Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Anyone know If I could pass tech..

2K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  5AXIS 
#1 ·
with a 7/8" piece wood rod as a clip on handle bar??

$3 instead of $20 for an aluminium Woodcraft bar.

#5 ·
You'd save more money and be safer using steel pipe from the plumbing department. Home depot has it and it's strong as hell. Just down the aisle from pvc piping.

But are you really hurting that bad for $20? Better safe than sorry. Besides... save $17, get there, fair tech, lose $100+.

#15 · (Edited)
OK, I was going to start in on the bashing...but Lignum Vitae was used in prop shafts bearings on Submarines. It's one of the strongest woods in the world.

The *major* problem I'd see (ignoring that your a tool for using wood handlebars), is that Lignum Vitae is a waxy, "self lubricating" wood. I used to carve it down into guitar picks back in the day. Bass players loved 'em because they were so slick and smooth over the strings. Literally naturally lubricating like wood impregnated with wax.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

Please keep in mind, I am in no way advocating the use of *wood*, no matter how good, as a part for a motorcycle.

#19 ·
wow, sorry for wanting to save some money. You nickle and dime yourself in this hobby, you go broke really fast.

Anyways 5axis hooked me up, with some AL tubing. So much cheaper than A Woodcraft clip-on replacement tube.

#30 ·
With all the comments, no one ever answered Noel's question.

The direct answer is "No, it would not pass Tech Inspection". Not with any organization that I know of.

I was gonna suggest that you get a hold of 5Axis as well. He cuts to length and you are all set to go. Cheap, SAFE, solution.

Now, back to the Duct Tape on Leathers and Fairings.

Duct Tape on Leathers that is used to hold on knee pucks passes tech. Duct tape covering a hole, may or may not pass Tech, depending on the amount of duct tape used and the size of the hole. If it is covering a significant rip, for example, it may well fail tech inspection.

Duct Tape use to hold fairings on actually works very well. Zip ties actually work far better. Both pass tech as long as the fairings seem to hold position when tugged on during the inspection.

(Just in case inquiring minds want to know)

#37 ·
Duct Tape on Leathers that is used to hold on knee pucks passes tech. Duct tape covering a hole, may or may not pass Tech, depending on the amount of duct tape used and the size of the hole. If it is covering a significant rip, for example, it may well fail tech inspection.
This brings up an intersting point. When does protective gear ever get 'Teched'? I rarely see anyone in their leathers while teching bikes in the morning, much less carrying them with for inspection. Is it more of a "CR sees something that looks wrong or insuffient and approachs/corrects/denies said gear"? Or am I missing something?

#32 ·
I have to be honest here...

If $17 for a clip-on is too expensive you may want to consider a different hobby.

By the time you add up track fees, tires, gas, towing, brakes, tires, leathers etc etc

Track riding gets expensive.

I understand you desire to save some bucks.... but cheaping out on safety
related items might get you ( or another rider ) seriously hurt.

You *have* to spend the money where it counts.

Ride safe

Tom

#33 ·
Geez you guys are rough! I don't even want to share what I do to keep costs down. Now that he saved that money, he can afford plenty of water to keep hydrated this weekend.

But seriously, it's just plain old aluminum tubing right?

#35 ·
Note to self:

Next time nflor001 goes through tech, do not line up behind him. He has put up the red flag, and now that the inspectors know what he is capable of, they will inspect his bike for 45 minutes, just to make sure he didnt use some kids wooden blocks as axle spacers.

:lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.