Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The Violator
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter just around the corner, now's the time to get a game plan in place.

Some of you have been on one or more of these great trips in the past but this year is going to be a little different. We've had some mediocre luck with snow in Eagle River the last few winters so we're headed to the UP and an area that averages over 200" of snowfall per season.

This year's trip is going to be the 2nd weekend of February including the 7th through the 10th on Lake Gogebic in Bergland, MI. Many of us will be there the whole time but there are always a few who make it for just the weekend.

I'm still on the fence about lodging & am looking for some feedback here. In this area there really are no traditional "hotels". Most everything is resort based with cabins or rooms of various sizes. Would people prefer smaller cabins with 3 or less people per room or larger ones which can hold as many as 8 or 10?

For those renting there are some options here but things are similar to what we've seen in Eagle River.

Timberline Sports (Ski-Doo & Artic Cat)

Lake Gogebic Sports Center

Both have decent rates but the 1st dealer has more options. The owner is also one of the good guys and does what he can to help. The 1st option also has some apparel available for those who need it.

My suggestion to those who want to go: Book rentals & rooms early. In this area things book pretty far in advance when conditions are good. I'd like to get rooms booked within the next week or two if we can.

This trip is always a great time & this year should be no exception :thumbsup Post up if you're coming.

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
I'm in!!! I wouldn't mind sharing a cabin, but I'll look into some hotel rooms also.

·
King Nothing, , ,
17,944 Posts
..............hmmmmmm..........:laughing:

·
The Victim Newbie
7,384 Posts
in,

the whole gang is in as well.

Richie, Harry, Jack, Steve, myself, Tim.

·
PPF Installer
1,286 Posts
damn I would love to do this, but the money might not be right for me this year as it stands my last day of active duty Navy is 31 Jan and this is the last week before I start orrientation at UTI, classes start Feb 18 and orientation is Feb 11th.

Now everyone laugh as I just did the classic CLSB response to this outing.

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
I called to rent a sled at at Timbermans, and they were all booked except for one SkiDoo 550 Fan, which I rented. I'm waiting to hear back from Lake Gogebic Sports Center.

·
The Violator
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The UP is getting hit already. This is just up the trail from where we'll be.

Edit: I just spoke with Marlin (owner at Timberline Sports). He is getting booked already but does still appear to have 7 Ski-Doo GSX550's left for the weekend in question. He also has a few 2-up sleds in case anybody plans on riding bitch ;)

I also just spoke with Mike & have been coordinating with Chris. We plan to stay at the Walleye lodge for a few reasons. They do have both smaller rooms and larger ones. This is right on Lake Gogebic and is very close to both rental dealers. Lodging here is pretty affordable, ranging from $15/person/night for the bunkhouses up to $40 per head for the smaller rooms.

Walleye Lodge

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
Troy,

I booked a room for us at the Walleye. The smallest ones they had left were the ones with kitchenettes, so that's what we got for only $80 a night. There were larger ones available also.

·
The Violator
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Pray for snow.
I always do ;)

At Eagle River we kind of needed a little luck to have good conditions but in the UP things are generally pretty good from mid/late December all the way through late March & early April.

Cool Mike! Thanks man!! That's crazy how things have booked. Just yesterday they had at least half a dozen different options including the bigger stuff. Hopefully the stuff that's booked since then is this group.

Edit: If you are interested in sharing larger rooms you might want to post up. Their rates on the bigger rooms are based on head count. The nice thing about this is someone can book a room that holds 8 or 10 and not be on the hook for a large amount if less people wind up using it.

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
Troy,

They do have larger rooms available too. I've edited my post above with the right info.

For those of you on the fence about this, trust me it is always a great time.

·
The Violator
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are gonna LOVE the UP trails :bannana:

Oh & BTW, Hurley is well within reach of Bergland. About 30 or 40 miles by trail & only about 20 in a car.

·
VTwin FTW!
5,564 Posts
I now have 2 sleds booked. The 550 Fan from Timberline and a Polaris 600 Shift IQ from Lake Gogebic Sport Center.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
If I go with, who is going to bail me out of jail? Someone needs to be trusted enough to hold onto the bail money and not spend it on beer

1 - 20 of 49 Posts