Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to ride my bike the 60 or so miles into milwaukee to hang out with an old friend of mine. i live in dundee. i'm told it's illegal to ride on the highways and such, so what's the best way to get up there? does anybody know how far the bike path goes? my stepdad told me it goes into wisconsin, but i don't know if it'll get me anywhere close.. any advice?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which bike path?

I'm a wanna-be "cyclist"
the one that goes through east dundee. i know it goes down to st charles at least... possibly further? and i know it goes up to crystal lake at least, but not sure if it goes farther than that?

·
Super Moderator,
43,221 Posts
even if it was legal to ride your bicycle on the highway you'd have to be out of your fucking mind to do it. good luck on your trip!

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
WOW please write up a road report on this adventure and take pics please :O)

Thats just crazy

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW please write up a road report on this adventure and take pics please :O)

Thats just crazy
if my girlfriend ever decides to talk to me again and i can pick up my camera from my 'lil sis' who is her best friend then you bet i'll take some pictures and make a write up. it depends on how much time i decide to take off, cuz i was thinking about riding to upper iowa after that, and possibly down to frankfort as well. if i did that it would be for the rest of summer though...

·
PPF Installer
1,286 Posts
you just can't ride on the expressways, there are plenty of roads that go up that way

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
yup, but more casual. I do 10 miles a night. On weekends sometimes 15-20

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ride to Wisconsin

I am newer to the area and I have been told the same that "the bike path" will go all the way to WI. No one has been anymore specific, and also sections are gravel, not exactly 700x23 territory. After the fourth I need to get back into 150+ miles per week. When were you looking at doing your trip?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
next sunday i wanted to leave at about 10 a.m. and planned on arriving in milwaukee very late afternoon/night

edit: and i'm told that the bike path ends in genoa city, wi. i don't have a problem riding on gravel or anything, though it would tire me out quite a bit more. basically i would need a path through wisconsin into milwaukee on safe roads to bike.

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts
I ride that path regularly but not as far as you need to go. I have gone from St. Charles all the way to WI and back, but not into Cheddarland. You can do a search and find all sorts of maps for trails and put together a route. I ride to Northlake from St. Charles and back about 2-3 times a week depending on whether I have a race that weekend or not. 65 miles round trip each time. I use a combination of the Illinois Prairie Path, Great Western Trail, and the Fox River Trail. FRT definitely goes up to WI from St. Charles but I can't help you from there. Really all you need in WI is more rural roads not necessarily trails. Most of the trails that are labeled as gravel are actually crushed limestone and are fine for my 700c tires. Not optimal but no problems at all. Spend a few minutes planning your route and bring a map. You should be able to do it. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ride that path regularly but not as far as you need to go. I have gone from St. Charles all the way to WI and back, but not into Cheddarland. You can do a search and find all sorts of maps for trails and put together a route. I ride to Northlake from St. Charles and back about 2-3 times a week depending on whether I have a race that weekend or not. 65 miles round trip each time. I use a combination of the Illinois Prairie Path, Great Western Trail, and the Fox River Trail. FRT definitely goes up to WI from St. Charles but I can't help you from there. Really all you need in WI is more rural roads not necessarily trails. Most of the trails that are labeled as gravel are actually crushed limestone and are fine for my 700c tires. Not optimal but no problems at all. Spend a few minutes planning your route and bring a map. You should be able to do it. Good luck and have fun.
how hard will crushed lime stone be to ride on? i would imagine it would tire you out pretty quickly...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not too bad because it is pretty well packed down, but it is not as easy as pavement. Maybe 10 to 15% more effort.
as a pretty new rider, how hard will that make wisconsin for me? i ride 5-10 miles every now and then, and obviously i know that a 60 mile treck will be no picnic and plan on taking my sweet time, but obviously that's not much.

·
DONATING MEMBER
25,071 Posts
as a pretty new rider, how hard will that make wisconsin for me? i ride 5-10 miles every now and then, and obviously i know that a 60 mile treck will be no picnic and plan on taking my sweet time, but obviously that's not much.
It won't be easy, but you should be able to do it. Best thing you can do now is to pick up your volume every day or as often as you can, and then taper off the week of your ride. Start training for it and you will have no problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It won't be easy, but you should be able to do it. Best thing you can do now is to pick up your volume every day or as often as you can, and then taper off the week of your ride. Start training for it and you will have no problem.
bike won't be ready until thursday. i do 5-10 miles on my mountain bike. the road bike has been sitting for a long time. just dropped about 200 on getting it all tuned up, new saddle, new grips... can't wait! i'll start pickin it up though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts