Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Henny Ray Abrams
Sneak Peek 11/5/2007

VALENCIA, SPAIN, NOV.5: The 2008 Honda RC212V will have pneumatic valves and a vastly different chassis and exhaust system. That was the word from Repsol Honda’s Nicky Hayden who first set eyes on the new machine this morning.

At the end of a session with journalists, Hayden was asked what he was led to expect about the new bike. “I’ve seen it this morning,” he said, adding that it looked nice. “Well, I mean, looks don’t tell you much. I’ve met a lot of good looking girls until you get to know them, when you get to find out.

“It actually looks like quite a nice piece. This one (the 2007) was quite a prototype when it came out. (The 2008) looks more finished. I wasn’t even looking at the fairing on it. I’m just talking about the chassis, the way it’s put together, the exhaust and stuff. It’s a lot more opened up. Exhaust back up the middle like last year’s bike and stuff.

“Pneumatic valves. We’ll see when we sit on it. It definitely looks pretty neat.

“The chassis looks a lot different. The swingarm looks a lot different. The exhaust system’s a lot different, looks a lot more normal, which should be better. Just looking around the pneumatic valves and hearing them talk about it. That’s going to be a lot different for the teams.

“They’ve got these pressure things. They’ve got to travel with the air in the engines. The engine in the bike, I know they had something they had to hook up. And I would assume that the ones in the crate would have to be the same.”

Hayden’s initial reaction to the 2007 bike was that it was too tight, that it was too small. It was clearly designed for his much smaller teammate Dani Pedrosa. Hayden won’t know how this one fits him until he begins testing Tuesday afternoon. Today and tomorrow morning are reserved for journalists to test all the 2007 race bikes.

“I didn’t get to sit on it, tank’s not on it. It’s certainly going to be interesting.”

Asked if the rev counter goes any higher, he said he didn’t see it, but I’ve heard it goes a little bit higher. Because our bike now doesn’t rev that high. It don’t really any higher than last year’s (990) or anything.

Hayden said he wasn’t at liberty to discuss the rev limits. When it was suggested that the journalists riding it would know, he smiled, “I’m sure theirs wasn’t revving as high as it was yesterday.”

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Buy a Duc

Reactions: jrock

·
Registered
326 Posts
these were going around on the compost mailing list. can someone explain to me the thought process behind the exhaust setup they've got?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
What do you need explained? Need two exhaust pipes, for weight and CG purpose balance the bike with one on the right to compensate for the chain and then one under tail to be on the centerline of the bike.

·
The Sausage king
3,003 Posts
I wonder if Pedrosa's bike was running pneumatic valves on Sunday? He was able to pass Stoner on the straight as he pulled out of the draft. That wouldn't have happened in the first race of the season.

I'm glad they got rid of the duck tail back section. The bike does look better and bigger in the seat area as Pedrosa's bike has a huge pad on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
::sheepishly:: didn't think about the chain weight. i thought it was CG stuff, but couldn't figure out what i was missing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Starting to remind me of the old 500's with the exhaust coming out at different places!

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
Ugh, the new 1000RR fairing style is so ugly on the RC :(

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hayden Frustrated

Keep in mind that HRC has not officially stated what motor platform they will be running. We may not get an official anouncement until after the 1st of the year. So this motor may not end up being used.

By Henny Ray Abrams
Not A Good Start 11/6/2007

Repsol Honda's Nicky Hayden had a frustrating first day tesing the 2008 Honda RC212V at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia, Spain. Engine problems limited power in fifth and sixth gears and the team wasn't able to find a fix. And, when he went out on his 2007 race bike, now with a 16.5-inch rear tire rather than the 16 inch he raced on, he went .9 of a second faster on only his third lap.

"My first impression was to try to be positive" Hayden said at the back of the Honda garage. "I was hoping all the bad luck was finished with yesterday. We picked right up where we ended yesterday."

He said that they "had a problem with the engine, so I only got to do two runs. And the first run it didn't feel right in fifth and sixth gear and one of the cylinders was losing a bit of pressure. So they thought maybe change the sensor and stuff, but when I went back out it still wasn't perfect.

"So I really did, I don't know, maybe seven laps each time or something. And did two runs. With the short day, by the time they change the engine there's not a lot to say.

"But my first impression was not bad at all. I mean the seating position was quite a lot different, the way the seat felt. But the actual riding position's about the same. And definitely there was some things I liked about it. The wheelie was a lot less. I don't know if that was because the engine wasn't running right or why. But definitely the pitch of the weight, front to rear, was a lot more controlled and not so aggressive on the brakes."

He continued, "I mean the feel and stuff didn't feel too bad. I mean I would have liked to got some more laps. sure traction and stuff feels good when the engine wasn't running right. But first impression was yeah, not bad."

Hayden said "the engine felt fine in the lower gears, but it was mainly fifth and sixth where it wasn't pulling. It felt like the transmission was way, way too long. It wasn't pulling and didn't feel right."

One problem with the 2007 machine was lack of edge grip. Partly it was the bike and partly it was the tires.

"I would say not so much actual edge grip was better, but when it did spin, this bike seemed to try to push forward and it didn't step sideways as much. Also, with the engine not running right, maybe could make think traction was better than it really was. I can't really say that that felt a lot better."

The power didn't feel much different, he said, "but you know the thing's still pretty new. We changed the transmission to compensate for the actual higher rpm's, but the speed around the corner and the gearbox rpm is all, they worked it all out so it's about the same. I can't say right now that punch was a lot different. But it is the first day."

The pneumatic valves sound "a little bit different. And also in the corners it sounds different, because it's not the pipes… compared to the bike when I first rode it. But the bike I raced, as the season went on we got rid of those little exhausts out the side which actually should help a lot because those pipes caused a lot of extra heat in the engine and caused things to run hot and different problems. Hopefully now with the pipes back opened up it'll make it a lot easier."

The swingarm is clearly different, with the bracing underneath rather than on top. The suspension is the same, Hayden said, "but, edge grip felt quite similar but it seem when it would break loose to keep trying to push and keep trying to drive, so that I liked."

When the day started he went out on his 2007 machine "just to check the track, to get a base. And Michelin wanted me to use a 16.5 rear. Compared to that same rubber, construction, everything I used on the race weekend, I went nine-tenths faster than I'd went all weekend like my third lap. 16.5 today. And I wanted to puke. It was really, I mean… demoralizing. It was definitely, it was tough."

The lap of 1:33.176 was Hayden's best on the day and the second best of all the MotoGP riders. All but a few riders were here - the Tech 3 Yamaha team was missing, as was Valentino Rossi - and Marlboro Ducati's Casey Stoner was fastest at 1:32.348

When Hayden switched bikes, his best lap time was only 1:33.848 at the end of his second run and most of his laps were in the 34s, 35s, and 36s.

He was limited to a total of about 20 laps at speed because he has only one bike, though more than one engine. The test concludes tomorrow, when there's plenty more to test.

"One bike, but we've got some more engines," he said. "Even though they say the bike, they say it's not too bad to work on. Right now there's a few extra wires and a few things. Until they do a few engine swaps, it takes quite a while."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts