using a infrared thermometer to check your cooking oil temp question? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
The CLSB Kitchen Here ya go ladies and gents, the long awaited cooking forum is open for all to enjoy. Gather around the stove and marvel at Tony's Chili.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
using a infrared thermometer to check your cooking oil temp question?

yeah i got a mini tek and was watching good eats and he used his to check and i said HEY i got one of those.

just wondering not sure if he said there was a couple degree difference when reading temp with this method

anyone know that difference? and yeah i delete the show already

making chicken tenders again.



Odysseys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,696
Location: Illinois
Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
yeah i got a mini tek and was watching good eats and he used his to check and i said HEY i got one of those.

just wondering not sure if he said there was a couple degree difference when reading temp with this method

anyone know that difference? and yeah i delete the show already

making chicken tenders again.
OMG soulmates. we watch the same thing.

he said the one with two different metals on the inside of the probe is the best and it being the smallest probe to prevent large holes.

you can watch some of his shows on youtube and theres a fan site where they have transcripts of every show.
taledarkside is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Slava
 
spetsnaz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Hills
Posts: 1,409
Location: The Hills
Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders
           
As long as you are in the 350 range, you'll be fine.
spetsnaz56 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Zydrate addict
 
Piercedqt78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Romeoville
Posts: 5,289
Location: Romeoville
Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment
           
Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
his tips are listed on www.footnetwork.com you have to find the show that it was mentioned on. Do you remember the name of the episode? Or the topic?

I don't ride, I cook!
Piercedqt78 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
his tips are listed on www.footnetwork.com you have to find the show that it was mentioned on. Do you remember the name of the episode? Or the topic?
refried?



Odysseys is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,696
Location: Illinois
Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.
           
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

fried part 2 when he makes fried chicken?



Now beside the fact that this is a logical progression, this system spits in the eye of cross-contamination. So what you say? Hey, you mess around with this stuff and you, too, will know the special joy that comes from counting your bathroom floor tiles for the third time ... in one seating. I mean it. Okay.
Now that the fat has melted, up the heat to medium high. Target temperature: 350. Now shortening starts to break down and get nasty at 370 so you want to keep an eye on it. But you don't want to leave the probe in here all the time or it will start to read the bottom of the pan which is not the same thing as reading the oil. Let's get the chicken.
taledarkside is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

fried part 2 when he makes fried chicken?



Now beside the fact that this is a logical progression, this system spits in the eye of cross-contamination. So what you say? Hey, you mess around with this stuff and you, too, will know the special joy that comes from counting your bathroom floor tiles for the third time ... in one seating. I mean it. Okay.
Now that the fat has melted, up the heat to medium high. Target temperature: 350. Now shortening starts to break down and get nasty at 370 so you want to keep an eye on it. But you don't want to leave the probe in here all the time or it will start to read the bottom of the pan which is not the same thing as reading the oil. Let's get the chicken.


yeah thats the one, i swear he used it that episode when he mainly deep fried something.



Odysseys is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA
 
Odysseys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Posts: 60,261
Location: balls deep in someones mom
Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
OMG soulmates. we watch the same thing.

he said the one with two different metals on the inside of the probe is the best and it being the smallest probe to prevent large holes.

you can watch some of his shows on youtube and theres a fan site where they have transcripts of every show.
you to kind. here since your being a help, let me offer something in return.

this is as close as you get to my skin suit.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (30.1 KB, 18 views)
Odysseys is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Armed law abiding citizen
 
Dave13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Middleburg, Florida
Posts: 19,055
Location: Middleburg, Florida
Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google
           
That pic is some Silence of the Lambs shit right tharr.

On a side note, mmmmm, fried chicken.....
Dave13 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered User
 
Pilotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elk Grove IL
Posts: 15,833
Location: Elk Grove IL
Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend
           
Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
ok hes refering to the difference in sensed temperature because the oil has a different emissivity value than will the metal pot or other surface.. that said the difference will be small, maybe 5 deg

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Pilotx1 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,696
Location: Illinois
Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
yeah thats the one, i swear he used it that episode when he mainly deep fried something.
I'm going to rewatch that episode, if its on youtube. I tried frying the chicken, but all the flower came off and it was really messy. I think he uses lard instead of veggy oil.


He had another chicken episode last night where he fries the chicken in a sauce then later cooks it in two bottles of wine. its some french receipe.
taledarkside is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,696
Location: Illinois
Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
ok hes refering to the difference in sensed temperature because the oil has a different emissivity value than will the metal pot or other surface.. that said the difference will be small, maybe 5 deg
WAT


PS. now i'm getting that duckhunt ad.
taledarkside is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
Pilotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elk Grove IL
Posts: 15,833
Location: Elk Grove IL
Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend
           
Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
emissivity is a measure of the reflectivity of a surface, depending on the surface finish of what you are trying to get the temp of. its basically how much infrared is emitted in relation to the surface finish

higher end units will allow the user to tune the value in the thermometer to get a more accurate reading, for non adjustable units a piece of non reflective tape put on the suraface will help give a more accurate reading

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Pilotx1 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Zydrate addict
 
Piercedqt78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Romeoville
Posts: 5,289
Location: Romeoville
Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment
           
Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
I'm going to rewatch that episode, if its on youtube. I tried frying the chicken, but all the flower came off and it was really messy. I think he uses lard instead of veggy oil.


He had another chicken episode last night where he fries the chicken in a sauce then later cooks it in two bottles of wine. its some french receipe.
Last night was Coq au vin, it can be quite good if done well.

If you want more info on frying chicken PM me. I was raised in the south and will gladly give you some tips to frying chicken.

I don't ride, I cook!
Piercedqt78 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome