Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone was looking for a cheap HD player.

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret
The Toshiba A2 (which will be replaced with the A3) is being sold for $98 starting tomorrow (11/2) at Walmart along with 5 free movies (I think those are included via rebate). And they have a few HD DVD movies for $15 each.

I hear Best Buy has the same deal for $99 on the same players and give you 2 movies in store free then 5 via mail in rebate.

Reactions: Vcook

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but do HD-DVD players play regular DVD's?

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may be a stupid question, but do HD-DVD players play regular DVD's?
Yes, they upconvert as well. So your regular DVD should look better on an HD DVD player than just playing in a standard player which doesn't.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
That is amazing!!! I may buy one today just to make sure I get one. Then pricematch tomorrow.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on this when it was $230. I'm definetly getting this.

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Yes, they upconvert as well. So your regular DVD should look better on an HD DVD player than just playing in a standard player which doesn't.
Awesome. $98 too? That's amazing, I think I might pick one up.

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
Have you checked to see if any are in stock anywhere. sounds like one of those things that won't be in stock.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
Something to consider, unless you're running 1080P, you'll get just as good of a picture out of an upconvert DVD player and regular DVDs. That is, if you have a 1080i or 720P television, you will see no difference with HD DVDs or BluRay.

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
Interesting. I been looking at a Denon for the last week for a little more money.

Might have to pick this up instead.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Something to consider, unless you're running 1080P, you'll get just as good of a picture out of an upconvert DVD player and regular DVDs. That is, if you have a 1080i or 720P television, you will see no difference with HD DVDs or BluRay.
not true.

·
Banned
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't follow. Do you mean that the picture will look the same between a regular player and the upconvert player on my 1080i or that a standard DVD will look the same as a BR or HD DVD disc on my tv? Because unless I'm totally missing something both of those statements are incorrect.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
he's confused.

edit: and this is a killer deal I might have to snag. good replacement for my old turd dvd player.

·
stuck in 6th gear,
7,631 Posts
???
Normal DVD is 720×480 resolution of data
HD-DVD and BD is 1920x1080

there's more data therefore you should see a better pic on your 1080i OR 1080p h/w

·
I miss mopar
8,247 Posts
he's confused.

edit: and this is a killer deal I might have to snag. good replacement for my old turd dvd player.
Your old turd dvd player??? I'm using an old xbox as my dvd player right now.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Your old turd dvd player??? I'm using an old xbox as my dvd player right now.
those are too loud. I prefer stand alone players to game systems as players. Mostly personal preference, but the fans in game consoles are annoying too. My current player is a panny 5 disk hunk of crap.

·
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
11,409 Posts
What I was trying to say is that an upconvert DVD player running regular DVDs will put out as good of a picture as a 1080i or 720p television can handle. Because of this, getting a HD DVD player or a BluRay player is overkill and you won't notice a difference (between an upconvert with Normal DVDs and HD DV/BluRAY) unless you're running a 1080p player.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this

·
1 piece at a time
6,316 Posts
those are too loud. I prefer stand alone players to game systems as players. Mostly personal preference, but the fans in game consoles are annoying too. My current player is a panny 5 disk hunk of crap.
yeah, i have to use my 360 for dvds..loud! that and I dont want to waste the life of it on movies rather than gaming

1 - 20 of 176 Posts