Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 10/3/02 - Chicago Tribune

Bob Weber "Motormouth" is one of those Q&A articles in the Cars section. Here's an interesting one:

Q: People whose cars use premium gas don't realize they are being cheated. Most cars use regular so the hose is left with three gallons (my estimate) of regular fuel in it. Thus, the premium fuel buyer pays for premium, but gets some regular.
I stop filling when my tank is about three gallons from full then switch to regular to finish off my purchase so I still get premium for the regular price.
I try to avoid single-hose pumps and also try to follow someone who leaves premium in the hose.

A: We have heard similar laments from fellow motorcyclists and many of them jockey for a pump where the previous customer filled up with premium. (We exercise good manners and allow our pals to go first when the group stops for gas.)
We spoke with some people in the petroleum marketing and dispensing equipment industries who say your fears are unfounded. Yes, you do get a bit of regular from that single hose pump, but not much. The inside diameter is three eighths of an inch so, depending on the length, you get a couple cups of regular, but not three gallons. In a three gallon bike tank this could make a difference, but no in a 20 gallon Lincoln.

·
Who's faster Lupi
4,957 Posts
thats an awful lot of flow for only a 3/8" diameter hose.

·
4,985 Posts
Champ, you're right the hoses are bigger than 3/8, more like 5/8 or 3/4 ID. I have a gas pump nozzle and hose in my garage from a little woops I had a while back with one of my beaters. :eek:t It was pretty cool actually, the breakaway didn't break away so it ripped the hose off above it and tore the whole pump apart, they had to replace the whole thing. Boy did I feel like a moron, needless to say I didn't return to that gas station until I got a new car. But I did get a cool souvenier to hang on my garage wall :laughing . I still cant imagine even a 3/4 hose holding 3 gallons though unless it holds more in the innards of the pump. Interesting thought though, I never did think about how much regular I might be getting when paying for premium.

-Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts