Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may already know, a friend of mine picked up the 95 ZX 7 from Carlos (BusaFreak).

I hate to say it, but we've been having problems with is since day 2. day 1 was the day we picked it up....i rode it around, no problems.
Day 2 brought us starting problems and eventually the battery just died out. We went out and put a new battery in it.
after putting the new battery in, it was starting up and running. however, it started giving us the problem that when we would hit the button to turn it on, nothing would happen. no turnover, etc. it would just produce a little clicking noise. after letting it sit for sometime, it would be able to turn on.
now, it just won't do anything. the battery is fine and it is holding charge. I checked it with one of those volt meter things. but, it won't start. everytime we hit the button, it just makes a clicking noise.
oh, one more thing.....i went to DGY and talked to them about it. they told me to stick a screw driver in between the two stems on the starter solonoid, and that if it turned on, that would mean the starter solonoid is bad. so i went ahead and did that, and sure enough, it did start up.
i went back to DGY, purchased the starter solonoid, went home, put it in, and its still doing the exact same thing.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would still suspect a bad battery, as voltage will not tell you if it has enough amperage to turn over a starter....take the battery to an auto zone, and they should be able to test it for you....how is the water/acid level ?

I bought one from there for 30$ + 6$ core charge...good deal, me thinks...

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
ugh electrical problems isnt easy thats for sure.

sounds like some small little sucker causeing problems....(fuses?)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just want to make sure that i didn't confuse what you said there.....
the battery only cost you $36???????????

i called DGY....they wanted like $80. We ended up getting it from Sears for $78

perhaps i'll take it to Auto Zone....there is one close to my house.
thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
GautamCity said:
just want to make sure that i didn't confuse what you said there.....
the battery only cost you $36???????????

i called DGY....they wanted like $80. We ended up getting it from Sears for $78

perhaps i'll take it to Auto Zone....there is one close to my house.
thanks!
I know....it is a assemble it yourself wet type....where you fill the acid in the battery yourself.....like a little kit so they can ship these safely.....it was 36$, but you get 6 $ back when you give them your old battery:D

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Y2KR1 said:

I know....it is a assemble it yourself wet type....where you fill the acid in the battery yourself.....like a little kit so they can ship these safely.....it was 36$, but you get 6 $ back when you give them your old battery:D
the battery from sears was an assemble it yourself wet type also. man do i feel like he got ripped off!

What did you buy with the $2 you saved?
well, sears is closer to my house than DGY is, so really i saved more than $2 (gas):D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
It sounds to me you may have a stator problem or a problem with the voltage regulator. Sometimes a bad battery can burn these things up. Believe me I know.

These things are unforseen so don't blame Carlos.

You should have got the battery form Interstate. You probably would have gotton a better battery for around $35!!!!!:D

Good luck

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think the battery $$ vary on where you get them.....I bought a new one for the 900RR for 75$ or so....:mad from batteries +...last time I go there.....now I know better.....:D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Michael said:
:eek:t speaking of carlos, where has he been?
He's got no bike right now so he's ignoring us.:rolleyes

If that's possible:nono

:eek:t :eek:t :eek:t

·
I can make my bike lean!
356 Posts
Wow, that bike sure is getting around! (I had that bike too)

Lets see, you shorted the starter solenoid across the terminals effectively bypassing it's function, the starter motor is good, but you didnt test the solenoid, you need to check if there is voltage applied to the terminal that energizes the coil in the solenoid that creates the magnetic field that moves the contactors which supplies current to the starter motor when the start button is pressed. If there is no voltage there...the bike's fuse/relay box is not letting current flow to it because of:

on/off switch is in 'off' mode, or the connector of this switch is not connected properly to the main wiring harness.

Sidestand switch is not connected, or thinks that the sidestand is down.

Gear position wire going into the tranny is not connected, or the bike is in gear.

Clutch lever position switch is not connected/working properly.

Last but not least, the fuse/relay box could be fried, but I doubt it, check all the wiring connections to make sure everything is as it should be. Clicking noise is good, something is telling the fuse/relay box that it isnt safe to let the bike start. Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I went through this once with my old 68 camaro. I went through 5 starters and none of them would work. Had the battery tested again and it said it was fine. Finnally I said what the hell and threw in another brand new battery and the bitch fired right up. Sometimes battery's are just bad and cant handle the load applied to it. even though its showing the correct voltage. Try battery out of a known good bike before you go switching starters out again. than at least you know where the issue is.

·
4,985 Posts
Simple translation of what YZFRabbit said: Check for power at the little wire on the solenoid when you hit the start button (there's probably 2 thick wires and one thin one, you need to check the thin one).

-Ryan

·
I can make my bike lean!
356 Posts
97Fizzer600 said:
Simple translation of what YZFRabbit said: Check for power at the little wire on the solenoid when you hit the start button (there's probably 2 thick wires and one thin one, you need to check the thin one).

-Ryan
:thumbsup

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
YZFRabbit said:

:thumbsup
He said he is getting the clicking sound though guys. If that solenoid was bad or one of the shut off switches were bad he wouldn't even be getting the clicking/buzzing sound. I'm sticking to my guns and saying it's a bad voltage reg or fried wires going into the voltage reg terminal. Take the plug off of it and check if it's all fried out. I've seen this happen alot on older bikes

·
I can make my bike lean!
356 Posts
Crazy said:

He said he is getting the clicking sound though guys. If that solenoid was bad or one of the shut off switches were bad he wouldn't even be getting the clicking/buzzing sound. I'm sticking to my guns and saying it's a bad voltage reg or fried wires going into the voltage reg terminal. Take the plug off of it and check if it's all fried out. I've seen this happen alot on older bikes
That bike makes all sorts of clicking sounds....fuel pump relay, etc.

So whats the word...anyone check to see if there is voltage at the coil side of the solenoid yet with the start button pressed?

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
I still think the Flux capaciter is mis-aligned with the canioter valve. :D :D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
:laughing :laughing maybe it's just low on beer:cheers

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GsxrTony said:
thats what my first guess was!!!!!!!!!!

i was at shedd aquarium last night for a private party so i didn't have time to check it out last nite. i will do so tonite.
i have already changed the starter solonoid and the battery.

if i pull the battery out of my superhawk and put it in the zx7.....can any damage be done to my battery?

These things are unforseen so don't blame Carlos.

I am in no way blaming Carlos. I just mentioned his name so everyone would know what bike i was talking about. He was straight up with me and let me know the known problems of the bike (throttle cable sticks, speedo doesn't work, odometer doesn't work). Also, being that he is someone off the board, I trust him completely. So once again, I am not upset or blaming Carlos at all.
Actually, YZFRabbit, thanks for reminding me that you had that bike before too. Carlos had mentioned that he had bought the bike from you and that you still had the passenger pegs, original cluster, etc. Is it possible i could get those from you at some point?

And thanks again for all your help guys....I'll let you guys know what happens. If we can't get it going ourselves tonite, i was told to take it toChicago Performance on North Ave.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts