Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna start doing my basement over the winter but I want someone to show me how to do the framing so I dont screw it up. I've never done it before. I think I can figure out the straight walls. but I am wondering about inside and outside corners and doorways.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
I wanna start doing my basement over the winter but I want someone to show me how to do the framing so I dont screw it up. I've never done it before. I think I can figure out the straight walls. but I am wondering about inside and outside corners and doorways.

Borders has some great books on that stuff. Home Depot has a title and Better Homes and Gardens too. Otherwise Hooligan would know best, but basically just use treated wood and nail the frame track to the floor then basically 16" apart for the wall studs.;)

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotta use treated wood? Why cant I use regular 2x4's? that treated stuff is expensive.

·
Evil Moderatrix,
8,030 Posts
Sub-grade = more moisture/humidity?

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
I gotta use treated wood? Why cant I use regular 2x4's? that treated stuff is expensive.
You don't have to use it but I would just on the floor incase of moisture. Like I said though just the ones that nail to the floor. I've been thinking of framing mine out too but not sure I'm going to get to it this winter so let me know if you need help I'll be there.;) My grandpa was a carpentar so I usually tap him for my q's

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure thier is some more humidity, but you dont use treated studs in a bathroom and thiers tons more in there from the shower and stuff.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
I'm sure thier is some more humidity, but you dont use treated studs in a bathroom and thiers tons more in there from the shower and stuff.
No, cause you put greenboard in bathrooms to block the humidity. Your going to use Drywall in the basement.;)

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I like the thory about putting them on the floors. But if I start using them for all the studs that will be cuting into my Bar/air hockey/ pinball machine budget. :D

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell I'm gonna use drywall o the top half of the walls and panaling on the lower half. (easier to replace if it floods) then paint drywall hunter green with dark oak bar. and lots of brass accesories. and Tv's mounted in ever corner of the room. It will be an irish pub slash sports bar. :D Hell I ve already got the tapper system so this is the next logical step.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
OK I like the thory about putting them on the floors. But if I start using them for all the studs that will be cuting into my Bar/air hockey/ pinball machine budget. :D

:laughing :laughing You don't have to use them on the walls. Go in your basement and look at the base of your stairs. you should be able to see they used treated at the base and regular for the rest. I'm not to worried about flooding in our area but it may be code to do that so I would stick with it.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok cool, sounds like I need to run back to the store. :D

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Hell I'm gonna use drywall o the top half of the walls and panaling on the lower half. (easier to replace if it floods) then paint drywall hunter green with dark oak bar. and lots of brass accesories. and Tv's mounted in ever corner of the room. It will be an irish pub slash sports bar. :D Hell I ve already got the tapper system so this is the next logical step.
If I help ya build it do I get my own stool at the bar.:D :laughing :cheers :cheers

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course. :D I wanna get one of those popcorn machines too. I think that would be cool as hell. I want it to be a real functioning bar right in my basement. that way I never have to leave my home. :D :D

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
You do not want to use treated wood indoors! It outgasses toxic materials (arsenic?) and should not be needed indoors.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a book or two on the subject. Framing is one of the easiest construction jobs for non-load-bearing walls.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmm see crazy, your crazy :twofinger :twofinger

Hey dave I thought it only did that during a fire. If thiers a fire and I'm down there long enought o breath that shit I'm dead anyways.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
BusaDave said:
You do not want to use treated wood indoors! It outgasses toxic materials (arsenic?) and should not be needed indoors.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a book or two on the subject. Framing is one of the easiest construction jobs for non-load-bearing walls.

that used to be the case but you can no longer get arsenic treated wood the EPA has outlawed it.

Like I said it may be code by us because that's the way they build them. When he buys the wood he should be able to ask for a wood safely treated for indoors.;)

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I remeber something on the news about a year ago about all the issues with treating wood, but I dont remeber exactly what they said.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
GsxrTony said:
Hmmmm see crazy, your crazy :twofinger :twofinger

Hey dave I thought it only did that during a fire. If thiers a fire and I'm down there long enought o breath that shit I'm dead anyways.

that's the other thing you need to worry about. Make sure any closed off room has a fire escape.

·
Premium Member
45,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well its got those escape windows As long as I dont cover them over I should be fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts