Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Elmhurst. My wife has been going to a bookclub sponsored by the Elmhurst Neighbors Association mainly because she likes to read and she wants to meet people.

At one of these meetings they start talking about a petition to overturn the local ordinance against raising chicken in your backyard. There is a petition floating around. My wife gets a hold of it and sends it to me.

She tells me that her group discussed it and people were generally for overturning the ban. One of the people said they'd heard the local aldermen said the ban originated back when the town used to be all farms and started to be subdivided around 1900. The Alderpersons (more than just a few) said they believe the ban to be a little old fashioned and would entertain overturning it if supported by a petition of the people.

Now I'm no flaming liberal and I'm also not a social conservative. So I look at the petition, read it through and say to myself, I think this is unnecessary government regulation: Why shouldn't I be able to have a bird or two in my backyard?

The petition calls for limiting birds to no more than 4 per property, no roosters, fenced yard to code, and an easement between property line and coop so it's not too close to your neighbors.

I talk it over with my wife. We agree, with 3 small kids we don't want the responsibility of maintaining these animals but that someday it might be nice to teach our kids where food really comes from.

I told her that I have friends in Naperville and Lisle that have them. They get a few eggs/week. My friend in Lisle has some problems with raccoons though.

So I sign the petition. Like I said, I'm normally not political but a petition that appears at arms length to be fairly straightforward and non-controversial I'd support something like that. It's not the same as posting a campaign sign in my front yard. I have standards you know.

The next week the local paper runs a story on the front page. Again, the story says much of what I wrote above. General representative support, fun, outdated ordinance, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...tl-elmhurst-chickens-20121025,0,7359626.story

So I post the link above in my Indian Princesses tribe's website. Ya, I do this with my 6 year old daughter. She likes the camp outs and hanging out with friends. I like to meet some of the other dad's and talk bikes, hunting and stuff we don't have time for anymore (ya used to be cool but I'm old. It happens and it's happen to you too).

I posted it on the tribe's site just to start a conversation. I figure we're all adults. I also know a lot of the dads are into the outdoors.

Next thing I know I'm being sanctioned, my post is removed and an email sent to all members calling my move strictly political.

OK little did I know that our tribes chief is the husband of anti-coop movement organizer. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I removed the post and attempt to move on.

Jeez, I didn't know people had this much time to give a crap about this stuff.

Suddenly it's about taxes going up to pay for inspections and unkept coops and roosters crowing and diseases and all kinds of what ifs.

Anyone else have a coop or went through this process in their town?

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chickens: Serious business

That being said, i wouldn't want my neighbor to have them.
Ya I thought about that. I have some neighbors who have a compost bin. They are VERY nice people but they never spread the compost so it's now as big as a VW Bug and it attracts flies like crazy. I can't even serve dinner on my deck the flies are so thick.

So I understand not everyone is going to be as attentive to this as I necessarily would if I had the birds in my backyard.

I certainly wouldn't want my neighbors running a farm. But from my experience the city doesn't really do anything about anything anyway. To put it another way, I called city hall about their compost bin and was told nothing could be done to force them into doing something about it.

I also know that city hall can't really do anything about dogs that bark all night or poop in my front yard.

So I don't expect city hall to come rushing over to my neighbor's yard and shut down their chicken coop either.

That being said, I just walked over to their house and asked the old man if he needed help spreading his compost and that solved the problem.

· Pierced & tattooed freak!
3,044 Posts
CLSB cock fight at beemer's house!

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Super Moderator,
34,219 Posts
Ya I thought about that. I have some neighbors who have a compost bin. They are VERY nice people but they never spread the compost so it's now as big as a VW Bug and it attracts flies like crazy. I can't even serve dinner on my deck the flies are so thick.

So I understand not everyone is going to be as attentive to this as I necessarily would if I had the birds in my backyard.

I certainly wouldn't want my neighbors running a farm. But from my experience the city doesn't really do anything about anything anyway. To put it another way, I called city hall about their compost bin and was told nothing could be done to force them into doing something about it.

I also know that city hall can't really do anything about dogs that bark all night or poop in my front yard.

So I don't expect city hall to come rushing over to my neighbor's yard and shut down their chicken coop either.

That being said, I just walked over to their house and asked the old man if he needed help spreading his compost and that solved the problem.
Well you know from the other thread how I'd handle this: poop. bucket.

· Clever Girl
10,122 Posts

· Clever Girl
10,122 Posts

· The Halo hides my Horns
12,629 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Compost should only be flora, coffee grounds, that kind of thing. No reason for flies to be attracted to it unless they are putting meat or sugars in...which they absolutely should not do.

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where will you keep the chickens during winter?
I asked this same question of my Lisle friend. She says they just stay in the coop and she has a heat lamp in there. I think they are OK unless it's 20 below zero or something. I don't know. If they don't make it I'll toss them in the trash or in my freezer.

I'm not too squirmish about eating them either as long as I know what killed them.

· Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That doesn't sound right. Compost should only be flora, coffee grounds, that kind of thing. No reason for flies to be attracted to it unless they are putting meat or sugars in...which they absolutely should not do.
Agreed. They dump egg shells in there too. I think people read about how it's good to have calcium in your soil or something but I don't think egg shells brake down like they hope. I've seen shell in the ground a year or more after dropping them.

The people who owned my home before me used to drop sea shells in the soil probably trying to do the same thing. I still dig them up all the time.

Who knows, I guess that's the point of what the anti-coop people are saying. You get all sorts of stupid and city hall ain't gonna do anything about it after the cats out of the bag.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.