Chicagoland Sportbikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need a 24mm allen wrench to extract the front axle on my '02 gixxer 600. I don't have one. Even if I did, its hard to torque the bolt to spec using one. Does anyone have something like an inverted socket in this size?

The other ideas I have come up with include:

1. finding 24mm allen wrench and attemping to hack "L" portion off so I can use the long side in conjunction with 24mm socket.

2. getting 24mm bot and nuts and welding together to do similar function

3. welding 24mm nut to old socket and proceding as if an inverted socket.

any other ideas? I have no welding torch so I need to find someone that does for options 2 and 3.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Go to sears and buy a 24mm on a socket. I've got a torque wrench you can put it on if you need.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: allen wrench for front axle?

Crazy said:
Go to sears and buy a 24mm on a socket. I've got a torque wrench you can put it on if you need.
i tried their website and couldnt find anything that large. you sure they have it?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Re: Re: Re: allen wrench for front axle?

Vcook said:

i tried their website and couldnt find anything that large. you sure they have it?
They usually have stuff like that.

If they don't how quick do you need it? Try looking for a Mac Tools or Snap-On website. They'll have it for sure. Otherwise I can have my dad order one through his shop.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
hey cook..that method we talked about...that didnt work?

dont you have that in your little toll kit that came with..and jamm a socket over the other end of it to use?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there isn't anything in the tool kit that looks like it fits quite right. I kinda need this soon, I hope to pull the wheel off tomorrow. I'm sure I will figure something out.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
i got a 17, & (18or 19)

are you sure you are looking at this right...you know both sides of the axle . 1 side is BIG and the other side is SMALLER....the smaller side is usually (on almost all bikes) the side that is the (plug with threads or the bolt its self ) and the other side is the receiver ....the once the axle goes in...you put the receiver side back in and snugly tighten the main nut...then you tighten the pinch bolts on the receiver side to keep it from turning..then torque down the bolt side.

(just a general method to see what i am talking about) hope this helps?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to remove the front axel on the '02 gixxers you need to:

1. loosen pinch bolts on right hand fork leg
2. loosen axel bolt from same side
3. unbolt brake calipers
4. extract axle bolt from right hand fork leg
5. remove wheel

this axel is a 24mm allen head.

·
YO MAMA
60,258 Posts
cool, you know your on the right track...FUCK...i cant think of anywhere that has them for sale that big :mad

maybe run to DGY since your close...i bet they would rent it? or hell maybe borrow it for a few bucks...give the guy a fin and your license ?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i can always do it ghetto style. get a large 24mm nut and put it half way in the hole. then put a 24mm socket on the other side, and crank. its a horseshit way of doing it, but if I dont find what I need at Sears I'm trying it.

Anyone know where the best sears is around here? I usually just go to the one at oakbrook mall.

·
Tgf Og
9,851 Posts
pete doesnt have one? rotflmao!!
i think i have a 24 and a 27mm socket(definetly got the 27. how your gonna get it is a different story!:cheers

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Ok the easy way. Buy a tool if possible.:D Else get a piece of Hex stock 24mm. If you cant get it I can look into getting some. Only need a small piece and a 24mm Socket then. Insert into the socket and into the axel. Done.

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm not sure where I would find hex stock. I found a bolt and nut that measure 24mm across, and used that with a 24mm socket. worked out pretty good. Trident said he would weld the nut and bolt together for me when I get a chance. Then I will have a permanant tool.

thanks guys!

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
Well I was too lazy to get hex stock too on Monday so off the the hardware store I went to do the ole bolt and nut thing to make a hex tool. Worked like a charm. Out came the axel and off to get the new rubber put on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts