Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Illegitimi non Carborundu
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having some breathing problems this week and immediately went to see a Pulmanologist. After doing a CT scan, it looks like one of two things are happening. 1) my diaphram (sp) is squeezing my right lung (the one that was punctured in the accident), or I have a partially collapsed lung - or even a little of both. All appears fixable, but was wondering if anyone has gone through that and could fill me in on what I can expect.

Right now there is a little chest pain and it hurts a bit when I breath in deep. I get winded pretty easily too. Other than that, I don't seem to have any other symptoms. I sleep fine at night. The doctor is having me do some deep breathing exercises and wants to see me again next week.

Thanks!

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
Have family members w/ asthma and often pneumonia, ribs out of place poking on the lungs, etc, so I can empathize with the anxiety, discomfort and overall 'oh shit' of it... but neither of those specific conditions... I do wish you well though; breathing problems aren't any fun...

·
Ridiculously Good Looking
32,753 Posts
Yikes - I hope all turns out okay amigo - Be careful

·
Listen to Motley Crue
2,338 Posts
I had a buddy who's lung collapsed on him, said it hurts like HELL, they had to jam a tube in his side. On a positive note he smoke 2 packs of camels a day and still drinks like a fish :cheers

·
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was a little shocked to see my chest film xray and saw that might right lung was 3/4 the size of my left. It looked like the entire bottom 1/4 was gone. Scarey. I hate looking at my insides. I won't do that any more :)

On a side note, when I went in to the CT scan today, they pumped some liquid into my body that made it feel like someone poured warm water all over my organs. It was the strangest feeling I've ever felt - other than getting TBoned by that car in my accident :)

·
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...just make sure it's not pneumonia.. have it double checked...
That was the first question the Doc had. He ruled that out but it has been a concern since the accident to keep an eye on.

·
Moto-Sexual....
2,397 Posts
you had a ct scan with iv contrast (dye)

ive had those in the past...

very strange feeling tho

·
Old Squid on a Blade
9,388 Posts
Just hope they don't have to dart you. The pain is noteable...

·
Thee original azzhole!
6,912 Posts
you had a ct scan with iv contrast (dye)

ive had those in the past...

very strange feeling tho
hell ya...almost like your ready to pee all over yourself....lol

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If the doc didn't want to admit you to the hospital following your chest film he most likely thinks breathing exercises will help clear up the problem.

Based on your history (traumatic chest injury, rib fractures) this type of complication is not entirely out of the ordinary. Do those breathing exercises religiously to help reduce the risk of further complications. Sometimes you need reminders to help - we often tell patients to use commercial breaks in TV programs for breathing exercises - or every time John Madden says "Brett Favre" like the drinking game... You get the idea.

Best of luck with your continued recovery!!

Oh, and in case you're wondering about credentials - I'm a trauma-certified ICU nurse. I mostly work with children now, but the principles are the same ;) :)

·
Sarcasm in every post.
4,536 Posts
I had one in my early 20's. Kim recounted what the docs told me.
Usually the happen to accident victims. Chances are greater if your a smoker or drinker. In my case it was just a "bubble" on the side of my lung that burst.

The initial pain is bad. Bend you over sharp pain on nearly ever breath, along with a water logged feeling. I was admited for 2 days. Never had the tube installed though.

Hope your feeling better. I would guess your feeling much better now though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
wow, that sounds miserable. i knew a guy who had a completely collapsed lung...just woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt breathe. altho you said yours is likely partial so thats a diff case. he thought he was gonna die but they fixed him up good. even on a fully collapsed lung he made it fine to the hospital and all. still cant figure out what caused it. maybe steroids? (i had suspicions but no proof)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts