that also.

BTW that lens is NOTHING . Heres how to hand held a large lens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode