1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
I would bite, but my 4th gen IPOD is still running strong, and I just bought a $10 tuner and remote that makes it almost the Zune :laughing. I may bite on the next gen Zune.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I happen to like the translucent brown with a hint of green coloring...it's what caught my eye when I saw this at Tiger Direct.

I'm a bit dissapointed that I can't update/sync over WiFi though. It seems the Wifi is simply for sharing with other Zune users...a neat concept, but needs to be opened up more.

I don't have any players at all right now, so this might hold me over till the technology gets where I want it to be....soon I'm sure.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
It seems the Wifi is simply for sharing with other Zune users...a neat concept, but needs to be opened up more.
FYI, i was told it takes 3 days for files to be transferred.:laughing: I've never met anyone else that has one so i've no clue.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
I ordered one from Buy.com for $99 including shipping. #1 son and #2 son both have 50gig Zunes. The nice part is Zune now offers unlimited music uploads at $15 a month. In 2 days #1 son added close to 300 albums (35 gigs) to his db for $15. By the time the smoke clears he will add everything he has any interest in, in 1 month and plans on canceling the subscription until he wants more. I figured for $115 I can get a ton of music to go. It made it worth the price.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered one from Buy.com for $99 including shipping. #1 son and #2 son both have 50gig Zunes. The nice part is Zune now offers unlimited music uploads at $15 a month. In 2 days #1 son added close to 300 albums (35 gigs) to his db for $15. By the time the smoke clears he will add everything he has any interest in, in 1 month and plans on canceling the subscription until he wants more. I figured for $115 I can get a ton of music to go. It made it worth the price.
How do you like the unit overall? Easy to use? Upload time reasonable? What about videos?

I'm happy to *not* support the iPod. I have 180GB of MP3s on my server already, I just want to make some of it portable for when I'm riding or working out. For $100, I'd say it's worth it!

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
what? the offere unlimited DRM free downloads? That seems odd, are you sure they'll still work after the subscription is out?

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
Do you have a link on this $10 tuner/remote you speak of?
http://cgi.ebay.com/FM-Radio-Remote...Z005QQcategoryZ122516QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Here it is, a little ebay store sells it. I just tested it last weekend on the group ride. You can switch it to FM radio or the Ipod music. I just make a huge playlist that has all my Ipod songs, and either set it to random, and click the next arrow to find something I like, or you can click away in alphabetical order to find what you like. Still better than trying to pull the Ipod out and using the wheel to go to the next song, or pause the music when someone wants to talk to you :laughing.

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
what? the offere unlimited DRM free downloads? That seems odd, are you sure they'll still work after the subscription is out?

I am sure it has DRM, probably after thirty days that music will be no good unless he resubscribes.

·
Ciao Marco
3,803 Posts
I was going to bite on this as well . Costco had them for $99 as well but were out when the wife went last wknd. Amazon has taken forever when I order from them. Almost squeezed the trigger on the ipod touch but I'm going to wait to see the new Zune.

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
From the horses' mouth speaks the truth, this is from Zune.net. As expected Vcook, once your subsription is done, those sonds are dead, they get a DRM kill command :lmao:

Here are three ways to get your Zune Pass:

Monthly Zune Pass

Get your tunes month-to-month with a monthly Zune Pass. For only $14.99 a month, plus applicable taxes, you can explore and download as many songs as you like from Zune Marketplace. Your subscription will automatically renew itself at the end of each month.

Three-Month Zune Pass

Want to get ahead of the game and simplify your life? Go with the three month Zune Pass. For $44.97 every three months, browse Zune Marketplace and download all the songs you want. Your subscription will automatically renew itself for another three months at the end of each three month period.

The songs you download on your Zune Pass are yours for as long as you hold your Zune Pass subscription. You can still purchase songs or albums individually, too.

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Raven: Heck if I know. It's my boys. They live at the X's. I've used their Zunes when they are over and they seem fine and easy to use. Pretty intuitive. I don't think they upload differently than I-pods. They seem happy with the software.

Chris: #1 son can be quite the geek. I asked him the same question. He thinks the offer will stand for a while to grab market share away from Apple. Even if it is only for a few months, it rocks. The down side is they are locked, but once it's on your hd it is yours. You can only use them on a Zune.

·
Mile Muncher
1,023 Posts
I have the ZUNE/the Halo version; I know geek! It's pretty easy to use with music, videos, and pictures. I just wish they had more accessories; I need an external speaker docking station.

I don't have the subscription yet but it looks like a pretty good deal. I'd buy it for $89 or even $99.00; better deal than what I paid $187. It's pretty durable too; I have internal speakers in my helmet and it sits in my tank bag without any problems. It’s been on two road trips with me so far and their nothing like listen to music on the road. :jammin:

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
How do you like the unit overall? Easy to use? Upload time reasonable? What about videos?
It's great.

Very.

Quick (music wise).

Vids - took some time, then again, i put about 5 movies at once.

FYI, the 'real' way to turn the Zune off is to press the back arrow + one of the center/nav buttons. At first i was told to hold the play button down but it puts it in a hibernation mode which lets the battery trickle down = dead when you use it the next time. Thanks to Mike900ss for the tip. Lastly, don't get the FM tuner for the cage cause it is the suck.

·
Fear is the mind killer
8,770 Posts
Lastly, don't get the FM tuner for the cage cause it is the suck.

All of the tuners will be crappy like that, damn FCC regulations. Otherwise, when you ride your bike, you would be broadcasting the EndlessRR radio station :lmao: . Everyone in the area would be forced to listen to what you
were listening too.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's great.

Very.

Quick (music wise).

Vids - took some time, then again, i put about 5 movies at once.

FYI, the 'real' way to turn the Zune off is to press the back arrow + one of the center/nav buttons. At first i was told to hold the play button down but it puts it in a hibernation mode which lets the battery trickle down = dead when you use it the next time. Thanks to Mike900ss for the tip. Lastly, don't get the FM tuner for the cage cause it is the suck.
Thanks for the info.

New Egg has them in stock at $99, where Amazon is a week away at $89
Tiger Direct is sold out, otherwise I would have snagged it there today on my way home.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Everyone in the area would be forced to listen to what you
were listening too.
What's wrong with a little RATM, RHCP, and Foo Fighters?:laughing: Wish i woulda done more research prior to purchasing it, cause i coulda got something that plugs onto the CD changer, which can be controlled via the steering wheel buttons, with better sound quality.:nutkick:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts