Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, someone stole my RED SILVER and BLACK GSXR last night. Practically off my own front porch at that. Bike was stolen in the vicinity of 3000 Block of Kenmore Ave, Chicago. It had a front disc lock and a black n silver bike cover. The stickers on the front fairing are coming off. The Yoshimura exhaust is mounted in the back by a brass band that I had temporarily put on. It's running the Xenon bulbs. I havent seen ANY other red silver n black GSXR's in the area.

I imagine that I will never see the bike again, so if anyone here has had a bike stolen before, I would like to ask a couple questions. I have State Farm insurance, and I just got done dumping about $900 into the bike. I have receipts for everything, but I dont have any idea whats going to happen with the insurance now. The title belongs to the bank, and I had like 20 months worth of payments before it was paid off. Am I pretty much screwed?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Good luck, Sean. I emailed my buddies that live on your street, they didn't notice anything out of the ordinary last night. Sorry man.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
MoTo178 said:
Am I pretty much screwed?
IMO it's going to depend on the agent and adjuster. I've heard of some people getting the mods covered but when it came down to it when mine was totalled I was SOL. Fortunately I was able to take the mods off and sell them on ebay.:D It also takes a while to get paid when they get stolen to. Good luck, Sean. Sorry to hear it.:(

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
You'll need your receipts, and they will try to hit you with depreciation, etc. There's a 30-day waiting period before they will pay out the claim (in case it "shows up" someplace), and you'll get whatever is in excess of the loan payoff.

Buy a BIG tube of K-Y, relax your knees and grab your ankles tight. Look for it on eBay.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Damn, that just sucks. I share your pain and sense of outrage.

You'll need your receipts, and they will try to hit you with depreciation, etc. There's a 30-day waiting period before they will pay out the claim (in case it is recovered), and you'll get whatever is in excess of the loan payoff.

Buy a BIG tube of K-Y, relax your knees and grab your ankles tight.

And in the coming weeks, look for parts of it on eBay.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Let's put another bike outside your house as bait, I'll sit up in a window with a sniper rifle.:D :evil I'll put one in the thieves kneecap and then we can keep putting tiny little paper cuts in the prick till he tells us how to find your bike:D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
stolen

sorry to hear of your misfortune. :(

i wouldn't say you're too screwed. you do have insurance after all. check out the NADA website and punch in your bike. you'll see 3 values low/mid/high retail price listings. state farm will probably give you the middle one. yes you may not like the "book" value and yes you may end up losing money with your added mods/bank interest/etc. but you will get a significant chunk back. report it to the police and insurance, sit back and wait. it just might be found (after about 50 criminals/kids joyride it to death and leave it on the side of the road OR it shows up in someone's garage painted pink with decals all over it).

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The problem with upgrades is that you normally don't tell the insurance company in order to keep your rates down. Some companies may or may not cover aftermarket parts. In general, if you tell them you want insurance on a 750 Whozits, they look up the value of that model to get your rate on the collision/comprehensive coverage. Odds are good you will only recover partial value of the bike.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
We had S.F. on my Gixxer, and ultimately they covered the accessories (took a little pushing on my part).

Crazy, if you bring the sniper rifle, I'll bring my little glass eyedropper and the battery acid.:evil

·
habitual line stepper
3,235 Posts
That really sucks! The insurance will probably try to get away with whatever they can. Nothing like adding insult to injury. Good luck!

·
Moderator,
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy said:
Let's put another bike outside your house as bait...
hehehe... Yeah, I thought of this too Brian. God, I am so pissed I didnt hear anything. I mean it was literally right outside my bedroom window, and they had to have picked it up because of the disc locks.

Chris I'm glad you got your shit out of there before they came. I garuntee they drove by and saw a pair of bikes and planned on coming back for both of them. Probably my neighbor's YZF too, I didn't see it out there this morning, but he leaves pretty early sometimes. Hopefully they left his alone since it was still in the gate. It figures... the second day I have to park the bike on the street the fockers take it. God, what I would do to them if I saw them right NOW.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
KBOlsen said:
We had S.F. on my Gixxer, and ultimately they covered the accessories (took a little pushing on my part).

Crazy, if you bring the sniper rifle, I'll bring my little glass eyedropper and the battery acid.:evil
:D :laughing :laughing "I love it when a plan comes together"

:laughing :laughing ;) ;)

·
3,613 Posts
Dude, that seriously sucks bad--sorry to hear about this. Your bike sounds kinda unique, so maybe someone will see it or something.. you never know, I guess. :(

About insurance, sounds like everyone else knows a bit more than me, but I'll agree that they're going to be looking to pay out as little as possible. I've heard that State Farm is better about covering accessories and, uh, crap like that though, so maybe you'll do okay.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Sorry to hear. good luck with the insurance thing.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
MoTo178 said:

hehehe... Yeah, I thought of this too Brian. God, I am so pissed I didnt hear anything. I mean it was literally right outside my bedroom window, and they had to have picked it up because of the disc locks.

Chris I'm glad you got your shit out of there before they came. I garuntee they drove by and saw a pair of bikes and planned on coming back for both of them. Probably my neighbor's YZF too, I didn't see it out there this morning, but he leaves pretty early sometimes. Hopefully they left his alone since it was still in the gate. It figures... the second day I have to park the bike on the street the fockers take it. God, what I would do to them if I saw them right NOW.
Sean,

Just a word of warning. When my car got stolen they actually found it the same day. You gotta hound the police cause they actually found mine the same day and didn't tell me for a week. Then they slapped me a $100 tow fee and $20 per day storage when I didn't know it was there. I told them I wouldn't pay and they said I won't let you in the gate to get the car back:mad :mad

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
WTF?!

That SUCKS man! You didn't even get to finish wearing out those tires! I felt like an ass for leaving early and going to the bar last night, but in hindsight I guess I could have felt worse...

I'll be letting the few riders down here know what to look for and we'll keep an eye out (you know how I like to ride the sketchy neighborhoods...so you never know).

What kind of a disc lock were you using? Any chance they picked it?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Underdog said:

What kind of a disc lock were you using? Any chance they picked it?

more trouble than its worth to pick the lock he had. I would guess the tossed the whole thing in the back of a pickup, dirty bastards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts