Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bombshell: Biaggi Signs With Sterilgarda Ducai WSBK!

by dean adams
Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Italian Max Biaggi signed with the Sterilgarda Ducati team this afternoon, insuring that Biaggi will be in the '07 WSBK championship.

The Sterilgarda team ran Ruben Xaus, Marco Borciani (and for a brief period, Giovanni Bussei) in 2007 and their bikes were among the fastest in terms of top speed at the ultra-fast Monza.

Biaggi says he is happy to finally be on a Ducati and looks forward to testing.

source: Soup

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Wow! This is gonna be a great season in WSBK. :woot:

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Not so much a bombshell, but ...

WOOT!!!

:cheers:

·
SV650N
3,117 Posts
Well, I've got my hotel room booked for Miller, anyone else coming along for the USA edition of WSBK Smackdown 2008?

Mormons, Low Alcohol Beer, and Biaggi on a Ducati; whats not to like?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Poor Ducati is going to have a lot of wrecked bikes from him! lol They better hope that nobody in the crowd is holding up a mirror for him to look at himself!

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
Poor Ducati is going to have a lot of wrecked bikes from him! lol They better hope that nobody in the crowd is holding up a mirror for him to look at himself!
He only crashed out of one race this season. That's actually alot less then many in the field.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow thats a first for him. I used to watch him in the motogp and he couldnt keep a bike under him for too long.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Wow thats a first for him. I used to watch him in the motogp and he couldnt keep a bike under him for too long.
I believe you are refering to the 2002 (or was it 2001?) season when Max rode the Marlboro Yamaha and finished 2nd to Rossi. He might have won the title if he hadn't lost the front 3 races in a row. :banghead:

Yes, it was 2001, last year of the 500cc format.

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
I believe you are refering to the 2002 (or was it 2001?) season when Max rode the Marlboro Yamaha and finished 2nd to Rossi. He might have won the title if he hadn't lost the front 3 races in a row. :banghead:
It seems that many people's perception of riders is shaped almost entirely by the Faster documentaries. :laughing:

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
It seems that many people's perception of riders is shaped almost entirely by the Faster documentaries. :laughing:
yes and many seem to forget Biaggi's four consecutive 250 titles.

·
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
11,947 Posts
He only crashed out of one race this season. That's actually alot less then many in the field.
I think that team is already used to Xaus tossing one bike per event into the gravel traps. :laughing:

·
Failed rehab
14,908 Posts
I think that team is already used to Xaus tossing one bike per event into the gravel traps. :laughing:
Only 3 for Ruben.

IIRC, Laconi, Fabrizio and Neito had more unintentional dismounts.

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Interesting comments from Dennis Noyes in an article from 10/28 before the Biaggi signing. he correctly points out that the team will need some extra money from either a sponsor or FGSport to pay for Biaggi. He made the following comments near the end of the article:

One of the major problems that face Ducati is that a strong Biaggi/Xaus team running under a different sponsor’s banner could embarrass Xerox, the official factory Ducati series sponsor.

In 1989 Honda faced a similar situation in the days of 500 Grand Prix racing. Eddie Lawson, the reigning 500 World Champion with Marlboro Agostini Yamaha, teamed up with the famed tuner and team director Erv Kanemoto and HRC agreed to supply a pair of NSR500s to them. Rothmans, then the sponsor of the factory team of Wayne Gardner and a rookie named **** Doohan, decided to hedge their bet by extending their sponsorship to paint the truck and bikes of the American interlopers, and it was a smart move because Lawson won the title for Honda from Yamaha’s Wayne Rainey. The full factory HRC effort collapsed due to injuries to Gardner, who won only a single race before his big crash at Laguna Seca’s notorious Turn Six, but on paper and on TV it was a just another Rothmans Honda title.

The second slot in the Ducati Xerox Corse team has already been allocated to young Italian Michel Fabrizio, who leaves the DFX Corse Honda team, but the red Xerox paint could cover some of the white spaces on the Sterilgarda Ducati team which was often housed next door to the factory Ducati team in 2007 (The Sterilgarda Alimenti company is primarily a milk company which sold nearly 300 million euros of product in 2007).

·
Ciao Marco
3,803 Posts
Glad to see Biaggi staying in WSBK, hopefully I can make the round at Miller next year.

So will Biaggi be on a FO7 or a FO8 next year?

·
You got the talkin' done
15,710 Posts
Glad to see Biaggi staying in WSBK, hopefully I can make the round at Miller next year. So will Biaggi be on a FO7 or a FO8 next year?
He will be on a 1098R, so I guess that's an F08. They won't be running the 999 anymore.

·
Ciao Marco
3,803 Posts
You are correct Justin, I forgot they are allowing the 1098 next season.:cheers:

·
Grid Marshall. ,
29,341 Posts
:laughing...so true.

It's going to be a VERY interesting paddock address over at the satellite Ducati camp...Xaus and Biaggi together, ugh...that's like two of a really pain in the ass ex-gf:jester

·
The Sausage king
3,003 Posts
:laughing...so true.

It's going to be a VERY interesting paddock address over at the satellite Ducati camp...Xaus and Biaggi together, ugh...that's like two of a really pain in the ass ex-gf:jester
LOL!! Rep sent! :lmao:

Good point in the Article Jrock posted, Xerox should consider sponsoring part of the Biaggi/Xaus team because they could embarrass the official factory team and finish ahead of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts