Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
YO MAMA
46,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Shit ton of cash sitting around and I want to start earning some interest on it. Nothing risky, just a simple interest bearing account where I earn the max for letting them hold it.
I want to be able to draw from it or move it around with no penalties etc.

Any good options you suggest.

No I don't want to invest in gold bars or fine art. Lol
Cash has always been king.

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How much interest are u expecting?

Current market on 5 year CDs are 1.8% and that's putting ur money still for 5 years.

Online savings accounts are getting like .75%. Might be the best for ur idle cash with no risk and random access to it.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
You will not have random access to it in CD's, so your only option is savings acct really.

You have to have access to it?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Vanguard total bond market index has a consistent 5% return. You can open an account online. I blend my savings with this and a few other index funds. I have no plan to spend the money right now but I still wanted access to it in case the job goes south or something unexpected happens like a roof job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Vanguard total bond market index has a consistent 5% return. You can open an account online. I blend my savings with this and a few other index funds. I have no plan to spend the money right now but I still wanted access to it in case the job goes south or something unexpected happens like a roof job.
Does it cost x amount to buy or sell this fund? Ive found brokerage sites they offer free buying but sell/trade is like $19 per transaction. Bonds can't tank or can they?

·
CRF50 Squid
9,391 Posts
Deposit it with me, I'll give you 2% interest. I'm FDIC insured.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,391 Posts
And what's a shit ton of cash? Don't even bother responding to me unless it's at least $200K. I don't deal with pocket change.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Does it cost x amount to buy or sell this fund? Ive found brokerage sites they offer free buying but sell/trade is like $19 per transaction. Bonds can't tank or can they?
I can't remember but it's minuscule at best. I really don't think there is any per trade cost. There may be a $5/yr account cost or something.

I looked at Edward Jones too and they wanted $3000 front load cost on $90,000 with a 7% return on a blend of bonds and stocks. That was waaaaayyyy too much for me. The way they figured that would have taken 6 months to pay off the initial costs.

Vanguard is a do it yourself place. They can connect you with an advisor though. That's what I did.

·
CRF50 Squid
9,391 Posts

·
CRF50 Squid
9,391 Posts
This is just the last three months. Obama has been good to me.

·
Pierced & tattooed freak!
3,044 Posts
Better off blowing your $$$ on bitches and brew. Banks don't pay jack shit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.