Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When in any gear at any RPM and I whack the throttle wide open I get lag that wasnt there previously. Like in 1st gear if i snap it open the front doesnt lift anymore, it hesitates slightyly then surges forward. Likewise at high RPMs it kinda surges and bucks and doesnt want to rev past 12500 or so.

I'm at about 8k miles. I do regular oil changes. The air filter was swapped at 7k miles, and the plugs were swapped at 7500 miles.

Do you think it could be the TPS or do I have larger issues? I plan to take it in for service but I wanted to have some ideas before going in.

Thanks,
Vcook

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Vcook said:
When in any gear at any RPM and I whack the throttle wide open I get lag that wasnt there previously. Like in 1st gear if i snap it open the front doesnt lift anymore, it hesitates slightyly then surges forward. Likewise at high RPMs it kinda surges and bucks and doesnt want to rev past 12500 or so.

I'm at about 8k miles. I do regular oil changes. The air filter was swapped at 7k miles, and the plugs were swapped at 7500 miles.

Do you think it could be the TPS or do I have larger issues? I plan to take it in for service but I wanted to have some ideas before going in.

Thanks,
Vcook
What milage do they call for a valve job on that bike???

·
Registered
916 Posts
Crazy might be onto something...

In the current issue of RRW Sam (of the Army of Darkness Endurance racing team) wrote a HUGE article on mechanical problems they've had with thier GSXR600's. I don't remember the exact details, but there was mention that the valve spring retainer clips (???) commonly fail after 1200miles of racing abuse. They had a photo of 4-5 gixxer heads that had been demolished as a result.

I'll dig the article up when I get home.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Vcook said:
15 or 16k, i forget which.

I take it this is happening after the bike is warmed up. Did you try running a tank of fuel injector cleaner through. Or how about a dirty fuel filter. Just to throw out some ideas. Also bad spark plug wires or they could be interferring with each other. I.E. laying on top of one another and arcing. The same can happen with coil wires. More thoughts.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was happening before I changed my plugs, and it continues to happen now. The rest of your suggestions frighten my weak little mind. Time to get it to a dealer and have them sort it out before my warantee is up in February.

And yes, these problems happen when the bike is warmed up fully.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Vcook said:
This was happening before I changed my plugs, and it continues to happen now. The rest of your suggestions frighten my weak little mind. Time to get it to a dealer and have them sort it out before my warantee is up in February.

And yes, these problems happen when the bike is warmed up fully.
OK let me know if I can help. Some of the stuff is easier to check than you think. Like the wires can be checked by running the motor in a dark room and simply observing for sparks flying off the wires.;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
when did the problem start I.E.

sometimes bikes and cars run funky when the gas company's change to there winter mix (it a long shot but it is possable)

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turbospeedIII said:
when did the problem start I.E.

sometimes bikes and cars run funky when the gas company's change to there winter mix (it a long shot but it is possable)
good thinking, but it started a good 800 miles ago. maybe a little more. You dont notice it too much unless you get on the gas hard or rev it to redline(try to). Top speed is limited to 140mph since it wont rev to redline anymore. Disturbing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
first thing i would do is take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
thats what warranty's are for.
wait till you are done rideing.

then go from there.
if it is something big (witch it dose not sound like)
you dont want them to see you have been messing with it dont .give them a reason to fuck with you

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Well, on the Busa there are individual coils on each plug so arching seems unlikely. Don't know about the 600.

If it's a fuel filter clog, I would expect a bog in the higher RPMs as the fuel flow cannot keep up.

If it's the air filter it could be sluggish when hitting the throttle and could smooth out even at higher RPMs if you are not accelerating heavily.

With very little to go on and the knowledge that Suzuki has had cam chain problems. I'm guessing a cam chain problem throwing off the cam timing. This would be consistent with the bucking at high RPMs.

Hard to say for sure without playing around a bit. Starving for fuel or air usually crop up under hard acceleration first then get worse over time and can be relatively ok at a steady throttle.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
BusaDave said:
Well, on the Busa there are individual coils on each plug so arching seems unlikely. Don't know about the 600.

Doesn't matter. If the wires meet at some point they can arc.

·
long distance
383 Posts
Broken valve springs WILL cause this type of problem, don't keep tyin to rev the motor thinkin that it will clear out, get it to the dealer, have them take a look, get it fixed before the snow flies, so you can test run before it sits all winter and and you still have a problem.:(

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
ddub said:
Broken valve springs WILL cause this type of problem, don't keep tyin to rev the motor thinkin that it will clear out, get it to the dealer, have them take a look, get it fixed before the snow flies, so you can test run before it sits all winter and and you still have a problem.:(
Sound like the best move^^^^^^

·
Registered
916 Posts
I dug up the RRW article.... Titled " Why I hate my Racebike- One mans lament regarding quality and durability on the racetrack"

the valvetrain problem he details is with the valve cotters etching the sides of the valves after 25hours of use or 600 racing miles... which leads to the tips of the valves breaking off and falling into the combustion chamber (CRUNCH!!!!). They also had problems with the cam chain tensioner cracking apart at 1500 race miles along with the oil pump/shift drum/shift forks showing unusual amounts of wear at the 1500mile teardown.... Not a pretty scenario:rolleyes they mention Yosh makes/sells aftermarket valve collets to eliminate the valve eating problem.

For you suzuki guys:
"All of this points to the conclusion that, although the GSX-R600 is a fast bike, perhaps the fastest bike, the build quality has fallen off the face of the earth compared to the bikes Suzuki was producing only three years ago. It makes for a bitter cup of coffee. And bitter coffee, we know, won't sell in the the long term."

Chris I sincerely hope your bikes problems are just something dumb and cheap to fix.... dirty air filter...clogged fuel filter....bad gas...ect. If not consider yourself lucky that it developed this problem while still under warranty.

·
Lovin this Twin
1,980 Posts
Chris........ dont freak out yet

Sounds like bad gas to me.............. Im sure you run good gas but Im sure like all of us theres that occasion when your forced to get shitty gas from a no name gas station............. Do yourself a favor and atleast pull the plugs back out and check them again. Its not unheard of to buy a bad plug or two.

Bad gas will fowl plugs out

Double check the gap too

Ive had to fix my neighbors gixxer twice this year, cuz he is a cheap ass and buys garbage gas

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish it were that simple Tom. I always buy 93 octane. The problem has been occuring for several hundred miles now. The problem was there before the air filter and plug change, and its still there now. Gotta schedule a time to take it in. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Got my new Ride......
959 Posts
the valvetrain problem he details is with the valve cotters etching the sides of the valves after 25hours of use or 600 racing miles... which leads to the tips of the valves breaking off and falling into the combustion chamber (CRUNCH!!!!). They also had problems with the cam chain tensioner cracking apart at 1500 race miles along with the oil pump/shift drum/shift forks showing unusual amounts of wear at the 1500mile teardown....
Is all this 'stuff' just for the 2002 GSXR600 - or does it affect the other size engines/years. I though I read someting about a shift drum problem with the 1000 ?. Really had my heart set on trying to buy a 2001 or 2002 GSXR750 next spring. Now I'm wondering if I should keep my Kawasaki untill it starts to give me trouble - its been pretty reliable (and pretty slow :laughing ) since I got it 2 years ago. I approaching 20,000 miles on it !!

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FOLLOW UP

Shop Diagnosis:

Damaged ECM-replacing under warrantee

Service manager made it sound like he was doing me a favor by not mentioning my PC III(which isnt hooked up) or my Undertail with libertek LEDs to Suzuki. He believes it was "shorted" out somehow. Anyone have any ideas on how the ECM could have been damaged, I dont think my mods could have done this. I hope to avoid this in the future, epsecially once its out of warrantee.

thanks,
Vcook

1 - 20 of 32 Posts