Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the market for a new pocket knife and have read the threads about what company to go with for price vs quality. One thing I didn't see though was tanto vs recurve vs clip point vs etc. I know the physical differences in them shapewise but not so much if one is better for everyday use and others are more specialized

please, inform and discuss

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will you use it for (primarily) ?
it'd be an everyday carry knife, opening boxes/bags, digging the mush parts out of apples, cutting twine maybe a ziptie or two

general use/whatever comes up

·
Irony helps us play!
29,500 Posts
it'd be an everyday carry knife, opening boxes/bags, digging the mush parts out of apples, cutting twine maybe a ziptie or two

general use/whatever comes up
Usually general use like that gravitates towards a clip point.

It's not as aesthetically 'wooing' as some of the other designs (looks like a normal boring knife) but its more defined point can be an advantage when you need the thinner extra reach of the point in some circumstances.

It will come down to personal preference and how your hand and wrist actually feel while doing those tasks.

Some prefer the drop point for this too, especially for cutting things because they can use the increasing curve of the blade to apply pressure to what they are cutting instead of relying on the leverage force of the clip point design. Again, it comes down to what you're most comfortable using and what feels more natural, effortless and safe to you and your hand/wrist.

Actually using one some place that will let you (or borrowing someone's) is really the only true way to tell. That way you can compare side by side what is best for your style.

·
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin
8,791 Posts
If you go to my $600 knife post AG Russell has on their site a picking the right blade for you type thing.

Arch makes a good point with the clip point. Tantos tend to be a bit thick for everyday use on boxes and such.

·
The Halo hides my Horns
12,685 Posts
I had this Kershaw for several years:

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=100

I had lost it in a friends yard three Halloweens ago (yes, I carry it all the time) and he found it a full year and a half later. I buffed off some of the crud that had been caked on it, sharpened it, and continued to carry it (almost looked new again!) until I lost it again a few weeks ago while riding the SV.

I think my halloween costume caught on the clip and flipped it out of my pocket those years ago...and I think my Vanson's mesh liner did the same thing a few weeks ago.

I don't count on someone finding it and returning it to me, but I have to say, that was the best $25 I've EVER spent in my life.

The knife was tough, held a decent edge, and sure took a beating! In fact, my friend said that he found the knife right where he had a few tons of gravel dumped in his yard for when they built a patio. The knife was buried and rained on and probably hit with the lawn mower, and snowed on for sure.

Walmart, $25-$29 bucks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts