Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been one for the Black Friday BS shopping, nothing I want or need is discounted so deep to get my ass out on the sidewalk at "0 dark thirty". After Christmas sales are just as good, but I rarely shop those either. SO any Black Friday shoppers in this crew. What is you can't live without deal?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree most of the stuff they have is discounted junk. If there is a good item they usually have a very limited quantity in the hopes that people stood outside and want to leave with "SOMETHING".

I will gladly pay more to shop when I want something vs wake stay up all night in the cold. EFFF that.

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Used to go over to Fry's for cheap PC parts. But I'd go late-morning/mid-afternoon, when they'd still have stock but the early AM crowds had thinned.

But nowadays with "Cyber Monday," Black Friday has become obsolete.

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
But nowadays with "Cyber Monday," Black Friday has become obsolete.
Incorrect. Black Friday has grown, and is starting to take over Thanksgiving. Many retail stores, Target, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, will be opening Thanksgiving night, or midnight on Black Friday. We'll see mobs of people still storming the shops for these deals.

Cyber Monday is big, but Black Friday is still a huge money-maker for retailers. Is it far from obsolete.

As for me, I stay away from stores on Black Friday. This year, however, the wife spotted some kitchen items at Kohl's so guess where I'll be at midnight. :mecry:

·
Your Cigar Aficionado
7,065 Posts
Incorrect. Black Friday has grown, and is starting to take over Thanksgiving. Many retail stores, Target, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, will be opening Thanksgiving night, or midnight on Black Friday. We'll see mobs of people still storming the shops for these deals.

Cyber Monday is big, but Black Friday is still a huge money-maker for retailers. Is it far from obsolete.

As for me, I stay away from stores on Black Friday. This year, however, the wife spotted some kitchen items at Kohl's so guess where I'll be at midnight. :mecry:
I should amend that it is obsolete to me. I agree that from a retailer's perspective, it's gotten huge, etc. Honestly, the whole "let's open on Thursday" has really turned me off as well.

·
Greg
3,664 Posts
I've only been out on BF twice. The first time I was interested in a few things from Menards, so stopped in on my way to work. It was kind of crazy, but not out of this world. The second time, I was away for the holidays by the inlaws, had to get out of the house, so in the afternoon went to a local Abt comparable store and bought myself a BR player. I don't get the hype. As mentioned above, alot of the stuff on discount is crap. I think people are just looking for some excitement in their lives.

·
Pierced & tattooed freak!
3,044 Posts
I'll avoid Black Friday like Honey Boo-Boo and Mama avoid vegetables.

·
Wisconsin FIB
2,232 Posts
I'll avoid Black Friday like Honey Boo-Boo and Mama avoid vegetables.
:lmao: Butter and Sketti?
(The only reason I know that is because of South Park)

I avoid Black friday, while I think there used to be good deals on stuff, now its discounted junk. Check carefully on TV model numbers and things, you'll notice its typically only offered during black friday and will typically have less features or a crappier construction.

It's just like outlet malls. Once, they were a place for overstocked items and good bargains. Now, they have stuff made specifically for the outlet mall, and its cheaper quality.

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
I should amend that it is obsolete to me. I agree that from a retailer's perspective, it's gotten huge, etc. Honestly, the whole "let's open on Thursday" has really turned me off as well.
I completely agree. I think consumers should boycott retailers that open on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately people are more concerned with getting a good price on a laptop than with the poor folks that have to work instead of spending it with their family.

·
3,044 Posts
...But nowadays with "Cyber Monday," Black Friday has become obsolete.
This is kinda true. I've found better deals on Cyber Monday compared to Black Friday too, but not on everything. But then again, I've seen better deals on those same things right before Xmas Eve that even beats Cyber Monday. The bottom line is the stores have a lot of crap they want to unload on us, and they'll do any gimic they can to get rid of it.

·
Greg
3,664 Posts
i avoid black friday, while i think there used to be good deals on stuff, now its discounted junk. check carefully on tv model numbers and things, you'll notice its typically only offered during black friday and will typically have less features or a crappier construction.

It's just like outlet malls. Once, they were a place for overstocked items and good bargains. Now, they have stuff made specifically for the outlet mall, and its cheaper quality.
+100

·
3,044 Posts
The Chinese must sit back and laugh their balls off that us Americans have a special day in which we wait in line, camp out and even beat the shit out of each other to buy their goods. The irony.
LOL It's their revenge :)

·
Moderator,
22,442 Posts
Why do you think the Chinese are different from us? They aren't. They stand in long lines for days for the latest and greatest product launches, too. And if they had a holiday shopping season you bet they would be behaving just like us.

http://knowledge.insead.edu/world/china/why-are-chinese-consumers-crazy-for-apple-559

On January 13, Apple launched its latest smartphone—the iPhone 4S—in China. Hundreds of customers had queued overnight outside Apple's flagship store in Sanlitun in Beijing. That morning, the store failed to open on schedule, and soon after, Apple officially announced that the company would suspend all iPhone 4S sales at its Beijing and Shanghai retail stores. The crowd exploded. Some even threw eggs at the store’s exterior.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.