Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to put these subs in my suv since they have been laying around for years. I need to get an amp and just a few questions about it. There 2 12" infinity reference that have RMS wattage of 300 a piece so 600rms watts total, 4 ohm. I have been talking to some people and some say just run a mono amp, others say 2 channel amp. I can get a mono and drop it to 2ohm setup, or 2 channel and keep 4 ohm. Its a sealed box and I mostly listen to rock music. What way would you hook up some subs? I know theres some different setups and just curious which way I should go.

· The Violator
4,070 Posts
How much power do you have feeding the other speakers in the system?

A key in choosing the sub amp is getting the output you want from the subs relative to everything else. Since the enclosure is sealed, it may be a little power thirsty to begin with. ;)

· Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much power do you have feeding the other speakers in the system?

A key in choosing the sub amp is getting the output you want from the subs relative to everything else. Since the enclosure is sealed, it may be a little power thirsty to begin with. ;)
For now my stock speakers are just hooked up to the radio. I will be getting some type r 110w total power speakers. I will also get the alpine power pack which will also be the amp for the speakers.

· A.K.A. Vodka Waters
3,773 Posts
If it's a single chamber box, I would definitely go with a mono amp. Run it bridged, bring the subs down to 2 ohm and you're done. If you ran a two channel amp to them within the same chamber, you could end up sending different signals to the two subs and they will fight each other and force distortion and possibly destroy the speaker. If they have the same signal to each other, then when they hit they will both be fighting for the same air space and reduce the throw preventing them from over exerting.

· King Nothing, , ,
17,060 Posts
Troys points are valid. Probably too much to discuss in one reply.

Your SIMPLE answer is:

Sealed box, MONO in parallel to bring down to 2 Ohms, make sure the boxes are airtight, with a good crossover around .....????? depends on the volume and where your boxes are tuned to.

I would guess the volumes for sealed 12's are small enough that no internal polyfill batting material is necessary.

· King Nothing, , ,
17,060 Posts
You can run 800 watts to 250 watt rated speakers as long as the signal is clean (low thd) matching amp watts and speaker watts is a common misconception.

· The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
You can run 800 watts to 250 watt rated speakers as long as the signal is clean (low thd) matching amp watts and speaker watts is a common misconception.
Agreed. It's current and distortion that destroys speakers. Having that extra headroom in the amp is a good thing.

· Banned
6 Posts
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that run 800 h to 250 w ranked sound system as long as the indication is clean (low thd) matching amp watts and speaker watts is a common false impression.
I agreed what's said above!!!

· Registered
180 Posts
If it's a single chamber box, I would definitely go with a mono amp. Run it bridged, bring the subs down to 2 ohm and you're done. If you ran a two channel amp to them within the same chamber, you could end up sending different signals to the two subs and they will fight each other and force distortion and possibly destroy the speaker. If they have the same signal to each other, then when they hit they will both be fighting for the same air space and reduce the throw preventing them from over exerting.
I actually have the same subs ur asking about, 2 -12's in a sealed box. I have a kenwood 1000 watt amp.

The above happened to me, where I used a 2 channel amp and you could literally see the subs opposing one another until I bridged it an then ran them together.

· The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
I actually have the same subs ur asking about, 2 -12's in a sealed box. I have a kenwood 1000 watt amp.

The above happened to me, where I used a 2 channel amp and you could literally see the subs opposing one another until I bridged it an then ran them together.
That sounds like a polarity issue.

· Registered
180 Posts
I dunno. I had the +\- from one channel to the pos/neg of one sub, then had the wiring right for the second sub to the second channel.
I don't remember exactly because it was so many years ago. But either one was going while the second didn't, but I do remember at one point the subs were going opposite of one another.

Weird....
But done with

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.