Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to select a couple wines (white riesling and red zinfandel/malbec) for our wedding reception. All beer we are serving is from local breweries so I'd like to continue that theme with the wine, but I know basically nothing about wine.

Is anyone here familiar with any good wines from Illinois in those varieties?

·
Clever Girl
10,122 Posts
As far as taste, I have no idea on what makes a good wine, but I spent a good part of a summer while attending SIU day drinking here:

http://vonjakobvineyard.com/

It was always busy when I went, so there's that.

There are quite a few other wineries in Southern Illinois that would have other options as well.

Here's another one I got drunk at quite a bit: http://www.blueskyvineyard.com/

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Big wine guy here. IL not really known for wine, nor does it have the climate and soil, sorry. Cali, Washington state and Oregon are the best domestic places for wine.
If you are looking for a pretty affordable red that everyone will like I would recommend 2009 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon, runs about $9. Very good wine that will please the masses, usually rates in the high 80's for points.
For a red Zin, Rosenblum Zinfandel Vintner's Cuvee is a good $9 bottle.
2009 Alexander Valley Temptation Zinfandel also very good for a few bucks more @ $11.
There are of course many others and way more expensive ones but for the qty you are going to end up buying it would be very expensive to be buying $30 bottles. Realistically a $30 bottle is not always better than a $10 bottle. Also keep in mind that the hall will charge you $20+ per bottle for a $8 wine, so it is a really good idea to supply your own if they allow it. Just got to know what to look for.
Hope some of this helps, you can of course swap some of the vintages (years) on the above. My suggestion would be to buy a bottle and try it out before buying them all. Don't forget to let the bottle breath after opening it for about 15 mins before drinking when it comes to reds. They really open up.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
For the riesling, go with a german spatlese, the german rieslings are more minerally and the spatlese (i think this refers to the time of the year) are generally more fruity and sweeter.

·
Greg
3,664 Posts
Galena has a few wineries you check out, I think they have offsite stores closer to the city. That is as local as you are going to get. After that, Michigan has a ton of good wineries.

Curious why you chose those two types of wine?

·
Special Agent Lance Boyle
6,648 Posts
there are no good Illinois wines, sorry but there are not.

Get California wines, if you want a white that's not dry but not sugary sweet get Pine Ridge Chenin/Viognier, if you want a little dryer get stainless fermented Sauvignon Blanc. For Red it sounds like you're on the right track with Zin but they can be pricey for good ones, maybe a Syrah for to please a crowd.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
I know there are some wineries in Traverse City, MI that seem to be popular with the locals.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've been doing some reading online and seeing the same feedback.

Under200, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to stick with the caters suggestions of varieties; I'll look at Vinter's Cuvee. I'm getting everything from Binnys and they have that one in stock.

And J thanks for the tips on the Riesling, Binny's has a bunch of spatlese to choose from.

·
Go ahead, I'll catch up
1,224 Posts
If you check with the wineries in Galena, you will find that some of them source their grapes from California. As others have said, there really aren't any good grapes coming from Illinois. I also agree with the poster who recommended buying a couple bottles and trying them. You can find good red zins from Amador County in North Central Cali.

Congrats,
Brian

·
Greg
3,664 Posts
there are no good Illinois wines, sorry but there are not.
That is not a fair statement. I am not an expert, but I did enjoy a few wines from www.galenacellars.com and there are a couple others that way too. Each region will have their own characteristics to their wine and some are proclaimed better then others, but there is no reason to be a snob about it.

Some people like desert wines, i on the other hand find them discussting. That is just my preference.

·
yo quiero su taco
12,463 Posts
word up. muffuckin strawberry boone's farm and some grape swisher sweets and a butt nekkid black broad. That's livin.
:laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.