Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bike up from Mao a few months ago. He bought it and rode it around for a while before it lost compression on one cylinder. He removed the engine and stopped there. After a few months of hounding him, he finally gave up on it and sold it to me.

I will be doing a full teardown and rebuild of the whole bike, starting with the engine. Work will begin on the chassis once the engine is complete.

The day I brought it home (actually stashed it at my work until I could make room in my garage). It still looks like this now, except sandwiched between some other bikes in my garage:

I began to disassemble the top end to see why it had no compression.

This is what I found:

I think I figured out the compression issue :laughing: . Mao actually rode it home like this on the one good cylinder. It chewed up the piston but didn't even touch the cylinder walls:

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
I always wanted one of those older Hondas. I hope you got a good deal from the CamboJew. I'd like to ride that thing around for a day when you're done with it in a few years :laughing

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The cam and rockers were all pitted (common issue on these bikes) so I bought a couple complete heads on eBay, only to find that they had pitted cams and rockers as well. At least I have two "good" head cores now. I finally found a good used cam and rocker arms so I am proceeding with the top end now. I ordered a set of valves and a complete gasket kit from Sirius Consolidated.

Today I took the valves out of the two good heads to clean them up and send them to the machine shop. I will let the machinist pick whichever he thinks is the better of the pair.

Homemade valve spring compressor:

Also took apart the best looking cam housing that I had to be sure the cam bearing surfaces were good. While I had it apart I polished the tach drive housing, points housing, and valve clearance check plugs. Before and after:

Temporarily reassembled the cam housing to keep the good cam and rockers together in one place until I get the bottom end done and assemble the whole engine. These 350 twins used two different style cams and rockers. I am running the early style because that was the only good set of cam and rockers I could find:

The heads are going out the machine shop next week for a valve job. I hope to start tearing into the bottom end this weekend if I have time. I need to clear off a shelving unit in the garage for this project so everything can stay organized while it's apart.

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always wanted one of those older Hondas. I hope you got a good deal from the CamboJew. I'd like to ride that thing around for a day when you're done with it in a few years :laughing
It should be done by spring. Other than pistons, I have all the parts to complete the engine unless something is broken in the bottom end or transmission. The chassis doesn't need much, other than a fork rebuild, new shocks, steering head bearings and cleaning and painting.

I hope to have it road worthy by the AHRMA weekend next June (not to race it, just to use it for transportation around the pits).

·
Infectious Human Waste
5,496 Posts
I hope you got a good deal from the CamboJew.
i just heard $250 and a hj from ryans mom sounds like a good deal all around.

·
Eat a bag o' dix!
8,018 Posts
That piston is fukd up :laughing:

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the rest of the engine apart last night. So far everything in the bottom end and transmission looks good. I still need to thoroughly inspect everything but so far so good...

Started with this:

Ended up with this:

I had to make a socket to get the oil filter housing off. It worked perfect:

I ran out of time last night so I still have to take the crank and all the transmission parts out of the case halves for a close inspection. I will probably do that tonight so I can bring all the parts to work tomorrow for a good cleaning and get some paint on the cases. As long as I don't find any problems, the bottom end should be back together next week.

The cylinders are going out to Micron Engine (ceptor on here) in the next few days for boring and honing. I did find some scoring on the cylinder walls so it is going to need to be bored and use oversized pistons.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Hey Ryan you still using those stands? If not maybe I will come by tonight and check out the project.

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I'm done with the stands. I have them at home. I will probably be home around 7 if you want to stop by. I will probably be out in the garage tomorrow night too.

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some parts in the mail this week. Cam chain, cam chain slider, and these:

Mikuni VM30's. I don't want to run an airbox and these will work much better with cone filters than the stock CV carbs would.

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plus those filters just look bad ass.:cool
I agree. I wanted to eliminate the airbox and all the crap that sits behind the stock side covers so I can have that triangle area of the frame open, which coincidentally, also looks bad ass. It will be kick start only so I can ditch the stock battery that would also normally reside in that area and use a smaller battery under the tail.

I need to talk to Gus about making me a plug for the hole where the starter goes too.

5,620 Posts
I'm there for ya bro.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
I wouldn't give Nick half a case man. That sonofabitch has no will power there:drunk

·
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me, Nick, and Jack are staying in a hotel in Rockford tonight. I suspect there will be a case or 2 consumed.

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
Jeebus. You three clowns will fit right in over there in Rockford:laughing

Say hey to the pump hand inn while you're there!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts