This Chilly Weather Demands CHILI!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The CLSB Kitchen Here ya go ladies and gents, the long awaited cooking forum is open for all to enjoy. Gather around the stove and marvel at Tony's Chili.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
This Chilly Weather Demands CHILI!!!

Some of you know me as an avid amateur chef, and of all things that I make, I take the most pride in my chili. It was my first custom recipe that I ever concocted, which I've refined over the years. I normally only make it during the cold weather months, and holy hell it's FUCKING COLD!!!

My philosophy behind my chili is to make something hearty, that doesn't necessarily burn the shit out of you (though it definitely sports a kick to the nuts), but one that attacks your whole tongue with a wide variety of flavors. To that end, I incorporate numerous types of chili, along with other interesting ingredients like cinnamon, ground ginger, brown sugar, and bourbon.

This year, I'm thinking of trying a can of beer in my chili (it's supposed to be good, ala beer brats). I wanted to find out what you all like to do with your chili, in my never-ending search for new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
I just hd some last night and finished a bowl rigt nw, I will post later. I sided mine with french bread wih a bit of butter.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Bek,

Interested in your concoctions, both pre and post beer versions.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

First, get 2lbs of beef chunks. I will get either steak and cube it, or the "beef stew chunks" from the butcher, and cut those into smaller bite sized pieces. Toss those into a plastic freezer bag with 1/2 Worcestershire & 1/2 A-1 sauce... enough to coat, so maybe what... 1/2 a cup of each, if you have 2lbs of meat. Toss in crushed garlic, freshly ground black pepper, and let it sit in the fridge... the longer the better.

Now it's cooking day. Break out the crock pot and a large saucepan. Start browning your meat over low-medium heat. In the meantime, toss 2 14oz cans of tomato sauce, 2 small cans tomato paste, 1 can kidney beans, and 2 packets of McCormick's chili mix, into said crockpot. This is simply your base. And when you pick your tomato sauce and paste, make sure it's NOT plain... there's all sorts of variants available, be it Italian Seasoning, Garlic and Onion, etc. Pick something, ANYTHING except plain.

Onto the veggies. You'll want 4 bell peppers... 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, & 1 orange. This gives great flavor and wonderful color to the chili. Dice them all up into small bits and toss 'em into the crock pot. You'll also want 1 onion, preferably a red onion or yellow sweet onion. Dice that up. Whenever your meat is done browning, toss the meat AND fat into the crock pot. Don't clean out the saucepan, but toss the onions in there and sautee them, to carmelize and bring out their real flavors. Toss that into the crockpot when done, then throw 4-7 shots worth of Jack Daniels into the saucepan to deglaze it and cook the alcohol out (only about 15-20 seconds, careful to breathe or not breathe the fumes), and toss that into the crock pot. Finally get some more freshly crushed garlic and throw that into the crockpot.

Now the real fun begins... the dry spices. None of the following have any true measurements... except for a little (maybe a tablespoon), some (1/4 of a cup?), to a lot (1/3 of a cup?). You'll add a some salt, a lot of lemon pepper, some cane sugar, some brown sugar, AND some cinnamon (all 3 are required for the sweet element to work properly). Toss in cayenne pepper, chili powder, and crushed red pepper seeds to taste.

Here's where the variation begins. Often I'll throw in oregano, a little ginger, rosemary, sage, mace, mustard powder, and nutmeg. I'll usually throw in some more Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice as well. Citrus zest or rinds work well for tartness as well. I've also used multiple meats... 1lb of beef chunks & 1lb of either pork chunks or chicken breast chunks. I've also used bacon, but that tends to disinegrate after cooking in the crockpot, but imparts wonderful flavor.

Finally, presuming you have a massive crockpot like I do, fill up the remaining space with beef broth. I've been meaning to experiment with beer, and intend on doing that this season. I might try a can of corn next time, to add in a different element of color and crunch.

Slow cook the shit out of this, all day. I generally go back to the crockpot and stir & taste, about once an hour. Usually after 2 hours is when the flavors really begin to meld, and you can often determine if you need to add a hit of something else. Often, I find myself adding more brown sugar and cinnamon (but never cane, use that the least), just to get the right level of sweet... and more lemon or lemon pepper, to get the right blend of tart. It should be nice and thick as well, with all of the tomato sauce and paste. I've never had to use corn starch or anything else to thicken it up.

Finally, on the issue of heat, if you've used enough cayenne, chili powder, and crushed red pepper seeds, you'll find that this chili gets HOTTER the longer you cook it. If you have any of those small red chili peppers that you often find in Asian cooking, throw a few of those bastards in there too, to really kick it up. I've never cared for how siracchi <sp?> melds in with my chili, so don't use that.

I just got an idea via Suh-C, who was hurting from BBW's mango habanero he had last night. Started to wonder what would happen if I integrated dried mango and dried apricot into the chili, like a Mediterranean chicken stew recipe I have.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I love good chili & yours sounds awesome Andy!

There were tons of really good chilis at the NESBA cook-off

I wonder if there are any good Chili cook-offs around here this time of year?!?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Brr.... I'm hitting Atlanta Bread for Chili asap

The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character

Looking for a German Shepherd? PM me
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
with the cold temps around the corner I figured I would revive this thread.

Andy, I always use Cumin, usually equal parts with chili powder. Also, I find that I prefer chunky chili, so I use alot of chunky tomato products, like Rotel.

Also for meat, I usually use ground products. My favorite is usually 1 LB. ground turkey, 1 or 2 pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of spicey pork sausage. However, I have used bulk italian sausage as well.

as for spices, I usually use about 1 tablespoond plus of chili powder and 1 tablespoon plus of cumin per pound of meat. then oregano, crushed red pepper, cinnamon and brown sugar to taste.

Finally, I add the beans at the end, about 45 minutes before serving, and I always add corn and celery

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
mmmm...Chili sounds so good right now, I feel craptastic

- Steve
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Going to give this recipe a try this week. Don't know if I have ALL the stuff in the list, but I can get close and make some substitutions. This is already printed off and in the g/f's recipe book!

Adam
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Dont do a whole can of beer, it's over powering

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Dont do a whole can of beer, it's over powering
i usually make a big batch of chili and 1 can of beer is just right

<-- Chris

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
i usually make a big batch of chili and 1 can of beer is just right
I consume about 8 while making my chili.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
I consume about 8 while making my chili.
this sunday is Chili sunday for me, Championship football, a 6 pack of 312, chips salsa, and good company. Follow it up with a nice warm bowl of chili mac between the games, and things are looking up.

<-- Chris

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
The Victim Newbie

Chili recipe review

Andy - I took the opportunity to try your recipe. Except I changed a few things and the results were very favorable. Instead of using Beef Chunks, I used 1 pound of Ground Beef Marienated, 1 pound of Ground Turkey that was pan fried and had Taco seasoning added to it. ALso I used 2/3 of pounds of spicey breakfast pork sausage. Also, instead of beef broth, I used chicken broth. I also used Corn, Celery, and Cumin.
Also, since I like chunks of tomato, I took out one can of Tomato Sauce and used a can of Rotel Tomatoes instead. Finally, I used seagram's 7 instead of Jack Daniels (what I had)

The end result is that it's a thick chili. The taste was amazing, Hot, but not to spicy, sweet, but not too sweet. My guests also enjoyed it.

I learned a long time ago that no two batches are ever the same, and I will take several pieces away from this for the next time (the marinade and the whiskey in particular)

In Conclusion, the recipe is excellent, and if you love Chili, this recipe will not dissappoint.

Andy, thanks for the recipe, while I didn't follow it that closely, It was truely excellent in the end.

<-- Chris

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
Chili recipe review

Andy - I took the opportunity to try your recipe. Except I changed a few things and the results were very favorable. Instead of using Beef Chunks, I used 1 pound of Ground Beef Marienated, 1 pound of Ground Turkey that was pan fried and had Taco seasoning added to it. ALso I used 2/3 of pounds of spicey breakfast pork sausage. Also, instead of beef broth, I used chicken broth. I also used Corn, Celery, and Cumin.
Also, since I like chunks of tomato, I took out one can of Tomato Sauce and used a can of Rotel Tomatoes instead. Finally, I used seagram's 7 instead of Jack Daniels (what I had)

The end result is that it's a thick chili. The taste was amazing, Hot, but not to spicy, sweet, but not too sweet. My guests also enjoyed it.

I learned a long time ago that no two batches are ever the same, and I will take several pieces away from this for the next time (the marinade and the whiskey in particular)

In Conclusion, the recipe is excellent, and if you love Chili, this recipe will not dissappoint.

Andy, thanks for the recipe, while I didn't follow it that closely, It was truely excellent in the end.
You're most welcome! Were I still been able to join ya all for the snowmobiling trip, I would have loved to cook up a batch for the gang!

And yes, I too agree that no two batches of chili are ever the same. I'm constantly varying my recipe with tweaks and "oh shit, I ran out of X or Y." It doesn't help that none of my ingredients are precisely measured.

Pork sausage, like a chorizo or andoullie, is something else that I've contemplated using in a future batch. I think sliced up, they would make another fantastic addition to the recipe. Am not a fan of celery in chili, but corn is another item on my list of ingredients to try as well.

Glad you liked it and I'm glad that you've been able to take a few elements of my concoction to augment yours. I've always believed that great chili recipes should be shared!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode