smoker - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The CLSB Kitchen Here ya go ladies and gents, the long awaited cooking forum is open for all to enjoy. Gather around the stove and marvel at Tony's Chili.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

smoker

I just got a smoker. But had a question about it and waz you people do.

I know how to do the traditional smoking with wood. But this type has a bowl for water which you can add a brine. I'm thinking this is like steam cooking the food. Will this make it taste weird? Or should I put coal then add some wood on top of the coal for it to burn, and remove the water bowl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post

I know how to do the traditional smoking with wood. But this type has a bowl for water which you can add a brine. I'm thinking this is like steam cooking the food. Will this make it taste weird? Or should I put coal then add some wood on top of the coal for it to burn, and remove the water bowl?
Don't use charcoal briquets, they are manufactured with oils, and other chemicals and will make your smoked meat taste funny.

Go out and get some natural hardwood charcoal. I like Grove, but there are different types from different woods that will burn faster, slower, or give different levels of smoke.

The water pan you are asking about is just that. For long smokes, keeping the meat moist can be a challenge. Some people add a water pan to add extra moisture to the smoker. Others will wrap the meat in aluminum foil after a certain amount of time.

What type of smoker did you get? I got an Egg last year, and since its sealed very well, minimal airflow, drying meat out isn't an issue. The few times I've added a water pan...... the meat came out almost poached.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

The official smoker thread.

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...d.php?t=101104

Thank you for searching, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

brinkmann smoke n grill non electric, non gas. Got it as a gift.

I thought about doing a turkey, but not sure if I would like it. Tried a smoke drumstick at the store, and thought it was a bit gross. The kind you mix with yo collard greens.

Love smoked fish, and sausage. Would love to try BBQ Ribs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM

I had one like that, and gave it to someone on here. It made the best beef brisket I have ever had. It takes some maintenance while cooking, but well worth it. I have a Bradley and its good, but the taste is hella better with the one like you have.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Crystal Ball

I cook on UDS'. I use Kingsford Blue Bag or Competition. And, mix in wood chips or wood chunks. Just put water in the water pan. The water will steam during the cook and moisturize the meat

www.MidwestTrackDay.com
www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday
www.speedmob.com

Please remember the Roadracing World Action Fund in the upcoming holiday season
https://secure.echoalley.com/actionfund/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

TDS, I've never had a great Turkey on the smoker. Some good ones, not great.

Try picking up either Adam Perry Langs Serious BBQ or Big Bob Gibsons BBQ book. I like the ribs in Langs book....and the bare naked brisket recipe from the Gibson book. Ribs are typically a timed cook, multiple steps, including a wrap and glaze. Brisket should be a temperature based cook since time really is determined by the fat marbelling.

Ribs will be an easier first cook. I'd get some cherry or pecan wood (fist sized chunks) for adding the smoke.

Edit:///. Looking at the grill online, with that setup you will HAVE to use a water pan for smoking, as it acts as a heat diverter. Without it, you will burn the outside without cooking the inside.

Last edited by TripleZ; 12-23-2012 at 07:30 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
I have the same but electric and got it as a gift as well. When starting off in the smoking, start with smaller things and different woods. Also, take it easy in how much wood you use. Less wood means lighter flavor. If you like smoked turkey breast, you should like a lightly smoked turkey. I tried smoked chicken and used too much wood and my wife was not crazy about it. After that cut down on how much smoke I used and it all tasted better. Think of it as slow cooking like a crock pot, but with more flavor and work. Also, with your smoker, it will be a little bit of an art to control the temperature. Anyways, have fun.

Greg

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Turkey is good smoked, it needs to be injected with some sort of liquid.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM

Sportbike: None, yet.
Years Riding: Not long, really.
How you found us: Googled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post

I think that's a bowl for cold smoking. You add iced water in it and it'll cool the smoke so that it doesn't cook your meat.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
I had one like that, and gave it to someone on here. It made the best beef brisket I have ever had. It takes some maintenance while cooking, but well worth it. I have a Bradley and its good, but the taste is hella better with the one like you have.
Dave, you gave it to me. I use it a few times per summer, but since I'm the only one eating the results, I don't get to use it as often as I'd like.

The one thing I would suggest is be careful of the temperature of the water you put in the bowl. If you put in cold water, you will take forever to get the chamber up to the desired temp. Too hot and you'll exceed that temp very quickly. I donít ever put a brine in there, just water to keep the moisture up and to keep the heat more consistent. Without the water, the temp will jump up and down in relation to the size of the flame or intensity of the coals where the water can absorb a lot of that shock. It also keeps the heat from rising directly into the bottom of your meat (ha!) and forces it around in the chamber.

I also never remember to soak the wood the night before so make sure you do that. It helps make more smoke rather than just heat.

As for stuff to cook, get a pre cooked half ham. Do a criss-cross/spiral pattern at an angle all over the ham (would look like a netting sitting over the whole thing) and rub the whole thing down with mustard. Look online for a good rub recipe, the one I last made was pretty spicy but really good. Rub the whole thing down with the rub over the top of the mustard and put it cut face down onto some foil, then put it on the rack. An hour or two later, it should be up to temp (just needs to heat, itís already cooked) and the outside crust will get nice and dark and the criss-cross pattern will open up showing the meat inside. Made it for a party this fall and it was the talk of the event. Makes an awesome ham and cheese sammich too!

Adam
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM

That is a good idea with the ham. I knew I gave it to someone here, lol. I think you picked it up from Mandy. I left the door cracked open on it for more air. I used cowboy brand charcoal from trader joes, and hickory wood soaked 24-36 hours in water.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Sportbike: 2003 ZRX1200R
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: YTRAP

smokers

The water pan can be used to add flavor also. When I'm doing pork shoulders I mix apple juice and water 50/50.Keeps the meat moist and tender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode