Camera Advice... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Photographers Corner This forum is specifically for talk about camera's and photography. question about a camera or how to get that perfect shot post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
Camera Advice...

So ive been doing some thinking, and since i most likely wont be riding track this season, i was looking at trying to obtain and good camera and maybe take some photos at diffrent track events.

So heres my question, Is there any clearance i need to get if i wanted to take photos at trackdays? Also what advice would our photographers out there recommend as far as what featurs to look for. Im thinking preferably somewhat user friendly as im no pro here (no where near). Also i am thinking if possible somewhat portible so when i go on rides i can have a camera to use (not exactly necessary).

My current thought process is to go for the Canon rebel t1i as that is the camera my mom would like (she can have her camera and i can have a camera for trackdays)

thanks for the advice

p.s is it trackseason yet

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Typically, No clearances required to take shots at a track day or at a race if you take them from normal spectator areas. If you want to take shots from "special" areas, ask the track for permission.

IF you plan on giving shots away, most people don't care. If you want to SELL shots of a track day event, you will need the approval of the track day vendor.

You will need a minimum of a 210 or 300mm zoom and a fast auto-focus digital SLR, OR a very good hand and a pre-set focal area where you take your shots. Some sort of stability in the lens or the body help SIGNIFICANTLY, and a good monopod. Look to show at 125 or slower with the widest F-stop you have. Be sure you learn how to track a subject (no pun intended)

On the other hand, I have all of the above, and you are more than welcome to borrow mine at events that I'll be at. It might be a good way to get your feet wet and see what you think and what you need before dropping serious coin.

(You can look through my camera bags next Tuesday if you want)

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 01-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

I take photos at any track from anywhere normal riders and attendees can reach. Some tracks will allow you to access certain infield areas to take photos without any type of pass, you just have to ask nicely. Other tracks will prevent that specifically as they either (a) have their own paid track photographer (e.g. Autobahn) or (b) will have an agreement with a photographer and honor that only they and their staff can get access to certain areas.

Blackhawk is a good place for photos as everyone has access to the entire infield and there are a number of good places you can setup for photos.

If you want anything decent from a trackday you'll need a DSLR and a good lens, nothing like a Point & Shoot compact camera, so taking it along on rides isn't going to be as simple as dropping it in a pocket. But you don't need a large professional camera either.

For example, I took this at Putnam in a spot that anyone can walk up to (exit of Turn 10) and I used the smallest DSLR you can get (Nikon D40) with the most compact zoom lens available (Nikkor 18-200 VR) and the results are not too bad.

This time a novice shooter standing in the same spot using my camera with a longer 70-300VR lens:

And with the same package (D40 + 70-300) in a spot that anyone with GA tickets to the IndyGP can access:

You can fit the a D40-sized body and compact zoom lens in a small backpack or even a very small dedicated shoulder bag. But the kit lens you get with those camera (entry-level Nikor or Canon DSLR) will not be good enough for track photos, you'll be way too far away from even the closest corners.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Blackhawk is great for shooting. Autobahn sucks, the place is run by Nazi's.

I have taken 1000's of shots there.

My setup is
Canon SLR
Mono pod
70-200 f4L canon lens
70-300 Canon lens
I also use a variety of filters to get the affects I want.
and a zuma scooter to get around

it takes some practice to get it right, but once you get the panning down and the settings for optimum quality you will be very pleased.

I wish I had more time to do this, I love shooting at the track.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
of course you dont need to spend a shit-ton to take nice shots. I took this one of my daughter running through the pumpkin patch with a canon point and shoot on shutter speed mode.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport

Thanks for the input guys. much appreciated, Ill do some searching around and see what i cant find.

Brian, Ill most likely be there next tuesday if i can take a peak at your set up that would be amazing.

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.

Last edited by streetracin1820; 01-16-2010 at 01:33 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Only issue at Blackhawk you could come into is if you plan on selling the shots (even if you do it via your website). If you are there to sell pictures you take there (on or off site), you have to pay the vendor fee.

At CCS events we usually let people come up to the corner stands if they want to shoot pics of their friends. BUt you have to stay where we tell you and keep out of our way. But you should ask before walking up. At track days, some workers get rather ancy when someone walks out to an unmanned station.

Over the last few years at BHF I've seen some rather retarded idiots put themselves in some rather dangerous positions to "get the shot". Last year a guy nearly got hit in T4 when a bike carthwheeled over the fence. Why the worker allowed him to stand there I dunno. Couple years ago a photographer snuck out and laid in the grass in turn 3 about 20' from the track. Theres a few of the professionals out there that I trust to know where is safe and where they shouldnt be that the workers dont need to worry about them.

Each track is different. When I cornerworked at RA I was told no spectators allowed in corner stands. Only credentialed photogs were allowed beyond the spectator fence.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
^^^Bad for your hearing

Thanks for the input, as far as photos go, I just thought it be a good way to pass time and another way to get a bit more involved with trackdays when not riding. Not looking to make a buck of this at all and wouldnt be selling shots, Post them up for others to see and print yes but not sell.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

It's not what you shoot with as much as what you shoot. Take that one to the bank.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
It's not what you shoot with as much as what you shoot. Take that one to the bank.
Try telling that to Canon users.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
Try telling that to Canon users.
Giggle to infinity.. trust me...

I've had to be so selective with model releases the past few years it's scary.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode