Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Good coffee makers

17K views 99 replies 36 participants last post by  c2000 
#1 ·
For a while been looking into a coffee maker that also does cappuccino and espresso's. Not looking to spend much. Buddies dad just got a $1200 one which is out of my price range. Suggestions?

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Broke my french press a couple weeks ago, so I just bought another last night. Great product.

If you want a espresso/cappuccino machine it's going to cost you for something good. DeLonghi is a pretty reputable brand.

#9 ·
We got one of these as a gift and we think its great. We can buy the t-disks on-line or at Target or Bed, Bath and Beyond. We keep our eye out for where its cheapest.

btw, I think they are around $169, but you can find them for less I am sure.

http://www.tassimodirect.com/tassimo/index.aspx
This is on my Christmas wish list. A few co-workers have expressed great results. There is a $30 rebate as well to get the price point <$150 all day.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Decided to go with the press as everyone seems to suggest. I guess I can go out and get a stand alone espresso maker if I ever want, but from all the reviews it seems that it's just better to take that extra few minutes and do it yourself. How about grinder suggestions?

#10 ·
At home I have a Keurig one cup maker. In under 5 minutes I'm out the door with a cup o Joe for the ride to the office. It is fast, easy and you can choose what you want to drink on a cup by cup basis. Refills are available on line for pretty cheap. About $.40 a cup. CostCo has one cheap.

Oh, I have a regular drip that I pull out when there is a gang over and expresso machine too.

This post has been deleted
#21 · (Edited)
Rancilio Silvia & Rocky combo

You'll think you've died and gone to espresso and cappuccino heaven.

Krups machines suck, as do blade type grinders. My first set-up was a Krups and blade grinder and it was horrible, couldn't make espresso for shit. No crema, no consistency, just crap burnt or underextracted 'coffee.'
The next setup was a Gaggia, and it held up great and was $200 for the machin and $100 for a burr grinder. It made pretty good espresso, steamed well enough for frothed beverages, and the grinder was pretty consistent.

My current setup is the Rancilio combo. Worth every freakin penny. I've had it for 2yrs and it still belts out perfect grinds, adjustable for all the different beans I've tried, and shots that make Starbucks taste like 5 month old gas station coffee. The steamer makes perfect microfoam, perfect for latte art or just super-smooth sippin cappucinos.

If you want a decent, reasonably priced machine, stick with Gaggia, Saeco or Rancilio.

#27 ·
I went through coffee makers like water till I went to Starbucks and bought a Barista. Had it 3 years now no problems.

#33 ·
I accidentally tapped it with the screen/press, same way I broke the last one if I remember right. They're too fragile. I only make coffee on weekends and only for myself, I'll go back to using my Mr. Coffee. I'll still grind the beans fresh, I'm just tired of replacing my press.

#38 ·
What the heck are you doing to break so many? You don't plunge it like a toilet. :p

I've had the same Bodum french press for so long, I can't even remember when or where I bought it... I'm going to say over 10 years ago, possibly more like 15. Maybe they used to be made better?

Watch, who wants to take bets that I break it tomorrow?

#39 ·
I'm not kidding when I say I barely tapped the side with the plunger as I went to clean it out. I think the last one I hit with a spoon or something when it was in the sink. The carafe is way too thin, it's ridiculous. This is when cool by the way, not hot.

#40 · (Edited)
Here is mine. Its a Bodum but not as fancy as the others. I have had it for about 7 years now as Jenya left it when we broke up. It has been collecting dust up until 6 months or so ago when I started drinking coffee at work. Now everyone calls me a coffee snob here since I make it this way. I wash it every day when i wash my coffee travel cup. I make sure when I pull the glass sleeve out of the container of the Bodum I don't hit it against anything. As soon as its washed I slide it back into the rubber mug type holder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.