Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Which size looks best?

Is a 50" too small for this room?

814 views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Kruz 
#1 ·
I think it is. Seating distance is 20' at its furthest point but most is 16'-17'.

Im thinking 58".

#3 ·
At first glance yes.

Taken from Tweeter.com

Here's a good rule of thumb. If you're looking at an HDTV, then take the seating distance to the screen in inches and divide that by 2.5. Let's say your distance is 12 feet, which is 144 inches. Using this formula, your optimum screen size would be 144 ÷ 2.5 = 57 inches. So a 56-inch size screen would fit your needs best. By the way, this works for any type of TV you're considering.

#11 · (Edited)
Quality over quantity? IMO Panny plasma has better pq than any Aquos.

Brian...that "whatever fits in your cabinet"? I guess you dont need to see Brokeback mountain in lifesize. Please turn in your man card immediately. :)

This is the family room and where we spend the most time. It is the primary TV viweing area as well and is viewed from the kitchen another 20' back.

This 50" is going back as soon as I find something bigger. Im gonna make the 58" work I think.

#13 · (Edited)
I was going to suggest that. Projectors only go up to 1080i I believe though. I have a projector and the picture quality is actually pretty good. Couple of my friends were playing Madden on PS3 with the projector and picture was the same quality as if I had put it on the LCD it was just a hell of alot bigger. The only problem with the projector is going to be that its your primary TV. Projectors are nice to watch movies and stuff but watching your regular TV won't be so good since it will have to be really dark.

#21 ·
Get the widest one that will fit in that book case, fill that bitch up. your family room is setup exactly how my dads family room was set up. he was rockin a 58 in that cabinet next to his fireplace.

Oh and vcook is right, but if you could control the light I would go retractable screen from the ceiling with a projector on servos in the ceiling. one touch of a button and the whole system disappears. The neighbor across the street from my dad had this system and it was beyond pimp. of course you do have light issues though.

#23 ·
Oh and vcook is right, but if you could control the light I would go retractable screen from the ceiling with a projector on servos in the ceiling. one touch of a button and the whole system disappears. The neighbor across the street from my dad had this system and it was beyond pimp. of course you do have light issues though.
I would think you'd want to make sure you know which way the joists run first.

#22 · (Edited)
58" Panasonic is the way to go. A friend of mine just finished his basement, or as we call it, "The Man Cave." He was going to go with the 50 like mine, but I told him the 58 would be better, so he bought it and he's glad he did. It's easy to see from the bar which is about 23 feet away. It does make my 50 look small.

I never thought I'd say that my 50" TV looks small. :wtf: :laughing:

I'm a big plasma fan as my Panny has been perfect for 2.5 years now, but BusaDave made a good point about it being in a bright room. LCD's are "suposedly" better than plasma's for brighter rooms. Do your homework young man!

#24 · (Edited)
I sit just under 10 feet from a 50", I would go bigger for that room.

Panasonic or Pioneer.

BTW - I was looking for a cheap LCD for gaming yesterday. I noticed Insignia had a 32 inch 1080p for $650 at best buy. Then I noticed about six of them as open boxes..:laughing:

The picture was so washed out compared to the Samsung next to it. The Sony on the other side of it was $1,300. Hmm.. I guess you get what you pay for.

#27 ·
:laughing Enough of the PJ suggestions already. This is the family room/main room in the house. My wife needs to operate it daily and a drop down screen is not real child friendly. Tony...dont even think about it. Im surprsied you would even suggest it.

We have a wonderful view out the back of our home and minimal blinds on the backside because of this. We are not putting up blinds so a PJ is out of the question. As mentioned above, I have a PJ in the HT in the basement.

Ive got a couple months to rock this 50" Panny and figure out what I want to do. I like the 58" Panny but the two tone black and silver is not ideal so I'll be patient and find the perfect fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.