Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like little Diesel has some tapeworms. I treated him this morning with D-Worm praziquantel, but I'm curious for future reference if there is a better or more effective de-wormer for tapeworms and round/hookworms.

·
Puppy Love!
3,462 Posts
That is probably one of the best for tapeworms.

I've always liked Nemex-2 for hookworms and roundworms (most common in pups).
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+14028+522&pcatid=522

Then heartgaurd plus for heartworms. The chewable tablets should be given once a month starting in the spring months and through the summer months.

Rob, are you sure it was tapeworms?? Has your vet done a fecal exam on the pup?

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is probably one of the best for tapeworms.

I've always liked Nemex-2 for hookworms and roundworms (most common in pups).
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+14028+522&pcatid=522

Then heartgaurd plus for heartworms. The chewable tablets should be given once a month starting in the spring months and through the summer months.

Rob, are you sure it was tapeworms??
99.999% Sure. Saw them in the stool.

He is going to the vet ASAP to get checked out for other stuff. I'm a little worried about Parvo since he came from a shelter, but he isn't acting in a way that would set off any serious alarm. Typical rambunctious puppy behavior.

·
Puppy Love!
3,462 Posts
99.999% Sure. Saw them in the stool.

He is going to the vet ASAP to get checked out for other stuff. I'm a little worried about Parvo since he came from a shelter, but he isn't acting in a way that would set off any serious alarm. Typical rambunctious puppy behavior.
You saw the little rice grains?? :laughing

If it is tapeworm make sure you clean any spots he pooped VERY good, otherwise it'll start a vicious cycle. Make sure you even clean his butthole! :laughing

I'm sure the rescue vaccinated him for parvo, and parvo is VERY serious, the pup would more then likely not be spunky. Usually pups with parvo are very lethargic, have bad, very smelly (like a rotten smell almost), and sometimes bloody diarrhea, and will most likely be vomiting. Most of the time they will not even want to eat their food, and then they'll just become very sick looking, and then if it is not treated in time they will die. So, the best thing to do is get him a puppy checkup! Let us know what they find!

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You saw the little rice grains?? :laughing

If it is tapeworm make sure you clean any spots he pooped VERY good, otherwise it'll start a vicious cycle. Make sure you even clean his butthole! :laughing

I'm sure the rescue vaccinated him for parvo, and parvo is VERY serious, the pup would more then likely not be spunky. Usually pups with parvo are very lethargic, have bad, very smelly (like a rotten smell almost), and sometimes bloody diarrhea, and will most likely be vomiting. Most of the time they will not even want to eat their food, and then they'll just become very sick looking, and then if it is not treated in time they will die. So, the best thing to do is get him a puppy checkup! Let us know what they find!
Little creepy crawly rice grains. F'in Gross.

Yep, parvo is nasty stuff. Growing up, my parents bred Rotties, so I've seen how nasty it can be firsthand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts