Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fast Old Fart on a Bike
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all think it won't happen to us, but most of us practice the ATGATT attitude of planning for the worse and hoping for the best.

I just signed up for this, at $50 a year it could save well over $10,000 in bills if necessary. Covers most of our riding areas. Especially the track day riders. Who hasn't seen someone air lifted out of a track? Don't leave yourself or your family holding the proverabe bag.

Just sayin...

The following is the contact info:
Air Evac Lifeteam (Rural areas and original member based program)
1 (800) 793-0010
Air Evac Lifeteam

Med-Trans (Includes UT Lifestar)
1 (866) 751-4515
Med-Trans

Eagle Med
1 (800) 764-3343
Eagle Med - When life's on the line, we're in the air. (Kansas and Oklahoma)

Membership through any one of these is honored by the other companies

The coverage area is most of the southern and mid-eastern states from TX to TN and GA to IL. Check them out before you need to.

·
Fast Old Fart on a Bike
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
who is to say this is who will be sending the helicopter when you need it? do they pay if its someone else?
With the total coverage they have, odds are very good that it would be one of these firms anyhow, but you get a membership card to put into your ICE (In Case of Emergency) wallet, and decals for your bike and maybe helmet.

Look, I just put it out there, you either take advantage of it or not. You spend more than that on a good pair of gloves.

Just make sure your riding partners know you have this as well, and they would look out for you.

They have six choppers in the Deals Gap vicinity, and their partners include UT.

Look at all three copmanies coverage maps and make your own decision.

This is not a debate, but a public service. (FWIW)

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,521 Posts
We all think it won't happen to us, but most of us practice the ATGATT attitude of planning for the worse and hoping for the best.

I just signed up for this, at $50 a year it could save well over $10,000 in bills if necessary. Covers most of our riding areas. Especially the track day riders. Who hasn't seen someone air lifted out of a track? Don't leave yourself or your family holding the proverabe bag.

Just sayin...

The following is the contact info:
Air Evac Lifeteam (Rural areas and original member based program)
1 (800) 793-0010
Air Evac Lifeteam

Med-Trans (Includes UT Lifestar)
1 (866) 751-4515
Med-Trans

Eagle Med
1 (800) 764-3343
Eagle Med - When life's on the line, we're in the air. (Kansas and Oklahoma)

Membership through any one of these is honored by the other companies

The coverage area is most of the southern and mid-eastern states from TX to TN and GA to IL. Check them out before you need to.
Great Post Bro - I think about this a lot and you are dead balls on - $50 will save you more like $25K when all said and done - Not like you even have a choice if you are unable to say "No" when they strap you in

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
Well its a good thing state farm covers the air fare if I crash and if its needed

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,521 Posts
Well its a good thing state farm covers the air fare if I crash and if its needed
I would be surprised if air lifted from a track, you were covered by any standard insurance company

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
I would be surprised if air lifted from a track, you were covered by any standard insurance company
From the track no that is why I have health insurance :neener:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Some health insurance doesn't cover racing.
2000 was almost 13 years ago...in terms of how insurance is administrated that's ancient history...
And as time moves forward more companies and policies are excluding coverage for racing AND riding. Whether your coverage is paid by you or especially if it's provided by your employer, review the policy carefully because this is becoming a BIG problem.
It may not say "racing " or even "contests of speed" It may simply exclude "risky activity" and they get to define what that is.
If you aren't sure take your policy to someone you trust to give you good advice...I don't recommend just calling the company or administrator...it gives them the opportunity to red flag you!
The AMA is monitoring this and is very concerned how the new health law will treat motorcycling. The AMA is currently working on strategies to end this type of discrimination against motorcyclists and racers.

Speaking of the AMA and also getting back on topic, AMA members can join MASA (Medical Air Services Association) and as an AMA benefit have the $60 initiation fee waived by entering their AMA number when signing up at www.MASAAmerica.com .

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Well racing put me in the hospital 3 years ago and bcbs paid for that also. So I don't think ur post holds much water with my coverage. Even though it wasn't 100k they still paid for it no questions asked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,268 Posts
U have bcbs and yeppers no questions asked

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
My post was not a challenge to you. It's good to know that the BCBS coverage you have does not discriminate against racers and riders. Not everyone is as fortunate to have that kind of coverage and many are not aware that companies are excluding coverage for motorcycling and racing on a continuing basis. They don't tell you when they change your policy at renewal. It's UP TO YOU to read and understand the policy. My point is MAKE SURE you have (and continue to have) coverage BEFORE you need it! The absolutely worst place to find out that you're not covered is laying in a hospital while the bills are mounting and you have no insurance OR income to pay them because you're laid up!

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
It must be some shitty insurance then. BCBS covered my 100K medical bill from racing back in 2000. No questions asked.

I am not sure but I doubt it that my BCBS or my State Farm would cover the life flight. I guess I should ask.
my insurance thru work is administered by BCBS and excludes racing
I purchased my own policy and pay out of pocket to make sure im covered

like OTB said you need to read your policy regardless of who it is through

·
Fast Old Fart on a Bike
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know guys, this isn't a freaking debate, nor is it likely that everyone has the finest health insurance in the world. Some individuals work for smaller companies that do not enjoy the cost savings benefits of much larger companies, and some are stuck with high deductables.

If you don't feel you need it, fine, but this is potentially beneficial to many riders who have not thought about it.

You think this is beneficial, fine, you don't, i"m happy for you.

Personally, I have heard first hand about bills in excess of $15,000 that were not covered that I think it is a steal. I piss away way more than $50 a year on things I don't need, so I think it is worthwhile.

So there...

·
Go big or go home!!
1,002 Posts
This is a really good discussion. Thanks to the OP for pointing this out (rep sent). This is certainly something I never would have thought of.

With that I asked our HR person to research the limitations on our BCBS health insurance. Here is their response:

"There is no exclusion for his hobbies/ motor racing on a legal, closed circuit, scheduled event so he would be covered as long as he is still on the plan and employed.
If it is an illegal race then he may be liable.
Only ground transportation is covered on the plan (after deductible and only a portion of it usually around 70% ) so airlift would be excluded."

Thanks again for bringing up this topic. I will be getting the air evac insurance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.