Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit up Bass Pro shop in Bolingbrook, which has a decent selection of the basic Under Armour lineup (at least for Men...Peanut was pissed that they had only two things for women).

I tried on a Cold Weather compression fit...felt like putting on a giant balloon. I'm sure it would be warm though...

I also tried the Cold Base layer 2.0 which was nice, soft, and comfort fitting rather them compression fit.

What other options are there in cold weather gear besides Under Armour?

I was rather disapointed (but not surprised) that the people working at Bass Pro had no idea how the three different lineups of Under Armour Cold gear differed, and had no suggestions for me besides to buy each and try them out...and return what I didn't like.

I'm open to suggestions.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
Sure, there's tons of stuff out there...

try a poly-pro against your skin, a wool on top of that, then a fleece layer, then weather proof layer, ie rain/wind.

If that doesn't keep ya warm, you're doing it wrong. :laughing:

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, there's tons of stuff out there...

try a poly-pro against your skin, a wool on top of that, then a fleece layer, then weather proof layer, ie rain/wind.

If that doesn't keep ya warm, you're doing it wrong. :laughing:
Sounds good. Polypro seems more reasonably priced.

Any other suggestions?

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Being a bit of a cold-weather guru I recommend going to REI and getting one of their MTS base layer top/bottoms. They are like long-underwear in that they keep you warm, but they also wick away the sweat to keep you dry.

There are two-thicknesses: Mid-weight and Expedition. The expedition is what I wear on summit-days when it is colder than you've ever seen in your life. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/722392

There are other brands at REI. Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Smartwool, and Prana all make great products. REI is the least expensive and works just as well as the others.

Personally, I own a set of Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, and REI base-layers.

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
There is an Under Armour outlet store just over the border in Wisconsin.
And it's huge. I think the exit is Rosecrans?

·
Enjoying Life!!
17,771 Posts
Just so you know and I seen you said you won't go, BUT Dicks has a big sale on what you're looking for right now ;)

Reactions: Mort82

·
Banned
17,542 Posts
Just so you know and I seen you said you won't go, BUT Dicks has a big sale on what you're looking for right now ;)

:laughing: Thanks dude, need some new sweats for running.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is an Under Armour outlet store just over the border in Wisconsin.
I called them. They have the same prices as the online store. Not much of an outlet if it's the same prices...though I've been told that UA is clearing out some older models to bring in some new ones.

What are you doing outside?
Just riding the SV and Photography and Brianne wants to try to get out snowboarding. But mostly to ride the SV as many days as I can. I plan on riding on my birthday this Nov!

Being a bit of a cold-weather guru I recommend going to REI and getting one of their MTS base layer top/bottoms. They are like long-underwear in that they keep you warm, but they also wick away the sweat to keep you dry.

There are two-thicknesses: Mid-weight and Expedition. The expedition is what I wear on summit-days when it is colder than you've ever seen in your life. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/722392

There are other brands at REI. Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Smartwool, and Prana all make great products. REI is the least expensive and works just as well as the others.

Personally, I own a set of Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, and REI base-layers.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I understand Bobby's layering suggestion completely, I just hate buying product that sucks. I have a crapload of Mountain Hardware summer T-shirts I wore this summer that just rocked!

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I'm sure you know about wearing rain gear to help cut out the wind if you don't want to buy a thermal insulated suit with a heated vest etc...

but yeah, if you want some good products check out REI, or even Erewhon, another local active outdoor shop in the area. Pricey, but alternative options.

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
Try brass pro shop in gurnee they have tons of stuff for men and women

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
I hit up Bass Pro shop in Bolingbrook, which has a decent selection of the basic Under Armour lineup.

I was rather disapointed (but not surprised) that the people working at Bass Pro had no idea how the three different lineups of Under Armour Cold gear differed, and had no suggestions for me besides to buy each and try them out...and return what I didn't like.

I'm open to suggestions.
:nutkick:

Try brass pro shop in gurnee they have tons of stuff for men and women
Wat?

·
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔn&#60
11,372 Posts
WAT WAT
considering i was just up there the other day they had different selections of cold gear there. The power trip they have i hear is good also tho no experience with them

Mort you need it explained any further?

·
Moderator,
23,638 Posts
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I understand Bobby's layering suggestion completely, I just hate buying product that sucks. I have a crapload of Mountain Hardware summer T-shirts I wore this summer that just rocked!
MHW makes great stuff. Its cut differently than say Arc'teryx. MHW has more room and isn't as tight on you. Arc'teryx has a slimmer more athletic cut. REI base-layers are closer to MHW's cut.

My favorite is Arc'teryx. Its the coolest looking and fits me the best... but the expedition weight layers I wore higher up on Mt. McKinley were MHW.

·
Serious inquiries only
13,775 Posts
WAT WAT
considering i was just up there the other day they had different selections of cold gear there. The power trip they have i hear is good also tho no experience with them

Mort you need it explained any further?
No, but reading is fundamental :robewizar

Eric said he is not happy with Bass Pro Shop and what they carried. He is looking for alternatives and is open to suggestions... you recommended Bass Pro Shop :lmao:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts