Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm looking for a dirt cheap air rifle. I will pay max 50% of new price but I don't want vintage.

Gamo whisper or silence version is what I'm gaming for but I'll bite on one that is > 700 fps, single pump, scoped, silenced and under $150.

I found some on Gunbroker but now my real question is FFLs and if I need to use one in IL, specifically DuPage County.

I know that the .177 cals they stock at Dick's require the 24 hr waiting period. I'm cool with that. I'm also cool with an FFL, in fact it might be better to have it shipped to these people and have me pick it up instead of having it sitting on my front porch all day.

Hot damn, Amazon has them for $148 Prime. I might do that.
http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Silent-Cat-Air-Rifle/dp/B0024XEXQS

I basically just want to do this legally and know if I need to pay an FFL for something that's 1000-1200 fps in .177.

I've been reading Gunbroker and Craigslist and occasionally I find one that's priced right but for the most part the prices I've seen on 5+ year old rifles is nearly the same as new. The people selling them must be grown adults who received them for Christmas as kids 15 years ago and have no idea that a new Crossman 66 Powermaster sells for $50 at the Sports Authority. For me to buy something that's 15 years old I'd pay maybe 20 bucks for that rifle. It's only 600 fps and God only knows how long the seals will hold up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would go with .22 instead of .177. More weight = more knockdown power. I know it's not in your price range, but look into the Benjamin Marauder. Awesome air rifle. You don't need FOID or FFL to get air rifle btw.

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
The following was an amendment to the FOID law in Illinois, effective as of July.

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Excludes from the definition of "firearm", any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or (rather than and) which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second. Effective immediately.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bil...cTypeID=HB&LegID=63317&SessionID=84&SpecSess=

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;

(1.1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
Therefore, by the first provision, a .177 pellet gun is NO LONGER considered a Firearm in the state of Illinois, therefore is not restricted.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Therefore, by the first provision, a .177 pellet gun is NO LONGER considered a Firearm in the state of Illinois, therefore is not restricted.
Not entirely true, if it is >700fps, then's it's still a firearm by definition. Besides, OP wanted something >700fps. Regardless all you need is a FOID, not FFL. Or you can just order online...(another tcmalker's illegal advice :lmao:)

edit: I just reread that, bek is right I think. The wording is so fucked up. "...not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has ..."????

·
Registered
838 Posts
they might want to change that definition, you got 2 cases here:

1. .177 air rifle that goes 1200fps. That thing will go right through your skull.
2. large bore air rifle (9mm) that goes 700fps has so much muzzle energy and will kill you also.

Like this one:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Dragon_Claw_Air_Rifle/2499

which shoots .50" rounds at 679fps producing 230ft/lbs energy (more energy than .380!!!)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The OR comment leads me to believe that if the rifle meets or exceeds either of the criteria then it shall be considered a firearm. Either .18 cal OR 700 fps.

In this case, what I'm looking for would be subject to this new definition of a firearm. So if I order from Amazon or Gunbroker (read, anywhere online) I'd be in violation. I assume that the violation would be I didn't present my FOID card to the seller or something.

Thus, I assume the best way to comply with the law is to have it transferred to an FFL. Kind of kills the used market for these IMO and also makes all those sellers on Craigslist potentially unknowing bad guys.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just reread that, bek is right I think. The wording is so fucked up. "...not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has ..."????
The word OR was retained. The word AND was crossed out in the bill that became law.

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Not entirely true, if it is >700fps, then's it's still a firearm by definition. Besides, OP wanted something >700fps. Regardless all you need is a FOID, not FFL. Or you can just order online...(another tcmalker's illegal advice :lmao:)

edit: I just reread that, bek is right I think. The wording is so fucked up. "...not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has ..."????
My cut & paste did not show that AND was crossed out and replaced with OR.

Here is a reference to the FINAL REVISION:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K1.1

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second;
Therefore, pneumatic "guns" with a projectile NOT exceeding .18 inches OR max muzzle velocity of less than 700 fps, are equally excluded from the definition of a FIREARM.

In either case, an FFL is REQUIRED if you are dealing with a FIREARM that crosses state lines.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5,593 Posts
pre charged is very loud.

spring heavy with bounce.

CO2 soft.

A little more money. but I've found the RWS model 52 in 22cal.very effective in the field.

The Beeman R1 in 20cal is a nicer gun with the best warranty in the business.

You can come shoot both if you like.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5,593 Posts
Do you have a place to shoot ?
I take my guns up to Wis. on the weekends.

I could come visit you. If you have a safe place. these guns need some room.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm an article II member.

5,593 Posts
Great ????what's that mean??

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Article II gun range in Lombard just east of 53 of North avenue.

·
Boom
13,174 Posts
I just bought the crosman fury @ Walmart yesterday, it was on sale for ridiculous $68. Usually it's around $100. It's spring, .177, 1000fps with lead, 1200fps with alloy. First couple of shots were louder than 22lr. Just got back from putting about 25 rounds thru it in my backyard:

After only few shots, it got significantly quieter. Should've recorded a little video...

Before the above setup, my first shot was thru a wooden door, with 1/16th steel behind it. It went straight thru the door, and almost thru the dang steel at 10 yards with these cheapos:

I'd say it's plenty powerful :laughing

I'm really becoming a fan of these pellets:

They are doing some serious damage to my target/catcher though, so they are going to be my hunting loads only.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.