The Official Smoker Thread - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The CLSB Kitchen Here ya go ladies and gents, the long awaited cooking forum is open for all to enjoy. Gather around the stove and marvel at Tony's Chili.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

The Official Smoker Thread

We love our new smoker, and plan on using it often. Here is a place we can post up ideas, what worked, what didn't, what kinds of smokers work, ect. Please feel free to post up recipies, link websites, ect. here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

i thought this was gonna be about something different... nevermind
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

kidding aside a smoker is a nice buy and something i may have to look into
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
+1

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Quote:
Hey, I know this guy now! ^^

Signed up Dave - gonna start looking for some recipes online tonight so I can clean out the smoker tomorrow morning and give it a try. Thanks again, Dave!

Adam
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Let's boogie!

Sportbike: Proven Winner
Years Riding: Since you were on the teat..
How you found us: The Big Sur Merlot & Mescaline Tasting Tour

Quote:
Yeah, for a second there I thought Dave and Mandy had adopted me and just neglected to tell me yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
CCS/ASRA #904

Sponsored by: TeamMCC.com

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

I'll tell you fo sure

Brisket is 1.25 hrs per pound. when the timer goes off let it rest in the smoker another 30 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy4dsm View Post
Hey, I know this guy now! ^^
We were glad to give you the old smoker. It was a great smoker for us, we simply wanted something easier to use. BTW, didja like my jammies?

I found out one of the problems I had when I was smoking. Like 2wheelpilot said, the wood tray may not have been installed correctly. When Adam was over picking up our old smoker, I noticed the tray was not slid in all the way. Oops. The briscot we made was good, the next one will be better. Next my father in law wants some fish smoked. I'll do that on it's own, then we are thinking turkey or chicken. Hell, I want to load the thing with hot dogs on a stick and bring them to Winks for tech day.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Fading fast...

Sportbike: Buell
Years Riding: since '88
How you found us: someone in traffic school...

I've got a smoker new in the box. Let's see some of those good recipes and I just might pull it out and give it a try.

If you ride like there's no tomorrow, today will be a BLAST!

UR Mom Racing #13
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Probably not a bad beginner resource to check out: Rubs, home made smoker, smoking theory, etc...

Adam
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
I did a turkey breast today. I did half with a spicy rub,and the other half was plain. Both sides were amazing. It's about 7 pounds, and cooked for 5 hours at 230*.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey.jpg (157.1 KB, 6 views)

I don't ride, I cook!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Here's a forum that I found that might be able to help some people out:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Adam
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

I made up a bottom round on Sunday for my first ever smoked meal. I don't think it was the best choice of meat for this style of cooking, but it turned out with great flavor! I didn't do much for basting it or anything, just some BBQ sauce about about 2 hours in and once after I flipped it. This caused it to come out a little bit dry and the texture was a little on the harder side but still very edible. I was surprised to find that it had a perfect little smoke ring around the outside when I cut into it. The final result had a bit of a spicy kick to it since the rub I used had some chili powder and crushed red pepper flake. Here's what I used for my rub:

Quote:
Basic Rub for Beef (Others may have better suggestions)
2 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
I ended up having to finish it for the last 25* inside the oven because I couldn't keep it hot enough in the smoker to get it up to temp after 6 hours. I turned the heat on to 300* and kept the digital thermometer in it until it was done. I really don't recommend doing this unless you have to. More than 24 hours later, it still smells like a bonfire in our house!

I think there was too much ash in the charcoal tub and it was smothering the coals and thus not putting off very much heat. I found a neat solution that should do the trick though. I lost the link, but if you put 3-4 bolts in the fuel bucket from the outside near the upper ring so that they're sticking in about 1.5-2", this will support another grate that the charcoal/fuel can go on - very similar to a regular grill. I also saw that you can add holes to the fuel bucket to increase air flow if that's needed. This will allow the ash to fall down into the bucket and keep better airflow around the fuel.

All of this was in preparation for this coming weekend when I will try to do a ham. I got some recipes online that seemed pretty simple but I wanted to give it a trial run.

Adam
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

I'm looking at this smoker. Thoughts?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104582880

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
triplez on here uses the big green egg, produces absolutely amazing brisket

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
I would recommend an electric or propane fueled one. It makes it that much easier to maintain temperature.

Greg

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Im going with a smokey mountain charcoal smoker. Propane and electric smokers are blasphemy.

I've been smoking with a weber kettle for awhile now. I did two 4 pound briskets yeaterday. Charcoal is easy to control once you get the hang if it. You can also retrofit a charcoal smoker with an automatic temp controller if you really want to

Eric
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
I'm looking at this smoker. Thoughts?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104582880
The webers are difficult (compared to a good smoker) to control, tend to run "hot", require a water pan as a heat deflector, and for longer smokes require you to add charcoal and water. There are many people that use them, they're cheap, but IMHO you will be more frustrated trying to get a recipe to come out good than its worth. Most neighbors who have bought one, either sold it, or only used it a couple times.

There are many smokers available (offset, reverse draft, etc) and if you plan on cooking large amounts at a time (4 pork shoulders or 3 briskets) I'd recommend an offset smoker. They have the fire box on the side, and a large barrel type cooking area.

For smaller cooks, 1-2 briskets or 3-4 racks of ribs, I don't think you can beat a ceramic type cooker such as the Green egg. I've got the large egg and it holds temp very well, can cook 24+ hours on a single load of charcoal, meat stays moist, and it uses a ceramic heat diverter (no water needed). I've added a BBQ Stoker fan control to mine for the long cooks and remote meat temp monitoring. That's a tool I'd recommend for any smoker. Great piece of mind.

The Eggs are expensive, but their flexibility helps offset the cost. You can cold smoke cheese, sear a steak, or do a turkey (my turkeys have always sucked). The insulation again is a huge advantage over a standard grill or smoker. I'd recommend you buy the largest egg (or smoker) you can afford. I'm almost debating getting another large egg for the few times a year where I do larger cooks...... I tend to run out of space.

A couple other notes. Smoking and temperature control is all about air control. Any smoker you buy should have seals on the lid or door and dampers that have a good close fit (especially the inlet damper).
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Excellent feedback from everyone. A couple of things I should add. My co-worker has a green egg (wedding present from new father in-law), so I am aware of that product. However, it is waaay out of my price range no matter how awesome it is. Plus, I have $350+ in gift cards from Cabela's.

TripZ, here's what some dude posted about this model on Amazon, tell me what you think. It might be why your neighbors only used it a few times.

Quote:
My BBQ team Slap Yo Daddy BBQ from Diamond Bar, California, has been competing using these smokers which I bought off Amazon with free Prime shipping. They work flawlessly and are easy to use and clean up. Our WSMs regularly allow us to win Grand Championships even when we go up against other smokers costing over $15,000.

The key step once your smoker arrives is to ensure you season it properly. New WSMs will tend to overheat until you are able to get grease and gunk on the inside and around the rim where the lid sits to ensure an air tight seal. The fastest way to season is to do the following: Phase One - cover the water pan completely with aluminum foil and run a full load of lit Kingsford briquettes and let it run as hot as it can with no water in the pan (over 350 degrees) to burn off any manufacturing residue. Clean out the ash and proceed to phase two.

Phase Two - fill the charcoal basket 1/2 full of unlit briquettes. Then put in a 1/2 chimney of lit Kingsford briquettes in the middle. This will allow a slow burn for 3-5 hours at 72 degrees outside temperature. Adjust the vents to get 275 degrees on the dome thermometer. Put bacon strips, chicken parts, pork fat, or any other scrap meat you don't plan to eat. The key is to get fatty meats to generate lots of grease. Toss in a couple of tennis-sized wood chunks to generate smoke. Repeat Phase Two at least twice before you cook meat that you want to eat.

Phase Three - When you cook meat you plan to eat, take a tip from me and don't use any water in the pan. When I cook, I just cover the water pan with foil top and bottom. I foil it twice so I can remove the second layer after the cook and refoil it. That way, I don't have to clean my pan. It works just as well, AFTER YOU SEASON YOUR WSM, when you cook without water in the pan. Dry heat allows the crust to form faster on the meat (called the bark). Once the crust forms on the meat, you can introduce moisture. I just spray water with a regular spray bottle to encourage bark formation after the initial crusting (Maillard reaction) has begun. To test for properly formed bark, use your finger nail and scrape the meat surface. If the crust has formed, it will not come off when you gently scrape it with your fingernail. If the crust comes off, the bark has not set (still wet) so don't spray until it sets. Let it cook longer and check back in 15 mins. You'll get much better results this way. We've won many awards with this technique.

When it comes to cleaning your WSM, never wash the insides. Get a good grill brush and scrape down the insides and dome. You need the "aroma" which takes several years to build up. I NEVER mix my meat WSMs from my seafood and hotdog WSMs. Nothing destroys the aroma faster than cooking fish/seafood/hotdogs in a WSM used to cook chicken, ribs, pork, brisket, and tri tip. That's why you should buy a pair if you plan to cook seafood/fish/hotdogs. Better yet, get a Weber Kettle for those meats. Remember to always empty the ash from the bottom and grease on the foiled water pan to avoid fires and any rancid old oil smell before you cook. When you need to clean the grates, put the grates in a big plastic trash bag, put on gloves, and spray oven cleaner on the grates while in the bag and let sit for 1/2 hour. Hose off the grates. It's as easy as that. To clean the outsides, I use Simple Green spray.

Enjoy your WSMs. They are awesome and built to last.

I found another site that references the guy I quoted above.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ain_setup.html

Last edited by jrock; 05-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Crystal Ball

You see Weber Bullets at competitions. Most use cabinet style smokers like the Backwoods brand. I and my team use three UDS' aka Ugly Drum Smokers
Big Green Eggs are fantastic. They are also expensive, delicate and don't hold much meat.

Check out
www.bbq-brethren.com
for absolutely every possible speck of smoking knowledge to ever exist

www.MidwestTrackDay.com
www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
www.speedmob.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 03:25 PM
You got the talkin' done

I bought the Weber. I went with the middle size (18.5") and bought a remote thermometer as well. The gauge on the unit is off by almost 50 degrees just like most people said. I used all but $.82 of my gift cards, so it was perfect. I have used it once and did a beer can chicken in it. Turned out pretty good, but I had trouble keeping the temp steady and I couldn't get the temp of the chicken over 165 for some reason (even after 3+ hours). I'm going to try another chicken and some ribs this weekend using hickory and apple wood chunks.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Model citizen

I do whole chickens all the time. 325 for about 1.5 - 2 hours. You dont need chicken to go over 165 internal. Anything more than that will just dry it out.

Light olive oil on the outside with salt and pepper. Stuff it with chopped onions, garlic, apple, and lemon.

Eric
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Model citizen

10 plus pounds of pork shoulder for Fathers day pulled pork tomorrow. Part of the fun for me is tending to the fire while doing stuff around the house. This should finish up sometime around 8 or 9 tonight

If im going to set a dial on an electric or propane smoker and let it cook on its own, I mght as well just do it in the oven. Boring!

Eric
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
The Minion Method is great for extended smoke times. Beer Can Chicken took 4 hours and had an amazing smoke flavor in my 22.5. Pork Shoulder was amazing with cherry wood also. I have a brisket I am looking forward to soon.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
You got the talkin' done

I've been referencing this site:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode